• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Llandegla – bike choice??
  • biscuit
    Free Member

Right here it is. Chose Llandegla (from posting on here)to be the destination for a weekender with a non biking mate who wants to give mtb a go (Who has no bike)

I own an sx trail, and a Dialled PA. Now the bike i would naturally choose, from looking at info and videos of the place is the PA. But that leaves my mate on the sx??

So if i rode the sx, would that be total overkill for the place? What are the climbs like? As its a pig on the ups.

Or, third option is to lend him a carrera kraken, which has the worst set of suntour forks known to mankind, well, in my opinion, but would see us both on hardtails. hmm

Hiring is out, as he's pretty skint. Im swaying towards lending the carrera. What do you think people? I've never been there before and would be keen to hear from those who have.

Cheers

nbt

You ride the carrera, let him ride the PA. an SX trail would be overkill, an ss would be more appropriate.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The SX ould be awful there. I'd lend him the carrera, if hes new he wont be pushing on too hard to maybe notice whether the forks are shit or good. Its also a very tame trail so he wont be under biked on that

The SX will be more bike than you need, but there's no reason you wouldn't still enjoy riding it. If he's a non-biker, then you're not going to be rushing up hills surely?

biscuit
    Free Member

hmmmm me ride the carrera, now there's a thought that didn't cross my mind……;) Nope

yeh, im not too worried about the ups, have dragged the sx round afan a fair few times, but its only a few places that it was more fun than when i've been on the hardtail. If Llandegla is tamer, then the sx really is going to be a beast.

Looks like its the carrera for him, if its shit, he can rent a bike the next day. Job done 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

A mate of mine rode his sx trail at Llandegla, what with it being his only non-DH bike and everything. And guess what the world didn't explode and he had a good time. Yes it's not the ideal bike but it will be fine. There are no particularly long/hard climbs there.

thomthumb
    Free Member

don't give your mate the shitter.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

*awaits the usual smart-arse to appear to claim a CX bike/Rigid 69er fixed wheel/Bamboo constructed adult trike with trailer/Penny Farthing/etc is the best option for Llandegla*

😉

nbt

boz, you;re about 6 posts too late, I recommended an SS in post 2

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Didnt see that nbt – you claim the prize….

biscuit
    Free Member

haha, cheers Grumm, nice patronising answer there, i am aware its not ideal hence the thread. The world won't explode?? really? phew 🙂

its not a shitter, its just got shit forks, its brand new, just been in the loft a while, my missus didn't get on with mtb.

Ahh bollocks, i'l take all three

grumm
    Free Member

I was really referring to this

The SX ould be awful there.

biscuit
    Free Member

ahh ok then, now i see.

So, going by boz/nbt's train of thought, perhaps id be better off lending him my other halfs rigid trek hybrid?

grumm
    Free Member

Just take mountain bikes, of whatever flavour you've got, and it will be fine and you'll have fun.

barca
    Free Member

My wife did the red route at Llandegla on a hybrid. She absolutely hated it.

BadlyWiredDog

I did the red route at Llandegla on a Pace RC405. I absolutely hated it. Probably for different reasons. Doing it on a hybrid might have been more interesting though 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

We went today, one on a Voodoo Wanga SS, one on a Giant Yukon one on an Orange Five and me on my On One 456. We did the Masts loop as an add on and all had a great time. All the bikes including the SS coped fine as did the riders with some 'air' thrown in for two of us off some of the jumps on the black runs.
    There is only really one section towards the end that becomes tiresome on a HT due to the baserock layer coming through making a nice cobbled surface. I was longing at that point for some full on suss comfort.
    So long as the bike is checked and aint gonna break pretty much any MTB will do.

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I agree with grumm, I have been a couple of times on a Singular Swift (rigid ss) and I am not a smart arse! really good trail.

bruk

Often ride it with my mate, him on a Kona Stinky and me on a Genesis hardtail. I wait for him on the ups and he waits on the downhills (though usually a lot less!)

If it's his 1st time he may not notice the forks but surely the best option is to give him the PA and you ride the SX, yes you will be overbiked, make sure to tell him that he won't need all the suspension or he probably worry he doesn't have it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

ffs does it really matter what bike you take??? Jesus H! What happened to just riding? You sound like a bloody women who is getting ready to go out!!! Sod mincing about, man up, grab a bike and go!!
    Here endeth my lesson 😀

jedi

take a bike, ride it and smile. make sure you say hi to riders as you go round. its riding bikes not war

Doug
    Free Member

Take the SX and keep your eyes open 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – bike choice??’ is closed to new replies.