Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • living in whistler
  • Dirtynap
    Free Member

moved from vancouver back to england 18 months ago, live din Seattle before that.

Great place to live, lots of stuff to all year round. Cost is pretty much the same as living in england if i'm honest.

Go if you can you'll love it plus Canadian chicks are hot :D.
    living in Whistler as the title of the post says is probably not a great idea if you working in Vancouver the drive would be a killer.

Burts
    Free Member

Dr Dolittle – Yes, thats it. Burnaby is the city/suburb directly to the east of Vancouver, the mountain conservation area is actually a big hill with Simon Fraser Uni (SFU) on top of it. Some great trails on the east side of the hill (and a cool skills park on the north), good for some XC and introductory DH so recommended as a place to try out when you first arrive. Trail map and local forum here:
    http://www.bmba.ca/gallery/v/trail_maps/trailmap2008.pdf

NSMB seems to be the main website for the Van/Whistler area.

Myself, Mark G and many other expat Brits are members of NSRide, a good way to meet people on regular rides and learn the trails. The season won't start properly again until April but the club does occasional rides over the winter and the forum is useful to organise unofficial stuff.
    http://www.nsride.com/

Get in touch if you want any other advice before or after you arrive (email in profile). If you arrive this winter, just be prepared for a slightly unusual Olympics experience!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Cheers Burts, I'll be in touch when we get there. 🙂

rs
    Free Member

I live up the top of Buranby Mountain and it was covered in snow for a good few months this year and the one before, the lower trails again are more accessible all year but its more fun if you can start at the top, and hell, its snowing, put the bike away for a few months and enjoy the snow 🙂

Here's a couple of little vids i made of burnaby mountain

Upper Cut

Lower snake

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Looks like fun rs. 😀

I'm an old creaky-kneed skater that has never snowboarded. I'm pretty sure I'll love it though.

I'm sitting here with a visa in my passport…waiting for the missus' transfer to come through. **** knows what I'll do for work when I'm there, but I'm sure I'll find something. Another winter in London? No thanks…

rs
    Free Member

yeah, some good little trails, sounds like you've got it made, let the wife work and ride your bike all day 😀

DrDolittle
    Free Member

sounds like you've got it made, let the wife work and ride your bike all day

That's the plan. 😆

miketually
    Free Member

My brother and his girlfriend have just moved to BC, but they're a fair way from Vancouver, living in the Okanagan valley. He's loving the riding, and just spent a weekend at Kamloops.

The photos he's putting on Facebook look superb and he seems to have slotted right into the local riding scene – he was at his first trailbuilding session last weekend and has been riding with the locals despite being out there less than a month.

He was looking forward to being somewhere without too many people, and with proper summers and winters.

rs
    Free Member

I love it through in the okanagan, totally different landscape from the vancouver area, I haven't ridden there but could quite easily live there I think if i could get the work.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's not americanised at all, the only fat people we saw in Vancouver were american and virtually every car has a bike/ski rack.

That's borderline racist mate. Ever been to say Bend, Oregon? Full of outdoor types and fabulous women 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘living in whistler’ is closed to new replies.