Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Loading the dishwasher
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Is it just my family that simply don’t get it?

Large items eclipsing smaller ones, tall items strategically placed to come into direct contact with moving parts, huge pans shoved in there taking up half the load because a 2 minute wash in the sink is just too much effort?!

I just love emptying the thing to find that for the 3rd time this week most of the load didn’t wash.

Whatever you do though, don’t suggest they’re doing it wrong. That simply can’t be true, and what do I know about dishwashers?!

scotroutes

25 years we’ve had a dishwasher and Mrs Scotroutes still can’t load it….

z1ppy

My better (@ most stuff) half now declines to fill it, as I will always rearrange it.. it’s actually simpler in the long run

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a right old PITA.

It’s a simple task that quite a lot of people just do not get the principal. Load/wash/empty/load/wash/empty/load…

And Obvz clean it out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No one touches dolly in my house apart from me. They are all inept and I haven’t got the time to pass on loading skills.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One, no THE, pet hate of mine is this…

The Dishwasher is under one of my kitchen units, you can see it for miles around because it’s a bloody big white thing, bit like the washing machine without the glass door.. but certain people will insist on cluttering up the kitchen side with plates and cups and such so there’s no bloody room and I have to come along and clear it all away..

In
    The
    Sodding
    Dishwasher

bruneep

wife and kids think that placing dishes in the “dishwasher zone” an area that is 1.5m either side of dishwasher constitutes having put dishes in the dishwasher.

chaos

I quite enjoy re-arranging it to get twice as much in and, in the process, do as above in ensuring they’ll actually wash.

Oddly satisfying or is that just me.

Edit: just realised that probaby comes across as ‘smug satisfaction’ but hopefully not 🙂

nickewen
    Free Member

Haha! I can relate to most of that lot ^^^. The “getting in contact with moving parts” one is my pet hate though. You can hear it through the cycle, CLUNK CLUNK CLINK CLUNK!!! We’ve had full blown barnies in our house about dishwasher loading.. my better half can fill it with 4 items.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is it a female issue?

My Mrs CANNOT load a dishwasher. GLASSES ON THE BOTTOM SHELF WHEN THE TOP SHELF IS COMPLETELY EMPTY!!!! 😈

My top tip is to buy some cheap oxi powder from Lidl and use that instead of tablets, cleans much better.

slowoldman

Can I be the first to smugly announce that we wash by hand?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Can I be the first to smugly announce that we wash by hand?

Why are you smug?

You do know hand washing wastes more water and doesn’t clean as well?

nickewen
    Free Member

It’s also a king size pain in the arse.. Ours broke recently and within 24 hours conversations along the lines of “what should we eat tonight to minimise dishes” were happening. Luckily it magically started working again before I had to part with cash for an engineer to look at it

mrhoppy

MiL helpfully loads ours when she’s round but this appears to just be throwing things at it hopefully. We have a cutlery section with individual holders, it keeps the items separate and avoids getting bits stuck on it, instead everything gets dumped in a single hole which means I then have to redo it but by grabbing the dirty end now. Aaargh.

Cougar

You have no idea how lucky you have it.

We have one at work. It’s filled one bowl / plate at a time by multiple individuals (the ones who don’t just abandon their crap in the sink anyway).

Plates laid flat on the top drawer so that it’s is full with just four items; bowls not rinsed first so they’re dribbling porridge, chicken curry and christ knows what else all over everything; glasses on the bottom shelf, speared onto one of the tines for holding plates; bowls in all different directions so you can get about three in a row and the rack is full; cutlery loaded handles-upward; dirty plates put in after a wash cycle without emptying it first; I could go on.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

gobuchul
    Free Member

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

mikejd

+1 for bruneep. My wife insists on placing all her dishes and cutlery in the sink and filling with water, so not only do I have to put them in the dishwasher but I have to fish around in dirty water to find them. Any comment leads to a tirade of abuse about ‘being an a***hole’ and ‘get a life’.

chiefgrooveguru

Threads like these make me realise how excellent my wife is.

ajantom

My wife insists on placing all her dishes and cutlery in the sink and filling with water, so not only do I have to put them in the dishwasher but I have to fish around in dirty water to find them.

Yes, mine does the same. Though she admits the error of her ways, but just can’t seem to help herself!

My MiL tries to help out by putting stuff in ours when she’s round. Haphazard isn’t the word. It’s weird too, as I’ve seen her loading her one at home, and she does it fine.
    I think it’s all a plan to send me mad, have me committed and split the proceeds of the house sale.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife has heard of the concept of letting things soak before washing, but doesn’t really get how it’s meant to work. What she does is take any container that has a reasonable amount of mouldy food in it, fill it with water and leave it in the sink. That’s not soaking dried on food, that’s creating ideal conditions for bacterial growth. Sometimes they sit for days before I get home from work. And they are IN the sink so nothing else can be done in there. She will even dump the kids lunch boxes in the sink with crusts, apple cores and sundry food packets. Just WTF do you think is going to happen to it besides getting extremely disgusting?

nuke

Once i get my family passed the basics of cutlery direction in the cutlery basket, I’ll consider moving them on to more advanced topics like bowls & plates

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There are a few advantages of living on one’s tod: this is clearly one. My skills have been noted as I’ve been nominated Dishwasher Technician on holiday with friends.

br
    Free Member

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? [/I]

Just imagine how sh**y their houses are…

Does my head in also, I can’t understand how my perfectly intelligent OH has an inability to fill one either. I just rearrange it, and then we can have another meal before it needs to go on.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 chiefgrooveguru – it’s actually a job that my wife has taken charge of and does very well, which seems only fair as I do the cooking and the rest of the washing up.

ajantom

I suspect there is a direct correlation between those who enjoy (and are good at) bike maintenance, and being able to fill a dishwasher correctly. The devil’s in the detail in both.

MoreCashThanDash

Any comment leads to a tirade of abuse about ‘being an a***hole’ and ‘get a life’.

I’d like to think that any discussion that led to that kind of abuse would be the last time we spoke other than through the medium of solicitors.

Murray

Spoons and forks down? WTF? That’s all I’ve got say 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Fills it from the front.

So after it’s 1/2 full. We can’t get anything else in.

Without having to reload the damn thing.

brakes
    Free Member

the fact that so many people get it wrong is testament to what a bad design the dishwasher is. in this day and age you should be able to just throw it in and turn it on.

sparkov
    Free Member

You’ve all been played:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dishwasher

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Loading the dishwasher’ is closed to new replies.