Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lobster style gloves, that much warmer on road rides?
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I suffer from cold hands whilst out riding, (which is quite often in Sweden), and have been thinking about getting some lobster style gloves for road riding during the winter months.

Are they that much warmer than normal gloves?

trail_rat
    Free Member

they are ok but bulky i have a set for MTBing

i recomend barmitts. i suffer cold hands too – if training and you spend most of your time in the hoods then they come highly recomended -20 and worse last winter wearing summer gloves under barmitts. – temps almost cold enough for mine to come back out to play – 4 degrees this morning

jonathan
    Free Member

I’f got some ancient Pearl Izumi ones that come out when the temp drops below about -5 C… they’re too warm above that 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, got some craft ones and they are great (they’ve got a full fingered liner thing you can remove as well.) Think just because there’s more room in there for warm air and for your fingers to wiggle about a bit.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Is wearing any type of clothing permitted in Sweden?? Colour me shocked!! 8)

jairaj

My experience from skiing says they are much warmer. Keeping your fingers together greatly improves heat retention.

Full mitts are warmer than lobster mitts which are warmer than gloves. But there is trade off in that they are more cumbersome.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks, those Craft ones look nice on Wiggle.

Google wanted me to search for “bar mitzvah” rather than barmitts though, somewhat different result I feel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Full mitts are warmer than lobster mitts which are warmer than gloves. But there is trade off in that they are more cumbersome.

That is true, they don’t play nicely with Di2 shifters! Don’t have them on the winter bike though so not a problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

jairaj – fullmitts on a road bike are just downright dangerous :d they kept getting stuck inbetween the shifter and the brake lever.

wheelie

I use the Sugoi mits that have the index finger free. When it is very cold i have some silk or merino wool liners in a size bigger glove. Never cold now, and i have poor circulation.

hooli

I have some claw gloves from when I had a motorbike, too hot to use while cycling even when it was -6C.

If you really suffer with cold hands and living where you do, maybe search for motorbike and not cycling gloves? From memory mine are Tucano Urbano.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lobster style gloves, that much warmer on road rides?’ is closed to new replies.