Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Living/riding with anticoagulants (blood thinners)
  • Retromud
    Free Member

Hi all, long time lurker here, but after a good search of the forums I haven’t found any info on the above, so thought it worth a post.
    I’m just out of hospital recovering from pneumonia, pleuresy and pulmonary embolism – blood clots in the arteries of both lungs. Which has all been a bit of a shock – I’m mid 30s, reasonably healthy lifestyle and was comfortably in the middle of a marathon training programme.
    The infection stuff will just take a while to clear, but going to be on ACs for next 6 months (Rivaroxadan). At the review point I may then end up on warfarin for the rest of my days, mainly due to family history on both sides.
    The kicker is the consultant said straight away – no MTB while on the ACs. Basically, high risk of OTB, head trauma, drugs leading to very high risk of brain haemorrage and death. Obviously there are other sports to avoid for same reason, but this is the one relevant to me.
    So, anyone else in or been in the same scenario? I’m trying to argue a case for gnarmac/gravel riding being low enough risk that I can at least go exploring. Any thoughts on risk management?

ton

i spent 5 years on warfarin. my cardiologist knew i was a bike rider, he told me to carry on doing what i enjoyed, but to be carefull.

dont over analyse it too much, keep on keeping on.

and good luck.

Retromud
    Free Member

Reassuring ton 🙂
    I think the Mrs will be enforcing the 6 month ban at least… quite a scare when I got rushed to hospital.
    I guess I’m trying to find my ‘stay safe’ balance with some awesome single track hill stuff out the back door and Golspie 40mins up the road.

onlysteel
    Free Member

I’ve spent the best part of 13 years on Warfarin after PE at 40, cause undetermined. Like yourself I was in pretty good shape, running 4-5 days and a couple of bike rides each week. At no point was it suggested that I curtail my exercise regime. Had it been suggested I doubt I would have taken it on board, as high anerobic exercise was and is integral to who I am. So what has changed? Well inevitably I have got slower, and reduced my average running distance to around 5 miles per run. It’s an age thing! As a predominately solo rider, don’t take risks on the bike, very much wheels on the ground trail riding.
    As Ton suggests, just apply a bit of common sense.

ton

i would add, when i got ill, i didnt feel up the mtb’ing as much, so i started touring again. well worth a punt. slow sedate fun.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not been through that (hoping my current lung aching oddity is nothing like this), but given how much I get cut to shreds riding overgrown trails on a gentle pootle explore I’d maybe avoid overgrowth for a bit 😀

benjamins11
    Free Member

Different drugs. Warfarin is a nasty drug that needs to be monitored all the time with lots of side effects, Rivaroxaban is has a wider therapeutic range and so does not need monitoring. The crucial difference is that onnwarfarin if you have an otb and subsequent head injury we can reverse its effects quickly with drugs ( beriplex plus vitamin k) with Rivaroxaban that can’t be done so you will just carry on bleeding. I personally wouldn’t mountain bike if I was taking either.

benjamins11
    Free Member

But I especially wouldn’t on Rivaroxaban.

Retromud
    Free Member

Onlysteel – consultant was happy with exercise in general, just the type. NHS guidance suggests any contact sports are off, rugby and definitely no martial arts.
    I wouldn’t say I was a particularly gnarly rider, but a lot of the big mountain riding I prefer has the potential for some serious offs.

Retromud
    Free Member

Thanks for the additional info Benjamin’s – I knew about the monitoring difference but the outright ban while on the rivaroxaban makes more sense then.
    Sensible gravel touring as extreme as it gets then, at least for 6 months.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Living/riding with anticoagulants (blood thinners)’ is closed to new replies.