Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • local knowledge for the Shipley glen/ilkley moor area? or guide for this Sunday?
  • shaggmiester
    Free Member

Wanting to do something different than the usual peaks or hebden bridge riding that we normally do but not wanting to go as far as the lakes, I’m sure I’ve heard there’s some good technical riding to be had around Shipley glen and it’s where the legend is from himself Chris akrigg, but is there enough to put a good all day ride together? So basically I’m after some good local knowledge or even better a local guide who likes his or her technical riding, wanting to ride there this Sunday, any offers? Cheers.

In return I can show you some nice technical riding around hebden and the peaks as long as you don’t mind cheeky! 😛

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Nobody? I guess we’ll just have to wrecky 8)

ton

it will be ace on a sunday on Shipley glen…….with the walkers and families all around the place.

shred on shredder……….. 😆

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Yeah cheers ton, we’ll try not knock anyone over whilst ‘shredding’ 🙄

pennine
    Free Member

I can see the Glen from my house but off elsewhere on Sunday. Sorry!

Saltaire Festival ends this Sunday so there could be more than the usual number of people on the Glen.

Sancho
    Free Member

its never busy at Shipley glen and the families enjoy watching you ride the technical, but shipley glen is tame, you need to get over to Cottingley etc

martinhutch

If you want to shred the kind of stuff that Akrigg was doing in that last vid, watch out for all the broken glass and assorted shite underneath the outcrops on Shipley Glen, or you may end up shredding more than you planned for.

sparky1uk
    Free Member

Is Skipton too far? If not…

Skipton – North over Sharp Haw – Rhylstone – climb up onto Barden moor to Bolton Abbey then Skipton Moor back into Skipton.

martinhutch

That’s almost entirely non-technical though, not sure the OP is after that.

pennine
    Free Member

Sancho: Get him up to Stainburn. That should fit the bill nicely 😈

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Sancho – Member
    its never busy at Shipley glen and the families enjoy watching you ride the technical, but shipley glen is tame, you need to get over to Cottingley etc

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Cottingley as in near to Leeds? Never knew there was anything there,

pennine – Member
    Sancho: Get him up to Stainburn. That should fit the bill nicely

POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Stainburn? Is there’s some secret proper tech at the side of the trail centre stuff?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

sparky1uk – Member
    Is Skipton too far? If not…

Skipton – North over Sharp Haw – Rhylstone -climb up onto Barden moor to Bolton Abbey then Skipton Moor back into Skipton

No where is too far really if the riding is decent, just getting a bit stalled with the same places, cheers

ton

get yersen oer black hill with trout n noggin…….if you dare!!

Mugboo

Harden Moor is where it’s at for tech. Full of old quarry works to hurt yourself in. No long descents but plenty of lines/rocks plus a couple of nice steep lines into the woods on the Deep Cliff side.

You could then drive or canal it over to Esholt for a blast over there. Put a shout out for Simon, if he’s available he’s your man.

Feel free to drop me an email, if I can help I will.

Simon

What Mugboo said. I’m unavailable though on Sunday and probably not man enough to ride with the Sweary Northerners anyway! 🙂

Mugboo

I could do the sweary bit.. 🙂

shredder
    Free Member

Cheeky on Otley Chevin both sides ,drop down into Guiseley then onto Esholt loads to play on in there.
    On the canal and up to the Glen plenty on both sides of the beck. Through and out and up through St Ives to Harden Moor.
    Loads to go at would be doing it myself but will be on the top of Helvellyn 😀
    Have fun.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hang on what’s the OP after? Good singletrack, or trials type riding?

Mugboo

Have a search around for a sweary northerners vid, defo on the techy side. Although I’m sure they don’t mind sweet singletrack.

Might be able to show you some stuff on Sunday if I’m sober enough. As long as you don’t expect me to ride it 🙂

Simon

This kinda thing I imagine……

[video]http://vimeo.com/74569917[/video]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Harden Moor is what I was thinking, lots of tech problems to discover/play, lots of singletrack to race around on as an alternative. Deep Cliff (on an OS map) has a few good lines. As always, local knowledge is best. One of the playgrounds of Chris Akrigg.
    Mugboo spent a few days clearing and crafting this, within 8 months every numpty was riding it

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Ok cheers mugboo, I will look into this harden moor, Simon, if you can show us some good trails, I promise I will watch my language 😉

FunkyDunc – Member
    Hang on what’s the OP after? Good singletrack, or trials type riding?

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

We do like them steep n techie kinda trialsy but sometimes not so steep and techie is also nice if it has a bit of flow 😀
    Trials is good but I’m no Chris akrigg! 😆

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Looks very good that b.a.nana! Harden moor I reckon! 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We’re currently working with Bradford Council to do some trail building around this general area. There’s been lots of recent protesting from ‘persons’, causing us and BMDC problems, so please be respectful and non confrontational. Just calmly walk away from any angry old ladies waving their walking sticks at you, please. Don’t give them reason to write more angry letters to the local councillors 🙂

shaggmiester
    Free Member

We will respect Bradfords country side and local footpaths as well as show politeness to our fellow gamblers…however, if I get shoved off my bike, things might be different! 😈
    Yeah seriously though, I understand what your saying B.a.nana 😉

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Ramblers not gamblers! 😆

Blower
    Free Member

you need to get over to Cottingley etc

where you from Sancho?

ianv
    Free Member

The stuff at Shipley Glen is on the Shipley end, and below the crag. There is also a quarry at the eldwick end with some lines/drops/jumps. Cottingley woods has some steep lines (the other side of the valley towards wilsden). Harden moor is also not bad (but not mega). Esholt is pretty good as well (head up the access road to the sewage works and look up the hill)

Blower
    Free Member

think it all needs linking into a ride

spikey
    Free Member

You could have a look at posthill loads of techi play stuff there
    Also blackcar wood has some nice bits too.

Mugboo

What time are you thinking of starting?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member
    What time are you thinking of starting?

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

About 10 start over Shipley glen, you gonna guide? 😉

Mugboo

Drop me an email at mugbooatgmaildotcom and we’ll see if we can sort something out.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Tried sending you a message mugboo, it says message failed, is that address correct?

Blower
    Free Member

are we off to Stainburn then 😆 😉

Mugboo

mugboo@gmail.com

Simon

Edited, didn’t see that last post…

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Blower – Member
    are we off to Stainburn then

POSTED 48 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Haha, I don’t think so! I think pennine and sancho are talking about the main line stuff,

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Mugboo- ygm

Mugboo

Sorted

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘local knowledge for the Shipley glen/ilkley moor area? or guide for this Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.