Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Loch Tay?
  • Dair
    Free Member

Im going to Loch Tay (near Killin) for a stag weekend, and there has been a suggestion of mountain biking at some point (the "Holiday Lodges" we are staying at have "high spec mountain bikes" available for use…

Does anyone know if there are descent trails in the area, and, if so, could you give me some idea of where they are?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

*calling Mattoutandabout*

Dair
    Free Member

That should of course be "decent" trails, not "descent" trails. Although suggestions for "descent trails" are also welcome!

coastkid
    Free Member

get OS Landranger sheet 51 & 52,
    alot of landy track stuff SE of loch tay over to to the Sma Glen near Crieff (sheet 52) an unsigned tarmac road SE from Kenmore to Almaree has these tracks either side up top,if weather clear fantastic views up there,sorry no garmin but the landy tracks are on the maps,others may know more descent trails 😮
    oh north side of Loch Tay is forest and quite steep so bound to be some good paths there,maybe signed,

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've ridden my bike up from Lawers to the shielings then carried up to Meall Garbh, then ridden the ridge to Ben Lawers and down the visitor centre. That was twenty years ago, dont know whats possible now. Did it on rigid bikes with cantis

j_me
    Free Member

mcmoonter – thats some proper mountian biking! If you go for that make sure you are well prepared 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I remember it being quite a carry, but the ridge ride was fabulous. 😀

j_me
    Free Member

The run down to the visitor centre must have been a blast .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Was a good ride – think Lawers got banned to bikes shortly threafter due to rare plants and stuff – which walkers don't affect at all obviously.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ should be along any minute to tell us that Lawers is one of the only two hills in the country where biking should be restricted.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and to the OP – I suspect they will be thinking that you might want to follow NCN7 down to Strathyre or Callander

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'm at the other end of the loch, near Kenmore.

One of my favourite local loops is from the Lawyers Inn. Along the road towards Killin. Turn right onto the track opposite Tombreck. Steepish climb then follow east to a small cairn just before the dam at the Lawyers burn. Absolutely perfect singletrack all the way back down to the road, although a bit overgrown with bracken in parts at the bottom. About 2 hours round trip

If you want any other suggestions ping me a mail – in profile

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Loch Tay?’ is closed to new replies.