Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Llandegla – tell me about it
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m off to Llandegla tomorrow and never been before, so what should i expect?
    My knowledge of UK trail centres is limited to Whinlatter and Lee/Cragg quarries!

shortcut

It is a trail centre, south of Chester.

Trails are good fun, likely to be puddly. The skills section is good fun and more intimidating than the rest of the trails. Don’t be put off by the black.

All good really – enjoy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Lock your bike up….or keep it inside the car.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Good point about the lock, I’m always horrified at Whinlatter to see so many expensive bikes just propped against the railings whilst their owners are in the cafe – so easy to lose them.
    how do the trails compare to Whinlatter for example?

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Get there before 10am, ideally 9.30 as it gets very busy. If you get there early enough its a lot of fun. Get there too late and you might find you don’t get a clean run on the descents because of the mixed ability traffic. Thats my experience at least.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m more likely to be the blockage than the blocked I’m afraid, middle aged bimbler on a bike too good for his skill set!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Gets lots of negative comments on here due to very man made smooth trails , but at speed it’s fun !!! As above don’t compare black to antur stiniog / Scottish trail centres but defo session the jumps and drops area to the left of the first climb. But when the weathers bad its my fav local centre due to great trail drainage and maintenance.
    May see you there tomorrow !!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Look out for a shortarse on a bright orange Marin Wolf Ridge then 🙂

smartay

Small village in North East Wales in the county of Denbighshire, farming originally based community now made up of commuters, oh and theres a trail center need by 😀

bokonon
    Free Member

I found it was a bit of a wind up to the top, drop down to the bottom trail – not in a bad way per se, just that fire road climbs for quite a way at the start aren’t really that inspiring – once that’s done with, it’s a great fun trail, I went round twice on my first go, and that was supposed to be a quick blast out, if I were there for a day I’d be looking at 2/3 loops.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Its good fun as long as you know what to expect. Don’t expect rocky, technical trails and tricky black runs like C-Y-B. Do expect fast, flowing trails with the occasional jump thrown in.

I like it, the black sections aren’t worthy of their colour, but the trail is fun at speed, and the skills areas are good fun – even if the twelve year olds can show me up in the freeride area!

RustySpanner

how do the trails compare to Whinlatter for example?

As said above, it has more of a man-made, polished feel to it in places.
    But it’s not all like that, there’s a really good new section half way round that’s like smaller, easier version of the open horseshoe bit at Penmachno.

Don’t go too fast – it’s one of those trails that tempts you to push hard because it flows pretty well.

Lots of interesting bits and worth doing twice to get the most out of it.

Oh, take a rucksac & fill it with some of the dozens of lost water bottles you’ll find on the last rollercoaster descent/uphill.
    You’ll never need to buy another.

The cafe’s fine, but not as brilliant as everyone says.

It’s a great little place overall, something different to flogging across the moors and Calderdale cheek.

Bet you a fiver you like it. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

if I were there for a day I’d be looking at 2/3 loops.

Or if your Daisy_Duke 9 consecutive laps of the Black, swoon!!!

weeksy

Been twice, cafe was GREAT

bramblerash
    Free Member

What tyre pressures are you going to run 😆

root
    Free Member

Do the freeride bit first near the carpark then the black. Good laugh

tazzymtb

Mr Dwarf if you are there early keep an eye out for a load of attention whoring SS riders on ego chariots…say hi and you can have a nip of something cheeky from a hip flask

pop-larkin
    Free Member

……and wake up days later with a sore rear end!!!!!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Pump track is worth a shot also

tazzymtb

……and wake up days later with a sore rear end!!!!!

riding rigid then Pop?

Rorschach
    Free Member

What time you there Mr the Taz? Might roll out of bed and ride up the hill….we can form the Duxford wing 😀

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ll be there tomorrow. I’ll be in some horrendously bright yellow Oakley kit.

tazzymtb

rorschach will be there 9ish, look for jones,peggy,sheepy and a tattooed thing getting grumpy in the car park at all the geared filth 😆

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s smooth’ish, jumpy, bermy and can be very windy.

Go as fast as you dare on all the bits, just watch out for the trees on the inside of corners. It gets better the faster you hit things, pretty much any tyre will do, all of it is thrashable on a 100mm HT or FS.

Ignore the haterz.

Don’t leave your bike anywhere unattended & don’t get peeved at people slower than you, just be polite it’s a trail centre after all, not your personal playground.

Oh yeah, I’ll be there tomorrow. Probably taking in all 3 loops & the masts.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Some tough climbs bur I Love the black sections at Llandegla, ride with your balls out and they are a real buzz. 😛

The food at the cafe is hit and miss, but recommend the Yeti burger if you decide to eat there.

Whatever you do, don’t let you bike out of site, there’s some thieving scum about.

Enjoy!

tazzymtb

hmmmm sounds too busy already, the clwyds may be calling 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some tough climbs

Not stopped weeing down here all day.Clwyds will be a shizzle fest.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Rorschach – srsly ur a msv ck

Rorschach
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Free Member

OP you do get wnkrs at Llandegla^ Just ignore.

tazzymtb

@patriotpro calm down dear, it’s singlespeeders that are meant to be the angry grumpy ones, not trail biffers 😀 xx

Coyote
    Free Member

First off, it’s a great trail centre, I love it. Out the car park you’ve got a good long steady climb. Then it’s a good chunk of fun. However be selective about the Black runs. The first couple are OK but have a penalty of dull climbing. Leave them and follow the red trail, it’s got loads going for it.

The original “Black” jumps are pretty poor in my opinion but if you ignore then and go a little further there is a really sweet board walk section followed by a nice rocky downhill.

Plenty climbing to finish followed by a chilled descent and off to the cafe. On a weekend it will be busy and you will wait but hey-ho, it’s generally worth it.

In summary, Llandegla has plenty haterz on here but I really enjoy my trips there. It’s what you make of it. If you go, up for a good time, then you’ll probably like it.

project
    Free Member

Tell your driver if coming up the narrow diversion from Wrecksam not to drive like a nutter as nutters also drive down hill the same way.

Same with the entrance road, there are laybys to pull into to lert oncoming vehicles pass, not to park up in, or to try and beat an oncoming vehicle to the next one.

Always pay the parking fee, and chain your bike up, wether in avehicle or outside the cafe,always wear lycra, real welsh men always do,and the sheep get scared.

Finally there are bridge strengthening works at the ruthin road turn off the bypass, ALWAYS TRAVEL DOWN THE OUTSIDE LANE , and merge/force your way in at last minute, just after B and Q on left.The locals always give you a loud blast of their horn and a cheery wave.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also like it there. It is fairly man made feeling in places but it rides well in all weathers and is designed to be ridden by all abilities. The bimblers can bimble along while the faster riders can hit it at speed. Like others have said it does get very busy at weekends but I have found the slower riders do get out of the way of the faster riders (especially if you have a loud rear hub like Hope 😉 ) which doesn’t happen at some other trail centres I have ridden ………Cannock springs to mind.

The newer sections have a nice flow and the jumps are designed to roll or …err…jump.

singlespeedstu

keep an eye out for a load of attention whoring SS riders

I hear one of them might even fix bikes for the over geared at said establisment.

I also hear he’s shit a jumping.
    Must be his lack of gears and suspension that holds him back…

trailhound
    Free Member

Llandegla is what you’d call my “local” trail centre – I can throw the bike in the van and be there in 15 min or ride from my door and incorporate it in to a big natural ride. In my opinion people are a bit too blasé about trail centres: Yes come the weekend they can be full of pretty much all your stw stereotypes, frm the middle aged, slightly overweight, Audi driving, full carbon riding gentleman to the full faced, armoured up,triple clamp owning free riding gnar shredders and everything in between. Llandegla, like most trail centres gets pretty choked up on a weekend but with good reason – for people living in the likes of Liverpool/ the Wirral/ Cheshire etc its prob the nearest of its type, allowing them to just turn up and head straight out onto trails that they know are going to give them a fun day out with all the facilities to make a day of it (cafe,shop,showers,bike wash etc)
    For some who may not be so lucky as to live close to good natural terrain, these trail centres provide a great service and although many people slate them for the sanitised trails and congested nature (especially at the weekend) I think we’re lucky to have them and my biggest hate is the people who park at the bottom of the road and are happy to make use of the extremely hard graft that has gone into building and maintaining the trails but don’t feel they should have to pay the £4 odd that provides these trails. Sorry 2 waffle on but just wanted to say my piece. (1 too many wainwrights might not have helped!)
    Anyway, OP – llandeglas got some fast fun trails but will be pretty wet and congested this wkend!
    Over and out!

bol

We’re enjoying the delights of Wrexham Travelodge tonight with a view to an early start in the morning. Say hello to the motley looking bunch on a huge orange Solaris, Soda and blue Orange R8. We had a lock in at Cannock on the way up which was a bit disconcerting. As was riding it in the dark and fog on our first visit. Looking forward to giving Llandegla a go – and with the added bonus of STW Big Hitters! 😀

tazzymtb

well that was a lovely chilled out relaxed bimble. I like deggy, tis just a fun little play ground 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

I preferred me warm bed…..and was scared in case that nasty man who called me names was there.

tazzymtb

now if I’d have know that I would have called round and had a snuggle. xx 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.