Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Local wind conditions
  • DT78
    Free Member

Is there an app or website that shows the local wind speed and direction in a little more detail than the bbc? Often on the ground the overall direction is as the bbc but can be quite different in different spots.

scotroutes

The topology of the land can make quite a difference. XCWEATHER.CO.UK might have a better view for you, otherwise Google for local weather stations.

Klunk
    Free Member
    luffy105
    Free Member

Xcweather was always the best for me when trying to go kite buggying. I found it to be the most accurate out of a few for wind direction and strength predictions

mark90
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wind finder is very good.

gravity-slave
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

I’ll take a look at those, cheers

scaredypants

I sometimes use this to see how windy it was when I did a PB or whatever – helps you not get carried away with how great/shit you are

you need to know the ref for a local station though – middle wallop is 03749 if you still live in southampton area

(quite informative when you look at the weather on a day when a strava KOM was set too 😉 )

I tend to look at xcweather before I go out to decide which way I’m going to head first

stevepitch
    Free Member

Xc weather or windguru are both excellent places for accurate wind forecasts. In fact, lots of other site and apps base their data on windguru it’s that good.

Hth

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find WeatherPro excellent for all weather including wind

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/weatherpro/id294631159?mt=8

CountZero

+1 for WeatherPro, I’ve been using it for years, since I got my first iPhone, a 3G.
    Just about the best detail for current conditions, great satellite view and precipitation radar, and consistently accurate.
    Data from Meteogroup, based in the Nederlands.

CountZero

WeatherPro on the phone:

[/url]Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

On the pad:

[/url]Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

DT78
    Free Member

Cheers all, looks like they will all be better than bbc.

SP yes still in soton, and same reason as you, want to know which route to do to avoid the worst of these evil headwinds in the forest. I had a tail wind down RP way into totton today, so the wind was virtually opposite the prevailing direction suggested by the Beeb.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

+1 for Xc Weather also Magicseaweed HERE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Local wind conditions’ is closed to new replies.