Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Location for riding weekend – MTB and Road
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I am looking to organise a weekend of riding for my brother and his mates for a 40th birthday.

There will likely be a mix of roadies and mountain bikers. I am not condoning turning to the dark side, but trying to make the weekend inclusive to those who prefer road riding, because I am nice like that. Probably max 10 people, likely closer to 6-8 at a guess.

Most of his friends will be leaving from the London/M25/M40 sort of areas, although one may be travelling from northern end of the A1. The shorter the journey, the easier, as all have young kids at home.

If possible I would like to organise a comfortable/decent place to stay for the weekend, so am happy to go for self catering, rather than just bunk house type accommodation. It will likely be in the early part of 2015, so somewhere comfortable may be good if it rains/is cold and rides are short.

The locations I had considered were M4 based places – so either Brechfa/Afan/BPW. Snowdonia is amazing, but a lot more effort to get there and if the trip is only 2 days, quite an effort to get to. Would just like to make sure there is some good road riding for those who are into that, as well as proper riding for those into getting a bit muddy.

Any other location recommendations/accommodation suggestions welcome.

dknwhy

Talybont on Usk. Good road riding around the beacons. Good natural MTB and close to BPW. Nice pubs.

ceepers

Exmoor / quantocks?

Beautiful road riding around exmoor, superb mtb on exmoor and quantocks

boxelder

NYMoors – Pickering area. Dalby, great natural stuff and scenic quiet roads.

jekkyl

Isle of Wight?

jota180
    Free Member

although one may be travelling from northern end of the A1

Do you mean Edinburgh or Stevenage?

🙂

gribble
    Free Member

Jota – 😆

Thanks for the above suggestions. IOW probably not on the list, although it is close, would prefer a more remote destination.

Quantocks possible, although given the need to herd sheep, may be easier to do something organised, i..e simple route/trail centre.

jkomo

I’ve always fancied CYB for this, maybe do the old Skool mtb fully catered.
    Or are the roads too ‘main’?

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

How about the Isle of Man, loads of great trails, and can do a lap of the TT course on the road.

the_lecht_rocks

Grantown on Spey. Great roads, great off roads.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions above – are any of them closer than Wales from the south east, where the majority of people will be coming from?

Any cool accommodation suggestions also welcome.

martinhutch

Geographically, I’d be looking at the Peak District. Can’t help you with accommodation, but plenty of people on here will know some good spots.

If you need a trail centre, and North Wales is too far, I guess Cwmcarn/BPW is your best bet. Personally I’d stay in the car for another hour and get over to Coed y Brenin/Antur Stiniog – in for a penny, and all that. If you stayed out near Bala, that would cut down the big drives a bit.

ampthill

If your of to a trail center then I’m sure you can work out all the options for yourself.

But I note you haven’t mentioned the Forest of Dean. Not been buy is nearer

Another option would be Staffordshire. Long Mynd isn’t a trail center but many routes are signed and you can get a trail map. You could probably do a day a Cannock as well

I’ve not ridden on the road but looking out a car window it looked brilliant (that’s near Long Mynd not Cannock)

Mackem

Dales bike centre, Reeth. Bosh up/down the A1 to Richmond then 15 minutes from there.

Tour de France country. Great mtbing.
    http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the other suggestions martin/amp/mack.

I personally would like to go back to Snowdonia again, spend a bit more time at CYB and have another ride on Snowdon, as it was just different to normal trail centre riding.

Forrest of Dean and Dales Bike centre going on the research list – not been to either, so appreciate these two suggestions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Location for riding weekend – MTB and Road’ is closed to new replies.