Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Loading limit for bike racks on a small car?
  • Kahurangi

Is there a place/site/reference to see what the limit is to loading a boot mounted bike rack for a small car, like my Yaris?

I've had a look through the manual and can't find anything to suggest a loading limit for a bike rack on a Yaris.

Anyone know anything?

Cheers

\insert joke about a Toyota not being able to stop

Kahurangi

\bump – anyone have an idea how much you can load up a small car?

spooky_b329

Technically, it will be the noseweight limit, which almost certainly will be the manual. But in reality, I'd say you can go a bit higher as 75kg of bikes bouncing up and down on the back will still be less than the same noseweight of a 1000kg caravan bouncing up and down. Can't see anyone trying to weigh everything unless you are blatantly taking the P with four DH bikes crammed on.

What is more important is rear axle loading, easy to go OTT once you have a bit of camping gear. Add the bikes and its all to easy to be bouncing off the bump stops…

Edit: If the car was made after 1998, it has to have a type approved towbar which will display a plate, on this will be an 'S' value, which is the max noseweight for the car. Its a guide rather than written in stone as the towbar will be usually be suitable for all versions of your car, often the larger engine models can tow higher weights and therefore could have a higher noseweight.

sweepy
    Free Member

if its a boot mounted rack I think it would be down to the rack manufacturers

spooky_b329

Oops, sorry, ignore all my guff, thought you wanted a towbar rack 🙄

As sweepy said, as per boot rack instructions, otherwise, its just the gross weight of the car and axle loads that matter.

Kahurangi

Cheers, there were axle load limits in there. I didn't spot anything about tow bar nose weight limits, but they'd be similar to a bike rack as you're loading similarly rear of the rear axle.

Doesn't look like 3 bikes will push it over capacity, it's just not going to be fun driving a 1 ltr car to whinlatter with 3 bikes!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Loading limit for bike racks on a small car?’ is closed to new replies.