Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Llandegla – Fire Fighters Charity XC MTB Race 2017
  • gelert
    Free Member

Event: Sunday 1st October, 2017.

My 4th year. I believe it is George’s last as organiser. I hope someone will take over from George as it’s always a brilliant event.

Weather forecast isn’t sounding too great and the amount of rain we’ve had recently will make the wooded sections interesting. I had a look at bits of the old course a few weeks ago when the rain had just started and it was fine then but it’ll be quite a bit worse by now.

I stopped racing enduro since an accident last summer but I love this event. I was still recovering when I raced it last year. It took another 7-8 months after that to recover my confidence and I’ve since had the best summer of riding – it’s been so much fun. I’ve mostly ridden solo and done a lot of exploring for new trails around my local hills.

I will have raced Fireman XC on a 120, 140, 140 and this time on a 160 bike. All 26 inch. It just gets more fun 🙂

I’ll be in the Masters category again. Previous results: 8th, 4th, 6th.

Getting the 160 bike onto the last lap is the aim and having some fun on the downhill bits. Hopefully no mechanicals and no crashes.

I’ve no room for a bottle on my bike so as in previous years I’ll be riding with a few gels in my pocket and that’s about it. I’m out if anything goes wrong.

Who else is racing?
    I believe there are lots of other bike events on the same day.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m not there this year, 3rd Masters last year, as I’ve got a Grade 2 separation of my ACJ after last weekends 3 Peaks – so no riding for me for a good few weeks.

Enjoy.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    I’m not there this year, 3rd Masters last year, as I’ve got a Grade 2 separation of my ACJ after last weekends 3 Peaks – so no riding for me for a good few weeks.

Enjoy.

Jack told me he’d seen that you had nailed yourself. At least it’s at the end of the season!

I’ll be there, for my sins. Don’t expect to be very competitive this year though. Hopefully Jack can get another BikeWorks podium!

gelert
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that @steve_b77. That’s my worst fear. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back on the bike ASAP. How long have they given you for recovery?

Speshpaul

got a link to the event

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

LINKY

No entries on the day though.

velocipede
    Free Member

No online entries either?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Entry closed last weekend I think.

gelert
    Free Member

I think it’s always been the emergency services annual national champs race + local guests. Proper old school XC 26km race for a good cause.

It’s been advertised on Llandegla’s Facebook and in the shop and there’s been a poster on the car park kiosk for ages.

Awesome track / course every time I’ve done it. That’s why I do it and it’s a lot of fun on a 160 bike. It’s not like any Llandegla you normally get to ride on. Sketchy off-pieste rattle through the trees. It’s brutal and they stop you if you’re not on the leaders last lap. My race time is usually around the 1h40 mark – they did add a bit of track that made it harder + longer one year.

Anyone know if it’s the same course this time?

Free hot soup + roll at the end 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Adam@BikeWorks – Member
    Jack told me he’d seen that you had nailed yourself. At least it’s at the end of the season!

I’ll be there, for my sins. Don’t expect to be very competitive this year though. Hopefully Jack can get another BikeWorks podium!

End of the XC(O/M) season maybe, but my CX season is a bit of a write off.

Is he still in kiddies class?

Sorry to hear that @steve_b77. That’s my worst fear. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back on the bike ASAP. How long have they given you for recovery?

Not been to physio yet, that’s next week. Chatting with a few mates who’ve done the same I’d say up to 10 weeks out 🙁

gelert
    Free Member

How did we get on?

The weather played ball. No rain.

I found it tougher this year. I regret doing the practice lap this time. The mud zapped my energy and I had cramp on the last lap. Managed to keep going though… just. I was ever so close to bonking. I’d practiced the distance and speed two weeks ago but the race was just different. Pretty brutal.

I had fun though. I got some superb downhill overtakes in that I’m very proud of by taking a few alternate cornering lines and timing the move perfectly to not get taken out and more importantly not take anyone else out, then off to catch the next guy… all to be overtaken back again on the climb… sometimes. Some of them never got me back. Some did 🙂

All respect to the fast boys. It’s amazing to see them go. I’ve never ridden anything other than a big Enduro/All Mountain bike so I don’t know what it’s like on an XC bike but with the skill and fitness they have I guess they could do the same on any bike.

Riding solo has definitely made me slower this year but I was so happy to have all of my confidence back and not have any offs. A few dabs but that’s the fun way round with flat pedals.

XC isn’t my thing but I like keeping my fitness up, never shy away from a climb and enjoy doing long rides so it’s good to have a go.

I’m heading backwards in the results. 8th in Masters this time. See if I can do better next year 🙂

I hope it’s back next year.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

9th in Vets, 20th overall – pretty much the same as last year, which I’m quite pleased with, considering I felt rubbish and I generally have even less skillage than usual when its greasy mud like yesterday.

Jack upheld BikeWorks honour by taking the win in Sport and 5th overall!

I was in a battle with 3 or 4 other riders for most of the race which was pretty cool – although I was generally getting used as a windbreak on the long fireroad climb!

gelert
    Free Member

Well done. Awesome. Amazing consistency in your lap times. You do 33, 35, 36.

My lap times: 35, 38:34, 43:16. Or 0, +3, +5 minutes.

Looking back on my previous years I haven’t done any worse really except on the last lap letting 7th place pass and being unable to do anything so I guess I was a bit faster than I should have been on the 1st lap.

When I got 4th I was still the same time behind the boys in front so it really does depend who turns up.

Massive competition in the vets category. Sheesh.

Good race. Enjoyed it.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Pics are up!
    HERE

Only one of me – Jim must hate me! 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – Fire Fighters Charity XC MTB Race 2017’ is closed to new replies.