Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Local food for local people.
  • zippykona

My family come from a small village in Surrey and there seems to be 2 meals which are found nowhere else.
    First off is mince on toast.
    Toast and minced meat with gravy on top of it , boiled potatoes and veg.
    Then spotty dog which everyone else calls spotted dick but we have it with butter and sugar on top rather than custard.
    We were out for dinner with friends last night and I requested that my spotty dog came Tandridge style. Our Hampshire friends remarked that their friend had it the same way and it transpires that she was from my village.
    We also call wood louse cheese bugs.
    Anyone else eat those meals?

loddrik
    Free Member

sbob
    Free Member

Cheesey bugs?

[video]https://youtu.be/TQpasvqJ3Ns[/video]

andytherocketeer

Mince on toast sounds bad, never heard of it, even in the brief period I resided in Surrey.
    Pilchards on toast is ace though.

From Kent, and we also call cheesey bugs “cheesey bugs”.

Being from Kent, the local delicacy there is Gypsy Tart. The only constituent of school dinners that was nice.

sbob
    Free Member

Bolognaise on toast is nice.

njee20
    Free Member

Mrs njee20 calls them cheesy bugs too, she is from a village in Surrey, but not one in Tandridge!

scotroutes

I’ve had mince on toast many times – East Central Scotland.

theotherjonv

not cheesey bugs, but cheeselogs (born and brought up in Reading)

And not mince on toast but mince with crusty bread dipped in it to scoop it up.

Kuco

Mince on toast 😯 thats just doesn’t sound right.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mince on toast is food of the gods. Fife reared but possibly lenzie or liverpudlian derived as my parents did the cooking obviously.

See also bolognaise or chilli on toast.

hols2
    Free Member

Mince on toast sounds bad

I knew some Australians who were quite fond of it. If you put enough cheese on top and grill it, it’s quite palatable.

taxi25
    Free Member

Curry on toast is a favourite in my house. Just a way of using up leftovers.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Woodlouse are called “Slaters” and they would never eat mince on toast never mind spotted dick without custard. Central Scotland*

*A place chock full of excellent food ideas, and bugs.

hammerite
    Free Member

Chocolate toothpaste https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2087637/chocolate-toothpaste-

Bedfordshire Clanger.

gallowayboy

Mince sandwiches. Yesterdays mince, white bread, bit of mustard. Grand.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

2 slices of thick untoasted bread and mince + gravy on top was a favourite apres school tea.

Yum.

wiggles
    Free Member

Chips, cheese and curry sauce (from the chippy obviously)

scaredypants

mince on toast

yeh, Teesside. Also a slice of bread & butter to mop up gravy after, well, anything really

Spotted dick without custard though – criminal

greentricky
    Free Member

Wall fish

vinnyeh

DP 8)

vinnyeh

New Zealander, mince on toast was a staple growing up. Preferably with worcester sauce on top.

Had loads of stuff (home cooked, not necessarily commercial) that I’ve never seen in the UK.

miketually
    Free Member

Bread to mop up the gravy was standard in Darlington too, which is like Teesside but posher.

We have Pease pudding in ham sandwiches. Pease pudding is made by boiling split peas until they form a mush; often with the water from boiling a ham added.

Drac

My gran use to serve mince on toast, she was from the NE coal towns.

40mpg

Dunno about the food but woodlice = cheesy bobs round ‘ere (southampton)

garage-dweller

Bolognaise on toast is nice.

This is going to sound odd, but add a fried egg on top.

Had this in South Africa. Basically a beef ragu on toast topped with a fried egg. Mrs g-d was not convinced when I ordered it. I thought it was very tasty.

Unlike the roiboos latte she ordered. Yes that’s rooibos tea in place of the coffee with steamed milk. This should not be a thing.

CountZero

Woodlice = chuckypigs around my part of North Wilts.
    Dunno about mince on toast, but chili on toast sounds pretty damned good, with a nice strong cheese on top.
    Never thought of it before, going to have to give it a try now!

wiggles
    Free Member

Why have all you weirdos got so many names for woodlice? They already have a name…

zippykona

Yes , cheese bugs.

ajantom

Hmmm, mince on toast. Not had it, but I can see the attraction.

My wife (north Devon lass) calls woodlice ‘chiggy pigs’. I just call them woodlice.

oink1
    Free Member

Chuckie pigs here in Bristol 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

For 2.5 million years, humans wandered and hunted and gathered. Only 10k years ago we started to stay put and grow food in quantities and turned wheat into the most successful plant ever.

My point being, gluten and wheat intolerances…

Makes you think about mince on toast in a whole new light. Have a lovely day 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From South Australia the Pie Floater

mattbee

Used to have pie floaters in Oldfield’s cafe in Barnsley indoor market back in the ’80s.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Woodlice are indeed slaters (Ayrshire as a kid).

joshvegas – Member
    Mince on toast is food of the gods. Fife reared but possibly lenzie or liverpudlian derived as my parents did the cooking obviously.

I’m in Lenzie now, and I’m sure I heard the helpers mention mince on toast whilst scrubbing the marble staircase.

onehundredthidiot

Fried mushroom sandwich.

Oh slaters.

allfankledup

Chuckie pigs here in Bristol

A chuckie is a term used for a stone (Ayrshire again) – i wonder if there is a link there….

scud
    Free Member

I married a Norfolk girl and live in rural North Norfolk, still have no idea what her dad talking about some of the time and i’m sure he does it to wind me up (always reminded i’m an interloper and that i married in to the Peoples Republic of Norfolk)

Ladybird – bishy-barney-bee
    Woodlouse – sowpigs
    Dodmans – snails

unovolo
    Free Member

We also call wood louse cheese bugs

Known as ‘Pill bugs’ in Trumpland.

Milkie
    Free Member

Toast-Peanut Butter-Mayonaise-Marmite-Toast

Stoner Sandwich.. It was very nice. 😉

Cosmic Yogurts on the other hand are **** disgusting! 😆

prawny

Wood lice in cannock although I do have vague memories of pig based names for them. But I don’t use them.

No weird food locally for us either AFIAK – Staffs oatcakes aren’t weird, they’re the food of the gods.

Used to be partial to a Ketchup sandwich as a kid, along with banana and brown sugar sandwich.

Didn’t/don’t eat a lot of gravy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Local food for local people.’ is closed to new replies.