Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Living near Emirates Stadium – match day disruption?
  • nedrapier

Anyone live near the stadium, or go to matches there?

I'm close to making an offer to rent a house on St Thomas' Road (the one bewteen Arsenal tube and Finsbury Park tube) with 6 fixtures a month, sometimes Saturday and Sunday, it'd be nice to know if the match day traffic is a real disruption or not really much bother.

The flat is on the south end, not the bit near FP tube that they close.

Thanks!

flatfish
    Free Member

60,355 people 6 days a month, hmmmmm let me think if its going to be choas on a match day.

What do you think?

aP
    Free Member

Less than 300m away from a 60,000 seat stadium – you won't even know its there

nedrapier

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

I'm guessing it's somewhere between

a) lots of people will be traipsing up your road for about 90 minutes before the match and and half an hour afterwards, if you need to get to your house it'll be like getting through a high street on a busy saturday, but everyone's pretty good natured.

and

b) total carnage for hours, loads of shouting from boozed up supporters, you be torn between wanting be nowhere near the area and wanting to be in your house to keep an eye on it, probably with a table leg in your hands. And you'll need to buy new wing mirrors every month, and probably a window or two every quarter.

Any idea which end of the scale it is?

nedrapier

aP,

Thanks for that link, I'll read that now. I'd done some searching, for things like "emirates match day disruption" but not found much of use.

brakes
    Free Member

I live a bit further South towards Angel, so my experience is of Holloway Road, Upper St and Liverpool road and they get snarled up, but only for maybe an hour before the match an hour after, and mainly for the main weekend fixture.
    Not a massive problem if you know to expect it and can work around it.
    A bigger problem is getting on a tube at any of the stations nearby: Arsenal, Finsbury Park or Highbury&Islington. They herd people as well as they can, but you still get massive queues to get on the tube and they even stop you walking in particular directions with barriers and police. But again, if you know to expect it, you can avoid it.
    A lot of the roads around there are closed off to traffic and even more to parking to discourage people driving to the games.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well Arsenal FC have had a ground in that area for well over 100 years, and it seems to have been ok mostly. Arsenal fans aren't known for extreme violence like some other clubs, they're actually one of the best clubs for this sort of thing. Travelling fans will be heavily policed. I've been to games at the old Highbury, and it wasn't too bad really, even for Arsenal V Liverpool 45,000+ fans.

brakes
    Free Member

it's definitely more a) than b) from what I've seen.
    I quite like the sound of a stadium crowd anwyay.
    There are a few of us on here who live in the area: two of which I think are pschyle and flatboy.
    EDIT – that article linked by aP is over 3 years old, things have changed since then.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don't think you'l be bothered by the noise. 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, more likely to be annoyed by the amount of overdue books….

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive been a few times recently and been surprised how little disruption there is and how easy it is to get away

trailmonkey

6 games a month ? I think that's an over estimate

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No because you've got league games, cup games, reserve games and European games, so 6 a month is possible. Other events are held there too.

trailmonkey

You can't count reserve games, minimal disruption. 2 league games, 2 ECL games during program, 0 ECL outside of that time, 1 cup game for as long as turkey neck keeps sending the youth team out. Realistically, 4 or 5 in busy months, 3 to 4 typically. No one plays 6 home games a month all season, that's a 72 game season. Even if they've done it before, no way is that typical.

Either way, the only football ground I'd live close to wouldn't be a 60,000 capacity one.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course I'm forgetting the ladies' games and the youth team games, their cup and European competitions, etc, etc…

It gets a fair bit of use, that stadium. Granted it's the men's first team games attracting the big crowds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Living near Emirates Stadium – match day disruption?’ is closed to new replies.