Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Llandegla advice please.
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Going in two weeks for a week. I’ve never been as I always go to cyb. I can take two bikes so out of a rigid fattie,650b full suss, 29+ hardtail and a 650b hardtail what would you guys recommend I take? I’m just a normal trail riding guy with wheels mainly on the ground. Cheers.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Fattie and FS

docrobster
    Free Member

Llandegla for a week?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

FS or a hardtail but probably later as pretty smooth. However you cannot spend a week at LLandgela as its basically one route – with red and black options and few bits you can repeat

Rorschach
    Free Member

The red one.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Well I’m in the area for a week so it’s just over an hour to cyb so I can go back to my favourite place if I need to. If it’s that flat then I will be going too. And I don’t actually have a red one!

honourablegeorge

Bring full suss, get a day in Antur Stinion also

martinhutch

The two 650b bikes, fs and ht. Llandegla is at least 90 minutes of thrills and spills, so you may well be looking for a few other days out.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys much appreciated.

shifter
    Free Member

Really have a day at Antur – it’s great

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Both 650b’s

Llandegla is basically an over grown BMX track in a forest. Fast, mostly smooth and fun. There’s a few optional ‘all mountain’ sections that you can hit and go big if you want – A Line, etc., but the rest of it is pretty rolly (in a good way). Hit it on both kinds of bikes for a bit of diversity of experience, it’s equally fun on a HT as FS.. Enjoy – it’s one of my faves (as is CyB, and Marin at Betwys y Coed)..

mcnultycop

Don’t discount the blue, top fun for a quick HT blast and usually really quiet. I usually do one lap of red/black then one of blue.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The blue one.

plecostomus
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother going to llandegla

gelert
    Free Member

Pick a track in North Wales and you’ll find several people tell you it’s crap and several say it’s brilliant. They’re all great in their own way. I would say that some come alive the more fit you are but that may be true of MTB in general.

Go to Llandegla, it’s great fun for what it is. A super fast XC track with optional jumps (all rollable) and so many options to mix it up across all the tracks and the Blue is especially fun ridden fast. I’ve gone through the love it, hate it, won’t go there snob, back to love it, use it for fitness, ride there from home phases since I started riding. I’m back at the love it for what it is but wish they’d add new sections stage. I use it more in winter than summer but I’ll do sections of Llandegla as part of a from home AM ride if I fancy a few jumps.

I tried to make a different (as in not the B Line!) video of Llandegla back in March:
    Winter is Over – Llandegla Fun

If I had to pick my all time favourite TC it would be CyB but I don’t get there enough despite having a car park pass.

I also love Penmachno (both loops), Marin, Antur Stiniog, Llangollen DH and the open mountains around Llangollen. It’s all great.

I wouldn’t dismiss going to Llandegla though. Just don’t add yourself to the long list of crashes that happen at Llandegla and end up getting air lifted from there.

I don’t get to the TCs that often but when I do I like them. They’re great in the winter.

martinhutch

I enjoy Llandegla, but see it more as a place to break up the drive down into Wales rather than a destination in its own right. Quick blast, back in the car.

Stevet1
    Free Member

The trail centre at Betws-y-coed is not far from llandegla and would also be worth visiting, bit more natural than the Llandegla stuff although I enjoy both.

bigmick25
    Free Member

There is some great natural riding in that area (Clwyds etc) if you’re there for a week I’d explore some of the natural stuff.

gelert
    Free Member

Nukeproof’s 2017 range intro video is at Llandegla!

Nukeproof 2017 at Llandegla

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

If you’ve a week i’d 😀 suggest going to the Alps.. 😀

Only kidding – ride the bike you enjoy the most at trail centres..all centre’s are essentially the same imo.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Llandegla seems smooth, but when I rode it on my CX bike last year I realised that it wasn’t actually thaaaat smooth 😉

craig24
    Free Member

Fattie and FS. You can spend a day at Degla if you do the Black, Red, Blue and have a play on the skills bit, also a stop for lunch because the cafe is worth the visit alone.

mrhoppy

There are some great bits of singletrack around the hills surrounding. Far better than the trail centre.

craig24
    Free Member

Worth a look at if you want to extend Degla –
    http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjcyNzY=

breninbeener

Antur stiniog is ace, but isnt open every day.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I live within sight of llandegla.Drop us a line when you’re up here and if I’m off I’ll give you the tour of the ‘other’ stuff.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks Rorschach and yes I do have a blue one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Llandegla red ( and black) are the only trails that make it seem like you go uphill more than down, by about 120m by my reckoning.

I’d avoid. Find a ride out of Llangollen instead, it’s on the other side of the hill, as Mrhoppy suggests,

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla advice please.’ is closed to new replies.