Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Local food for local people.
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ladybird – bishy-barney-bee
    Woodlouse – sowpigs
    Dodmans – snails

There’s some stuff like that on the IoW.

Obvious ones here are caulkhead (someone born here), ov’rner (someone that’s moved here, but is generally accepted) and grockle (holiday maker). There’s also DFLs (Down From Londons – not a compliment).

My favourite is WAFI – wind assisted effing idiot – which usually refers to rich sailers that can’t sail for toffee. Quite prevalent during Cowes Week, often identified by their bright red lower trouser plumage.

maccruiskeen

Staffs oatcakes aren’t weird, they’re the food of the gods.

Not at all weird – but very much local to there. Its surprising they haven’t travelled more widely as they are properly lovely, and convenient, and versatile. It seems mad really that they’re not on sale everywhere.

Not so much a local dish but a comestible that I didn’t realise was ‘local’ until I left the area…. Growing up in St Helens you could buy ‘Dundee Biscuits’ – really big shortbread biscuits coated in chocolate on one side – so big that a packet only had about 5 biscuits in it. Having moved to Scotland since I assumed ‘Dundee Biscuits’ would be a thing here – but they’re not even a thing in Dundee. It seems they were made and sold pretty much only in the Northwest of England and called ‘Dundee’ for no real reason at all.

And on the small scurrying animals front – while most people would say that ‘Moggy’ is a cat – in Wigan a Moggy is a mouse and in St Helens a Moggy is a spider (or anything wingless and scurrying with an exoskeleton so potentially woodlice/slaters too)

maxray
    Free Member

We always used to call them parsons pigs. No idea why.

Not a fan of mince other than in bolognaise really. .. fekkkin love toast tho!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Local food for local people.’ is closed to new replies.