Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Loadsa road riders,but come Winter…
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Will there be so many out there. Notice I used the term road riders not roadies.
    I don't think so judging by the guys and gals I talk to. A quick nod to getting in Winter miles through ice, snow, rain, fog etc etc soon puts a dampner on their lovely midsummer ride.
    I didn't mean to miserable, I was actually trying to point out the benefits of riding all winter. I don't think the image of plowing through dirty slush for months on end was foremost in their minds at Mr Cervelos shop.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mmmm smell the damp. Bring it on if you ask me, can't be doing with this middling weather.

Haze

Cold, crisp, clear mornings…looking forward to dodging the icy patches!

I'll save the rainy days for the mountain bike 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I usually rode about 3 – 4 times per week after work last winter.

Its not too bad riding in the real cold weather (freezing) cos theres usually not to much of a head wind so you can really bash on

samuri
    Free Member

Very quiet at the velodrome at the moment, most people just ride on the road through summer. Come October, November, it'll start filling up again and Tuesday and Thursday evenings will be full to the extent where you have to book two weeks in advance to get a place.

tails
    Free Member

hmmmm give me summer every time over winter.

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder how many mountain bike riders will be out when it's cold wet and muddy?

RealMan
    Free Member

You can usually stay a bit warmer mtbing, and you don't have to worry so much about the daylight. Car drivers aren't very friendly in winter.

And don't a lot of road riders switch over to cross during the winter..?

oldgit
    Free Member

Won't argue with that tails.
    I'm already getting the 'I'm not coming out this weekend if its pouring down' – but it's going to be like this for the next six months.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ahh the Turbos, towel around the neck – Pink Floyd on the CD – 16" fan in the corner – big clock on the wall with a seconds hand – isn't it.

MrOvershoot

Is that Graham Jones in the winter picture?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Went to a ride in Swinley couple of years ago, apparently it was minus seven. Good fun though, and the ride flowed nicely because we all needed to keep moving. Twas proper bastard cold though.

Can't be doing with this pissing rain though. Watered the plants last night, 'cos it's been dry the last few days. What does it do today? Piss it down. Listen to it; it's flippin biblical out there!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Winter is Ok until the roads get icy-stay off road then on nice firm trails
    Don't mind the winter as it is a good opportunity to train hard and gain a bit on the competition. Quiet roads at night are fine with some good lights as well. Then there is the cross to fill the gaps in.Midlands races kick off proper on the 19th although mid week flood light races already started

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I rode on the road all through last winter but having fallen off 4 times in one ride – black ice – I am now more wary and will use the turbo and mtb more this winter.

gordimhor

aracer 1 mtber out all last winter. Getting the lights ready I prefer really freezing cold to the cold/rainy but will be out 2/3 times a week anyway

theboatman
    Free Member

I got in about half hour ago from a proper windy soaking on the 12 miles back from work, it was the first time I've really thought 'hey ho, here comes the first of many….' since the summer. I haven't owned a car for over 15 years, so do it rain, shine, wind or snow regardless (although last year I took to running in when the snow set in), and I usually add some to my rides home. I really don't look forward to the winter, but most of the time it's not that bad, and nice freezing clear weather is a pleasure. But if folk don't fancy biking in the foul weather then fair play to them, why do something that you don't enjoy, it doesn't make them any less of a 'biker' in my book.

antigee

out riding road in peak on sunday thought the same
    think commuting is different sort of commitment
    have been bemused in past aeeing peeps in obvious non-lidl/aldi gear sheltering under trees from rain on warm days spinning around ladybower
    personally will pass up a day riding road when windy and am busy because though i know "the head wind is my friend" i will get bored at the effort to get nowhere fun
    had a bad black ice fall couple of years ago so am a bit more careful but love those crisp days

takes all sorts and i'll stick with "no such thing as bad weather – just different sorts of weather" and as to people not getting out they might be busy doing other stuff

Kevevs
    Free Member

This may be incredibly hard to comprehend…

people prefer to ride bikes when the weather is nice. Do the math 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

i love riding in winter.

something strangely theraputic about getting in after 50-80 freezing cold or wet miles on a sunday morning – certainly gives you licence to do **** all for th rest of the day !

MTB if you choose the right place can be fun too – bogtrotting in winter is not fun – bawd bog in sub zero up to your knees in bog water – about as fun as chopping your testicles off , frying them and eating them !

samuri
    Free Member

mmmmm, testicles.

mogrim

MTB is much better in winter, firm trails vs. slimey roads, no competition.

jonb
    Free Member

I normally switch to off road when it get's to winter. Safer and more enjoyable IMO. Icy roads are scary, especially with other drivers.

I got in a good number of road rides last winter but only when it was dry and crisp. Other than that it was off road. Mind you it was pretty bad up in the north east so even the local road club was running the club run for mtb and cross bikes only.

rkk01
    Free Member

Dont fancy the road bike much for winter.

This year is the first year it's been out of the shed since 95-96, and even summer / autumn wet and slippy roads has me reaching for the mtb…

ourmaninthenorth

A few of us are already talking about our winter training plans. I sometimes wonder if a lot of riders don't actually prefer winter training over summer racing….

foxyrider
    Free Member

I shall be there with winter gloves, over shoes and tights commuting to work when no one else is 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I don't mind it when I'm actually out riding in the cold/dark but it takes a fair bit more motivation to actually drag myself out in the first place. I stay in if there's ice about though.

clubber
    Free Member

I like winter riding on the road – so long as it's not black icy and it's not p!ssing down, it's brilliant. If it's p!ssing down, I prefer to get out on the cross bike or mtb – not really sure why, just prefer it.

organic355
    Free Member

I shall be there with winter gloves, over shoes and tights commuting to work when no one else is

Me too, just got my first soaking this morning on my (road bike) commute, did still have the shorts on though, it'll be waterproofs on the way home and dig out the tights for tomorrows commute!!

DezB
    Free Member

I'll still be commuting on the road bike in winter. Overtrousers rather than tights for me though 🙂
    I like it cos there's more traffic to laugh at.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Its the pretend roadies you see now, the winter sorts the men from the boys 😉

I shall for one be out there 🙂

Why would I ride my MTB a lot more than a winter road bike? Its cheaper for one to ride the road bike. I.e saves on wear and tear on the drivetrain etc.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I only used the road bike last winter. Was a bit scary with all the snow/ice around and sooo cold too. The cold made it seem like much harder work than normal, some days my legs felt like they never warmed up (despite 3/4s underneath full length winter windproof/fleece tights)

I'll be just using the road bike again this winter, less faff than the mtb and easier to clean too.

I'm with trail_rat on the theraputic side of things. Love that feeling when you've been out in awful weather and you get warm and dry and then sit on the sofa all day 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

or for those of us with kids, try and play with them for the rest of the day while you're knackered… 🙂

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Just fit mudguards and get on with riding, thats what I do. Have done for years.

DezB
    Free Member

pretend roadies Certainly ain't one of those.

or for those of us with kids… or kids and a dog. Ride home, play with kid, walk dog…

cynic-al
    Free Member

*basks in glow of MartinGT's manliness*

OmarLittle
    Free Member

It is not so much the weather i mind its the grit/salt on the roads as i dont have space for a winter bike and having to clean the bikes thoroughly after ever use can get annoying.

cheers_drive

I ride more on road than off in the winter. 1 or 2 evening rides a week and maybe a longish weekend one if I can't be bothered to travel to an all weather offroad trail. If it's icy then I'll go offroad but generally in the local trails are are too gloopy in the winter to be any fun and I'd rather be riding than cleaning the bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i bought a rohloff just there and looking to buy a pugsley – so might be doing more off roading this winter 😀

how often is it "icy" that you cant ride down south ? i live in Aberdeen and commuted EVERY single day through that wild snow on my cross bike – on the road as the cycle paths were not gritted or cleared !

must admit i saw no others doing it 😀

mogrim

how often is it "icy" that you cant ride down south?

How far south do you want to go? Gets very chilly in central Spain 🙂

Nice dry trails here in winter, with little gloop, which certainly helps when it comes to deciding road or trail!

tonyd

Cold and crisp Sunday mornings I'll be out on the road bike.
    Cold and crisp weekday evenings I'll be on the MTB once or twice a week.
    Most days I'll be commuting on rigid MTB, managed a few days through the snow last year when cars were going nowhere.
    I don't mind riding in bad weather but if it's too wet and windy I'll be in the garage on a spinning bike, it may not be that manly but I don't see the point in freezing my arse off these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Loadsa road riders,but come Winter…’ is closed to new replies.