Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Llangollen Riding Recommendations
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Has anybody got any recommendations for some good natural mtbing around Llangollen?

Found a route called the Beast of Llangollen? Anybody done this?

Muchas Gracias

bland

Just emailed you a GPX to work from, best of both worlds, road climb, lap of Llandegla, best singletrack ever and the cliffs decsent.

26.3mi Distance
    3:26:56 Moving Time
    3,555ft Elevation

Enjoy!

mattbee

The descent down under the cliffs back towards Trevor rocks is awesome. Was pretty hairy back in the mid 90s when I was at uni in Wrexham, rigid forks, cantis and 22″ handlebars. Also used to love the Offas Duke trail over the big to Llandegla, on the railway sleepers. The descent from the radio mast to the Ponderosa cafe was good fun too.

jeffm
    Free Member

Quality, quality singletrack from the masts down to worlds end and then the offa’s dyke path (trevor rocks) is one of my favs anywhere in the world…… Big statement I know.
    Down the eastern side of Ruabon Mountain is good too (from the world’s end side to “mountain lodge”), climb back up from “newtown mountain” to the cairns above trevor rocks to then link up to the excellent singletrack there.

triassicbunter
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Berwyn Hills loop. I parked at the free car par in Llandrillo, which is around 25 minutes drive from Llangollen. You’ll find variations on this route from various sources. The Edge Cycleworks website has one, which is where I think you found the other route.

This is an epic feeling route. I never met any walkers or mountain bikers while I was in the hills, even though it was a nice sunny-ish day. Not a route I’d want to do in the wet.

bigmick25
    Free Member

Did the ‘Beast of llangollen’ route 4 weeks ago and it is a BEAST.
    Big climbs followed by epic descents some pretty technical in my book, but all said and done a great ride.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

There are downhill tracks here http://onegiantleapllangollen.co.uk think that there are “green lanes” used by 4×4’s nearby you could explore

nickdavies

Bland any chance of a sneaky hijack for your GPX? Think I know the route you mean done a similar thing before but would like to see! Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

One Giant Leap DH tracks are on private land and you have to be on an uplift day or a paid up member to ride them.
    The panorama footpath under Dindren crags is an SSSI.

muddyground
    Free Member

There’s a fun trail that runs over the hills from the Ponderosa. Some remarkably steep and rocky bits.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Unless you go to Llandegla, you will be doing a lot of climbing to reap the rewards, but the rewards are worth it!

Start at the Sun Trevor and make your way up the Panorama (as high as you can go). Head over to World’s End along Offas Dyke and enter Llandegla via the sleepers climb.

Go through the style/gate and *immediately turn left and bike up until the next style. Hop over this and ride upto the masts – to the second tower. You will see a small slither of singletrack to the rear of the mast building.

Follow this down to the stream, and cross back up the other side. Then ride the next bit until the stream and ride back upto the road. Then just retrace your route back to the Sun Trevor.

If you feel you have plenty in reserve then at the point where I’ve inserted a * above don’t go left, go straight and do a lap of Llandegla. You will be 2/3 of the way up the 3 mile climb at that point so you can do the blue, red or black.

All of that would be a solid 25-35 miles or so I should imagine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Llangollen Riding Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.