Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Loans, mortgages, car crashes and abysmal timing
  • 2tyred

Oh man.

Really really dumb accident with the car at the weekend, estimated repair cost will probably make it a write off. No other car involved.

Just about to sell and buy new house, written acceptances but not exchanged, mortgage application will probably be done by the end of the month (entry date for new house 3 and a bit months away).

Finances pretty sound, no debt other than existing mortgage, no indication that credit score would be an issue, and neither mortgage nor potential car loan would be near max or that big, but I’m wary of the effect one might have on the other if I’m making different applications around the same time.

Car damage is all bodywork, no issues with anything else (and it’s had a couple of lengthy journeys since) so it would probably be OK for a short time.

Am I right to be concerned and tread carefully here, or am I worrying about nothing? Haven’t bought either a car or a house for ages!

solamanda
    Free Member

I found getting a personal loan for a car after completing was fine but I’m not sure it’s a good idea to apply another loan before then.

Once completed you’re a low risk with an asset.

Aidy
    Free Member

If it’s just bodywork, I think I’d just live with it. Certainly until the mortgage was done.

thegreatape
    Free Member

+3 for waiting. No idea if it would make a difference but in my head there’d be a chance it would, so I’d live with the car for a bit and not risk the house sale.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’d wait until you’ve exchanged, that way on the off chance it falls through at the last minute you shouldn’t have any issues getting another mortgage sorted on a different place.

2tyred

This is what I’m beginning to think, cheers!

Damage to car is the lower front bumper area, bit of a mess but no issues with the radiator or anything. Number plate held in place with bungee cords and some cracked bits of plastic here and there, just looks a bit of a state.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s insured and you have an estimate for the repair which shows there’s no structural damage or anything which would make it illegal to drive? Crack on with driving it, and negotiate with the insurance company for a payout without them writing it off (I’m not an expert, but I’ve seen reports of people doing something similar) and get it repaired on the cheap.

If it helps I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to delay the insurance process, they don’t usually need much encouragement. I’m not quite sure from your post what stage you’re at – have you put in a claim and awaiting an assessor?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Was advised by mortgage advisor when applying for re-mortgage at start of the year to hold off on any major purchase until application was through.
    Needed car for new job, but just hired one for a month until approval process complete and then bought a car.

2tyred

I’m not quite sure from your post what stage you’re at

Haven’t contacted insurer yet, pondering what to do. Repair estimate came from a local bodywork place this morning.

spooky_b329

Lower front bumper area? Unless it’s crushed some non-replaceable impact absorbing structure, can’t you just get the same colour parts from a breaker/eBay rather than brand new with new paint?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Loans, mortgages, car crashes and abysmal timing’ is closed to new replies.