Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Loam Houses
  • iolo
    Free Member

I have seen a very sweet old house in Austria that both myself and mrs iolo are keen to buy. It’s location is great for both skiing, mountain biking and wind surfing. So, a weekend house that I might do holiday lets on.
    My only concern is that it’s made of loam. The walls all seem fine apart from a bit of render coming off here and there.
    Can anyone tell me about loam houses? I have never seen one before so would like a bit of information.
    It’s currently being heated by a really big kacheloffen (fancy woodburner) and has electric heaters just to take the chill away while the woodburning stove heats up.
    I would love to put gas into the house for hot water and heating. is this ok with this type of construction?
    How easy is it to repair a wall? Should a crack appear, is it easy to deal with? If I wanti to extend, is loam house construction relatively easy?
    Would I need to insulate the walls? they are 450mm thick on the externals.
    Excuse my ignorance but i would rather know now before there was a problem.

fionap

Is it blocks or rammed earth-type construction? Either way I would assume it’s similar principles to a cob house here – tons of stuff online if you google that.

The main thing is to make sure it can breathe – if the render is cement-based, that might be why it’s coming off as moisture has been trapped behind. Use lime-based products e.g. render/mortar/paint etc both inside and out, keep the top and bottom of the wall dry and it should be fine.
    If you wanted to add insulation then it would need to be breathable too, so no PU or PS based boards – sheeps wool etc would be better. With 450mm thick walls though there’s probably no need – try and draught-proof instead around windows etc and insulate in the roof. I’ve seen plenty of cob/earth houses with gas central heating – it’s not a problem. The thermal mass of the walls (and often, floor) is really useful.

Like any wall, if a structural crack appears then you need to look at why it’s moving but if it’s just cosmetic then don’t worry – you can just use a bit more loam to fill the gap, like polyfilla. If you wanted to extend you wouldn’t necessarily have to use the same construction method but if you do, it’s likely to be very slow and labour intensive. Would depend on the local availability of materials and skills.

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks for that.
    Here’s where the render is coming off. I couldn’t get closer as the neighbours gate was locked and this elevation sits on their side.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Looks like blocks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Loam Houses’ is closed to new replies.