• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • LMTTM's Annual Car Tyre Thread – Come on in ….. With a twist ….
  • letmetalktomark

It’s that time of the year again where our 2.2 Civic needs new tyres.

The twist ….. This year it’s rears …..

We’ve done 80k on the rears and they weren’t new when we got the car and whilst there is tread left the sidewalls look to be cracking.

Fronts we run Pilot Sport 3s and I think the rears are Primacy something or other.

The we get maybe 16k out of the fronts and despite years of using them we need something more sustainable.

Plan to use the same tyre all around, replacing the rears first.

So ….. 20k a year mileage. The car gets a good mix of road use and it’s fun* to use the loud** pedal.

So recommendations.

Looking on Black Circles it’s difficult to find a bad review!

* it’s a diesel so the fun is capped a little.

** it’s not that loud and it’s more agricultural than anything else

squirrelking
    Free Member

As an all rounder I went with all season Nokian W4’s. They’re wet winter tyres but is far excellent in hot dry as well. Best tyre I’ve had yet though usually go mid range to be fair

That’s on 2.0 diesel Mondeo

stumpy01

We tried some Falken ZE914s this time because they were a decent price and seemed to get good write ups.

Can’t comment on life yet as they have only been on for about 6k miles, but they aren’t disappearing at a stupid rate which is a good sign…
    Grip levels are very good in wet and dry, so I suspect they might be quite soft.
    Noise and fuel economy seems no different to other tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammyuk
    Free Member

Falkens are loved over on the BMW forums.
    Goodyear Efficient grip are really good, very quiet and gave huge mileage on the Caddy.
    Cheaper than Black Circles too at Formula One 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Presumably, you’ll be putting the two new tyres on the front and the part worn fronts on the back?

Options, choices, value for money…. Just to twist it up 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got the Goodyear Efficient Grips. They are quiet and smooth and seem to be lasting well BUT i’ve had 3 punctures in 6 months (had 1 in 10+ years before this but could just be coincidence) and the sidewalls seem quite thin and flexy so they don’t really corner very well.

Wouldn’t buy them again.

They are 195/60 R15 in size though. Maybe lower profile 45/50s are better.

njee20
    Free Member

Presumably, you’ll be putting the two new tyres on the front and the part worn fronts on the back

I thought general recommendation for average folk was to go with new ones on the back, on the basis most folk can deal with understeer far more handily than oversteer.

Obviously that’s irrelevant for the driving gods on here though.

spooky_b329

Njee speaks sense. There is a reason family hatches are set-up to understeer when pushed, and only sport cars tend to be tail happy.

hammyuk
    Free Member

YouTube VBH showing just why the new ones go on the REAR….

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

Clearly I’m a driving God 😉 but will be bucking the trend and having the new ones on the back.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Next time you’ll employ a proper tire rotation I assume so that they wear evenly.

Good results with Uniroyal rain expert 2s and Maxxis ap2s as an all season

letmetalktomark

Does it make much difference/should/can it be done going from a load rating of 91 to 94?

There seems a greater choice.

I think 91s would have originally been specced.

spooky_b329

If you punch your reg into most of the tyre sites, it will give you the load and speed ratings.

Rich_s

My Golf usually runs on P7’s. Tried Goodyear EGs on it once and it was awful at cornering. Have recently put some dunlops which seem quite good.

Put some EGs on our people carrier (low pro) and they are pretty impressive.

What does this tell you? Go on blackcircles and buy whichever one is cheapest for the ratings on the sticker 😉

momo

I was very impressed with the Michelin Primacy that came on my old golf GTD, so much so that I replaced them with exactly the same when they were worn. Really nice balance of grip with very predictable limits. Excellent wear and very quiet.
    I would run them on my Mondoe too if they made them in the 18″ size I need.

Milkie
    Free Member

Uniroyal Rainsport 3’s here. Great grip levels in the dry and the wet, soft’ish sidewalls, so great on the road if you have no suspension. I could not tell you about noise level or how long they last as they are used on the track.

jwt
    Free Member

Got 30k out of some Toyo Proxes on a Mazda Two?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘LMTTM's Annual Car Tyre Thread – Come on in ….. With a twist ….’ is closed to new replies.