• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by colp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Llandegla or Delamere for bike trailer outing?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Have been to Llandegla but never really paid attention to whats on offer for ‘families’ and what would be a suitable route for towing two kids in a trailer.

I’ve never been to Delamere.

So which would be the best choice for a first family outing, with trailer? I’m drawn by the cafe at Llandegla if I’m honest but it may not be the best place to take a trailer?

Any other suggestions for traffic free, fairly easy cycling around the North West that I’ve missed.

anto164
    Free Member

Delamere if you’re taking the kids.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Agree, delamere and stick to the fireroads. I’ve had the children round degla’s old blue run in the the trailer. It was bumpier for them than I thought it was going to be (had ridden it solo a good number of times, but you just notice all the little bumps) and they weren’t too happy by the end. The new blue is smoother, but is narrower.

Wirral way is very good for a trailer outing, no cars, very smooth and flat. Ice-creams at Parkgate and cafe at the Thurstason. 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Mersey ferry, and traffic-free promenade to New Brighton (beach and Fort Perch Rock). Huge adventure for little people!

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m thinking the same thoughts for Monday. I’ll probably head to delamere and head ‘off piste’, though llandegla should be brilliant with a bike trailer, but I wouldn’t want to try it on a bank holiday weekend!!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is there a cafe or pub for some food near or at Delamere?

loddrik
    Free Member

A visitor centre and a cafe at the station IIRC.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Sounds a good suggestion also Esme….though I suggested a possible two bike trips this weekend…and it seems I might have been too optimistic….;-)

tthew

Station Cafe at Delamere is definitely preferable to the FC visitor center. The owner used to have a lot to do with the Delamere Bike Club, IIRC so that’s what the locals use. Visitor center did host a good MTB charity film evening last year though.

project
    Free Member

Find the road through centre of delamere forest, head slightly uphill to junction,away from the railway bridge and jump area, turn left, and pub is on the left next to the mere(lake)

Good meals and nice staff as well as big garden fenced off from the lake.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Delamere will be the easier of the two, Green Route at Llandegla is a nice ride around the lake, just a harder climb out but if you park in the top car park it will be slightly easier with the trailer.

project
    Free Member

mtbtomo, just seen the new halfords advert,for bikes on the tv, have a look at the kids trailer in the forest.

stick to Delamere.

iain1775
    Free Member

Just leap straight in and do the red bull rampage with them
    TJ and TSY said it will be okay so long as they are at least a month old, safer than being in a car!

colp

Hey tthew, you’ve got it mixed up, I run the visitor centre cafe and also started the old bike club.
    We built the nortshore and the DH course etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla or Delamere for bike trailer outing?’ is closed to new replies.