Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Local elections next month, who you going to vote for
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if theyre all jumping through hoops like trained poodles to get their name and picture in the papers.

Is it actually worth voting for any of them, and let apathy win.As in a few days after the election ,they seem to forget their promises.They dont seem to forget their wage or expences though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You do realise that anyone within very broad perimeters, such as a British national, can stand for election, don’t you project ?

Even someone like yourself who has the highest moral integrity, would never lie, and would never be interested in the money or expenses.

And more important of all, everyone is completely free to vote for them if they so wish.

So where’s your problem ?

Esme
    Free Member

If they were doing it for money, a job at Aldi would pay much better, with far less hassle, believe me 🙄

ebygomm
    Free Member

Well a lot of people won’t be voting as there aren’t local elections in many places next month

project
    Free Member

If TJ stood i would vote for him, he seems like a well balanced chap.

chewkw
    Free Member

Tories … just because I think the others are shiter.

I am Lib Dem & Labour strong hold …

Oh ya … I think all of them are maggots regardless of their political affiliation and I usually vote against whoever hold the majority in that area. I am the swing voter … I love swinging … 😆

I bet TJ will vote for Dear Leader … Chairman Mao loves you.

donsimon
    Free Member

The local Tory boy.

dabble
    Free Member

The Silly Party

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

project – Member

If TJ stood i would vote for him, he seems like a well balanced chap.

I do wonder about standing – thing is we have some green coucellors locally ( multi member constituencies) so i would be running the risk of splitting the green vote standing as a green / cyclist / independent / pain in the derrière

I Shall be voting Green.

donsimon
    Free Member

so i would be running the risk of splitting the green vote standing as a green

I’d be asking the mods to be deleting this thread.

kimbers

i suppose ill have to vote ken, even though hes a twunt its a 2 horse race and borris is only in it for his friends in the city and is generally a crap mayor

nick1962
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

NOT this guy…

hh45
    Free Member

Boris.

totalshell

as the midwife whose home i was working in last week said… everyone blames the tories for the cuts but its labours fault they let the NHS employ thousands more than they really needed..

the NHS the 5th largest employer in the world..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

totalshell – Member

as the midwife whose home i was working in last week said… everyone blames the tories for the cuts but its labours fault they let the NHS employ thousands more than they really needed..

the NHS the 5th largest employer in the world..

So the point you’re trying to make is that you’ll be voting Tory in the local elections next month ?

Presumably, because the Tories will be sacking people from the NHS – yeah ?

Kryton57

Boris all the way. At least he looks like he’s dooing a “job”, at rather than the whiny-voiced Mr negative-seek-only-to-discredit that is Red Ken.

thomthumb
    Free Member

that would hold true if the tories were sacking people from the NHS but they’re fundamentally pulling it apart.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not true anyway. the number of staff the NHS needs depends on the activity you want it to do.

see the massive reductions in waiting times and massive improvements in treatments? Down in large part to teh increase in staff

Its staff that provide the service. lESS STAFF = LESS SERVICE

oldbloke
    Free Member

Hmm. Edinburgh, so none of the parties have really done themselves any favours over either the trams or the outsourcing of council services. When I tried to talk to 4 colours of local councillors about concerns on the latter, only the blue one responded. So I reckon I’ve got to vote for the only one who engaged with constituents when asked to. Feels weird that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oldbloke – Green?

Or the independent standing in southside?

druidh
    Free Member

Edinburgh also – and with one of the Conservative candidates suggesting that we have an issue with immigration, you can guess she’ll not be getting one of my votes.

kimbers

Kryton57 – Member
    Boris all the way. At least he looks like he’s dooing a “job”

so you vote for someone who looks like hes doing a job rather than actually doing one?

borris has increased pollution, put travel fares through the roof , couldnt be arsed to come back to london when the riots were on and his only policy plan seems to be to build a floaty island in the thames for planes to land on?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Labour – no way. Have we forgotten the invasions and incessent willful lying? A self serving bunch of unwashed jock straps is about the most apt description of the last government.

Conservative – see above, substitute the lying and invasions for policy u-turns by the day and the selling off of everything to their mates. Still a bunch of unwashed jock straps.

Liberal – 🙁

Green – can we have some sensible green policies that don’t simply hit low earners in the pocket please? Oh and where do you guys stand on nuclear energy these days?

druidh
    Free Member
    oldbloke
    Free Member

TJ – Green was one of the ones who didn’t respond.

Gordon Murdie has his appeal, but he opposed the outsourcing of services. I don’t know about 2 of them, but the outsourcing of waste services from CEC has significant merit. I used to work in the waste industry and I know how far behind the city is.

kimbers

id love to vote green, they just loose it for me completely with their science policies!

Kryton57

kimbers – Member

so you vote for someone who looks like hes doing a job rather than actually doing one?

Yep, which means most of us posting on here would get my vote. 😀

Out of the shambles that either of them produced, at least Boris has created something useful to me directly. Tubes with air-con, nice buses (will reduce polution, the boris bike scheme is a runaway success (and reduces polution), oh and council tax hasn’t increased for a few years now.

I do believe however, I’m still paying back, without obvious signs of any gain whatsover the cost of having labour in power.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Could never vote Tory. They are the enemies of everyone apart from the rich – they don’t give a stuff about ordinary people, because they simply have no idea what it’s like to be one.

Have voted LibDem in the past, especially after the Iraq fiasco, wouldn’t now because they got in bed with the Tories – see above.

Would like to vote Green if they were credible. Or a decent independent if there was one.

Sadly Labour seems like the best of a pretty bad bunch. I don’t like Ed Miliband, but at least he’s not a smarmy git like Blair.

On the question of who ruined the economy – let’s get this straight EVERYONE had a hand in it not just a political party, there weren’t that many people who weren’t taking the loans and credit the irresponsible greedy banks were dishing out when they shouldn’t have been to do home improvements, take on mortgages for houses they couldn’t afford, and buy stuff they couldn’t afford. People I know have lost their homes or ended up in negative equity, ended up on IVA’s or facing bankruptcy because their entire lives were on credit!

I include people at every level of society, as well as businesses, who were greedy, and greed and mindless consumerism as well as those who glorify it are responsible for the crisis.

anagallis_arvensis

Anyone who will beat the tories for me. Anyone here voted Tory/Libdem in the general and changed their mind?

CaptJon
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Anyone who will beat the tories for me. Anyone hear voted Tory/Libdem in the general and changed their mind?

Yep. Voted Lib Dem and even though Labour won my constituency i regret it. I’ll be voting Labour and hopefully see the Lib Dems wiped from Newcastle City Council.

kimbers

Out of the shambles that either of them produced, at least Boris has created something useful to me directly. Tubes with air-con, nice buses (will reduce polution, the boris bike scheme is a runaway success (and reduces polution), oh and council tax hasn’t increased for a few years now.

ok borris bike scheme was infact done by ken borris just launched it and named the bikes after himself
    nice buses, only cost 1.4 million each !!
    borris also axed the western extension of the c-charge zone for his friends in kensington & chelsea (leaving a huge hole in tfl finances to boot) and scrapping kens planned charge on the most polluting vehicles
    and the price of a single bus fare has doubled

meanwhile pollution has gone through the roof and borris failed to issue pollution warnings five times this year when he was supposed to
    as well as using pollution suppresants infront of monitoring stations to make it look like pollution wasnt as bad as it was!
    http://cleanairinlondon.org/

trailmonkey

Anyone who will beat the tories for me

so vote for another party with virtually the same approach to economics but with a slightly more authoritarian approach to society or a party that will jump into bed with the tories despite telling the public that it opposes them.

excellent strategy for defeating conservatism.

ChrisL

Quite a lot of the comments in this thread indicate that people will be voting in the council elections based on national politics. I can’t say I’ll do anything different, TBH, unless I become a lot more engaged with local issues in the next few weeks than I currently am. (Actually seeing some election materials would help a little.) However it does seem a little silly that we’re choosing our councillors based on what their national leadership thought about the Iraq war, or what Maggie Thatcher did in the ’80s.

jonba
    Free Member

Newcastle lot seem to all be equally useless so I might see if any small parties or indendants are worth voting for. They all say how bad the others are and why you shouldn’t vote for them rather than actually saying what they will do. I assume this is because there are some unpleasant decisions to be made and no one wants to make them.

I’ll also be voting for us to have a mayor.

mefty
    Free Member

borris also axed the western extension of the c-charge zone for his friends in kensington & chelsea

The people I know who live in K&C are much worse off as a result of the abolition because they now have to pay the full amount to drive into the West End and the City which they do every day, rather than the discounted rate for those living in the zone.

Kryton57

ChrisL – Member
    Quite a lot of the comments in this thread indicate that people will be voting in the council elections based on national politics.

Which is precisely why I was selfish in my explanation. I use Tube & buses every day, so I’m happy to pay a bit extra to have decent (semi) reliable, comfortable kit and commend Boris for doing so.

The police presence has increased and gone down in our area, the parks etc are being maintened to a higher standard etc

I’m voting based on how I’ve been affected by the people running my locale, I actually don’t care which party they belong to (although I’d balk at any kind of extremism).

mrmo
    Free Member

choice i face is Lib-dem, Labour or Conservative,

Conservative, no chance, poll tax, party of the rich, building PFI in the UK, PFI-ing the new fire stations, state of Gloucestershire, council tax levels, etc.
    Labour, no chance, PFI, financial incompetance
    Lib-dem, they are as guilty as the tories for the state of Cheltenham and Gloucestershire…..

er….

zippykona

Just remember to vote and make sure all your friends/family do as well. The BNP got in by 19 votes once. So your vote will keep the worst of the scumbags out.

CaptJon
    Free Member

jonba – Member

I’ll also be voting for us to have a mayor.

Why?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Local elections next month, who you going to vote for’ is closed to new replies.