Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Loch Sunart, Scotland
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m off up the road for a week staying near Loch Sunart. I’ve pencilled in a visit to Fort William.

Is there anywhere else that I should consider?

kcal

Not *so* much off road riding – you have to look hard – but could head over from Strontian to Loch Shiel and along to Fort William the long way?

Trails above Loch Sunart to the old tin mines. Trail part way along the coast from Swordle (Ardnamurchan) to singing sands of Acharachle.

Take your walking boots too, head up round Arisaig, Mallaig. Ferry over to Mull.

lovely part of the world. jealous!

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends what you are looking for.

you got a bike with you or is it a sight seeing hol?

sanna bay and the lighthouse just past kilchoan are worth a look on clear days

as is loch aline if its good weather – nice road on good roads for the road bike route , hardly saw any cars riding out that way. ardnamurchan is much busier and imo due to narrowness more dangerous for riding.

sunart cafe btw is decent coffee and always a welcome half way point doing the glenfinnan loop.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Yes I’m taking my walking boots and long travel hardtail.

Thanks for the info!

13thfloormonk

No chance of taking a road bike then? The roads out there are pretty special, would be far more inclined to take the racer than the MTB. More chance of seeing an otter idly paddling through the water as you glide by on the road as well…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“No chance of taking a road bike then? The roads out there are pretty special, would be far more inclined to take the racer than the MTB. More chance of seeing an otter idly paddling through the water as you glide by on the road as well… “

this + 10000

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s not as many trails as you’d think around there. There’s a track that goes from Strontian to Polloch & Loch Shiel but I dunno what It’s like! The track along Loch Shiel is easy & scenic with the chance of spotting Golden Eagles & Pine Marten.
    Another trail I’ve looked at is from Callop (just before Glenfinnan) & over to Cona Glen. I’m sure this has been mentioned before but not sure.

Kunstler

There’s a track that goes from Strontian to Polloch & Loch Shiel

The coffin road. This has been mentioned on stw several times in recent years. Someone will have to give it a go one of these days. Could be the time is now Chuck…

I seem to remember also that someone on here had done a route along the north coast of Ardnamurchan from Acharacle or Kentra.

druidh
    Free Member

😕

I was sure I’d posted a wee ride report on here of a route I did out that way. I can’t find it using Advanced Search so it has either been deleted (why?) or I’m more senile than I thought.

I started at Glenfinnan, but it’s a loop so would work from anywhere along Loch Sunart too.

Cross the Callop Burn, go up to Callop Farm on a track, then push/carry a short distance south up a signposted track towards Cona Glen. When you reach the flatter ground around the top of the forest, it all becomes ridable again. Follow the track south into Cona Glen and a fast descent. Along Cona Glen to the road.

I then followed the road around to Strontian. There looks to be a couple of options for more off-roading – Glen Scaddle and Glen Gour – but with no track marked, I decided to save them for another day.

Cafe in Strontian. If you’re feeling playful, there are some nice tracks around Ariundle and down to Strontian on the east of the river.

Up the minor road to Scotstown then cut back south on the track and then north west up the Allt nan Cailleach, alternately pushing and riding. There’s a wee cairn at the summit of the col that you’ll be pleased to see.

From there, descend some classic highland bouldery, heathery singletrack, past old mine workings, towards Polloch. A really nice grassy ride through the forest here.

Then follow the track up the side of Loch Shiel all the way back to Glenfinnan.

85km, 1,400m of ascent.

Let me know if you want a GPX file.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the information.

I wouldn’t mind walking up Ben Nevis as well, after a bit of research I’ve found out it takes 8 hours.

Is this just for the ascent? or a total of 8 hours up and down?

Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

8 hours?? Not at all. Going at a normal walkers pace (see Naismiths Rule) you’ll get up in around 4 hours and back down in 1.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Ah right, thanks druidh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

8 hours to push/carry a model T up perhaps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Loch Sunart, Scotland’ is closed to new replies.