Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Living in Edinburgh
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just been offered a cracking job in Edinburgh, which I really want to take.

Problem is, I’m still going to be paying for my place in Leeds for a while (between 6-12 months) while my girlfriend tries to find suitable work (her move will be harder than mine). I pay the majority of the bills and although our current rent is quite high, I don’t want my girlfriend to have to move. We have a house in Cheshire but don’t want to sell that just now and the rental income just covers the mortgage so I can’t free up any additional cash.

So, I’ve only really got around £700-800 max to spend per month on rent in Edinburgh.

I’m from Glasgow originally and contemplated living there (property is cheaper), but then I’d have to add on £300 per month travel costs and can’t really be bothered with commute if I don’t have to, so it seems a bit pointless.

Soooooo, Edinburgh people….where is a nice place to live, close to the city centre, where I can get a 1 bedroom furnished apartment for £700-800 per month?

I’ve looked through a million websites and all the ones that are close to the city look pretty naff for that price bracket, and all the nice ones are in areas that I don’t know at all.

Where should I be looking/avoiding?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should be able to get something for that easily or less

Edinburghs public transport is good so a couple of miles from the centre is no great issue.

I live in Leith – lots of rental stuff both new build flats and old tenements. Shore area better than Easter road. Lots of great pubs and resturants, rubbish shops

Bruntfield / grange / newington/ southside – lots of good flats at that sort of price. Good shopping / loads of students.

Gorgie / Dalry – lots of cheaper flats – bit far out and a bit rougher but perfectly acceptable

I suggest you come up for a weekend and have a look around but you will be easily able to get a nice flat for that sort of money. Bruntsfield might be best

There is a possiblilyt I could organise something for you in leith temporary – email me.

akira

Dalry isn’t exactly rough, easy walk into town and right next to train station plus cinema, shops nice and close. No idea about prices as it’s been a few years but a nice place.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Leith is good for that money – The Shore, Bonnington/Broughton/MacDonald Road kind of area is an easy walk or cycle into town. Hillside/London Road area probably good VFM at that money.

Dalry is pretty up and coming just now as is Fountainbridge. Might struggle with that money in Bruntsfield but Viewforth area would get you something good.

Lots of options, best thing is to come up and have a wander around the different areas. Buses are plentiful. Lots of good cycle paths once you know where they are.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – I didn’t mean Dalry was rough just not as genteel as Bruntsfeild

you might find rentals on here
    http://www.espc.com/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stockbridge is another decent place – something like this?
    http://www.espc.com/renting/302118.html

poly
    Free Member

Edinburghs public transport is good so a couple of miles from the centre is no great issue.

Its certainly better than it was – but its not brilliant. Other cities (including Glasgow) are much better served.

Peterfile – the obvious question would be which part of town is the job in. E.g. if it is at the Gyle then a flat in Leith will involve a tedious commute. Also what are your priorities e.g. easy access back to Leeds at the weekend by car/train; Pentlands on the doorstep for MTB whilst the missus is far away. Those things will all be quite important – once you’ve established the area then finding a 1 bed place in that budget should be easy enough.

Oh, and nowhere in Ediburgh has “easy access” to the city centre if you are planning to drive – its all painful – and especially bad because the council keep digging it up (I think they are looking for treasure).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – as poly says what are your priorities?

akira

You’ll love the trams. 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

Ha ha, funny to hear about the issue re public transport……i was heavily involved in the contracts for edinburgh tram (not our fault what’s happened now though!) 🙂

Job in in West End (EH3).

Priorities are:

Ideally being able to walk to work in 20 mins or less.

Nice area.

Nice interior (i’m a bit of a snob like that 😳 )

Something like this would meet my criteria (although it is a bit Ikea for my liking, but I suppose I can’t be too choosy at this price)

LINKY

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

By walking a few minutes further you could get a lot more for your money. Thats a very expensive flat.

Stockbridge / dean village might well suit.

TheFlyingOx

If this is just to tide you over until the better half gets up to Edinburgh, have you considered easyroommate.com?

You should be able to get a room, bills paid, in a plush flat for your budget.

peterfile
    Free Member

thanks for the tips on the area guys, I’ll get back on t’interweb and look at some of the suggested areas 😀

fatmax

I worked in Chester Street (West End, EH3) for eight years, and lived down in Stockbridge the whole time and loved it. Less than 15mins walk to work or town, close to the Water of Leith/Inverleith Park/the Botanics, close to The Bike Chain, plenty of pubs, cafes, restuarants – I loved every minute of living there…

peterfile
    Free Member

I should add that I work out of Edinburgh loads at the moment (was up on Friday in fact), so I do know some areas fairly well, Stockbridge being one of them. I like the feel of the place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like it would be slumming it for you but I have a wee room going. Not a lot of space for bikes though (I have too many)

cynic-al
    Free Member

thread killed 😎

peterfile
    Free Member

ha ha, not at all mate, I appreciate the offer 😀

My problem is that I’m used to a bit of space (currently just me and the mrs in a 3 bedroom/3 bathroom 2,000sq ft apartment) and moving to somewhere shared might do my head in 😐

I may have found a solution to my problem though……

my girlfriend isn’t looking forward to living on her own, so she’s considering offering one of our spare rooms to a friend who has just split up with her boyfriend. £450 per month including bills sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Which means my budget is now a bit more flexible 😈

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Living in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.