Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Llyn peninsula
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Any mountain biking to be had?
    Staying in criccieth

el_boufador

I was there aaaaaaaggggges ago. Probably 20 years. Was they year when there was the cornish eclipse of the sun (just looked, 1999 – 17 yrs) . Took the bike and explored, remember being glad that I did, general XC stuff and nice lanes is what I remember.

CheesybeanZ

We’ve stayed in Borth y Guest a few times , 30 mins up the road is Coed y Brenin , 50 mins theres Penmachno and Marin plus Antur Stiniog . We ride local but the beach at Borth is beautiful.

mountainman

Preseli hills ,was an article while back too in mag with routes.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Preseli hills

Probably a bit far from Criccieth 😉

surfer
    Free Member

Its little help I know but as a runner the coastal path is fantastic. No good for MTB’ing. We have use of my BIL caravan and love going there (Abersoch) its a bit “Cheshire set” but still nice. So much so that we are buying a tourer next year and have a pitch lined up on a site a few mins walk from the beach/town. Ace 🙂

onewheelgood

We go to Abersoch a lot, but if I’m only taking only one bike it’s the road bike. The really isn’t much MTB opportunity on the Llyn. It’s not that far to CYB, Penmachno and the Marin though, so I do sometimes take a mountain bike, but I have to drive somewhere to ride it.

backinireland
    Free Member

Thanks
    Any other things we need to see or do?
    Kids aged 2 5 8
    Bit of surfing and fishing possibly

kirky72
    Free Member

We went last year and stayed in a great barn conversation on the fishing lodges. Took my enduro and there wasn’t much riding to be had locally so did Cyb and booked a day at antur stiniog.

Kids wise I have a 5 and 8 year olds, they lived gypsy woods near carnavaon, great day out, lots of animals and quirky little things to keep them entertained. Nice park, railway.

There’s not a whole lot going on Criccieth, but nice little place if it’s sunny.

munkster
    Free Member

Any other things we need to see or do?

Went there last year. V.nice/quiet beaches on the north coast (Porth Colmon, Whistling Sands) if good weather. We took our road bikes and had some great rides out. We ended up gravitating back to Aberdaron most for food, right on the end though so quite a jaunt from Criccieth. There’s also Bardsey Island off the end near Aberdaron and you can drive/ride up to the top of the headland for a good view of the island.

A lovely place but not *loads* to do if the weather isn’t great. The obligatory NT property (Plas yn Rhiw) is very pleasant. There was an arts place/ gallery too not far from there too but can’t remember.

We enjoyed it! HTH

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

From Criccieth you can easily get to:
    Port Meirion.
    Harlech Castle
    Welsh Highland railway.
    Slate mines at Ffestiniog or Llechwedd.
    Shell Island and Llanbedr.

A little further away:
    Caernarfon.
    Llandudno.
    Betws.
    Red Wharf Bay (birth place of the Landrover)
    Aber Glaslyn
    Beddgelert
    Aberdaron
    Etc, etc.

backinireland
    Free Member

Thanks

muddyground
    Free Member

Mate, tons to do. Criccieth beachcombing, ice cream a Cadwaladers, castle…. You could spend your time driving all over the place, yet I’d just take a chill pill and let the kids dictate what you do. Mine just loved finding crap on the beach and stuffing their faces with said ice cream. Oh and crabbing down the road at Mad Dog.

eddie11
    Free Member

You can take the car onto Morfa bychan beach and just chill there all day. Big rock cafe on Porthmadog is good too in a if-Howies-did-food way.

For mtb There’s the obvious drive up to Snowden for an evening or cyb but not a lot of mountainbiking on the peninsula. You can string together some legal and some cheek that’s ok but If you can’t travel with the bike I’d say road.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’m looking to do a beach bivvy/mtb ride this summer, I was thinking of the Gower but the Lleyn Peninsular looks as if it could also be good place.
    If anyone has an idea for a route it would be appreciated.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OP, you should book a meal at Dylans in Criccieth. Not too expensive, good food, great for kids and right on the ‘beach’. Defo needs booking though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Llyn peninsula’ is closed to new replies.