Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Living abroad, 8YO daughter wants to go back to UK. How to deal with it?
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

she has always been obsessed about going back to the UK

Are you sure its not you/your wife who is obsessed about going to back to the UK ? And she’s just articulating a feeling she’s getting from you both ?

Also certainly the UK she remembers when she was 4 wont be the real UK. When she was 4 she wasnt in school etc.

Also does she go to the UK in holidays etc ? She might subconsciousnly be associating the UK with holidays/fun/grandparents/not going to school and Sweden with school/work/boring etc.

I mean surely she has more friends in Sweden than UK. Also moving back to the UK might be very difficult for her, what sort of area is it in Sheffield ? Are the kid at the local schools likley to be alot more “street smart” than the kids in Sweden ?

I dislike cities and much prefer surburia/countryside etc…

Subconsciously this might be because I went to a school in a nice surburan town then I went to the local catholic school (while all my friends went to the local secondary school) which was much more in towards Birmingham and much more urban. There were many kids there from tougher parts of Birmingham I didnt really fit in there. I now work in Central London too.

Im pretty sure in my mind City = Work/School/Horrible while Countryside=Holidays/Family/Fun. I really cant see any good sides to cities.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Also slightly personal, have you and your wife had arguments about moving to Sweden ? Or just had a lot of arguments generally since you moved to Sweden ?

Does your girl think they will stop if you move back to uk ?

I’d be surprised if from the age of 4 she was so keen on moving back to the UK if both her parent were really happy about moving to Sweden and though it was a good idea. I just think she’s getting the idea from one of you.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if from the age of 4 she was so keen on moving back to the UK if both her parent were really happy about moving to Sweden and though it was a good idea.

Obviously the OP will know what’s going on in his/her own house but I remember being a similar age (maybe younger) and saying I wanted to go back to our hometown, even though we had left at 2 years old and neither of my parents ever wanted to go back.

ianv
    Free Member

Also certainly the UK she remembers when she was 4 wont be the real UK.

Tory government for one thing. Persuade her to stay in Sweden.

molgrips
    Free Member

We left Boston (Lincs) when I was four and my sister was 6. She had some friends in school and had to leave them, and she never really recovered. She remains convinced to this day that Boston is a wonderful place and where we ended up is a nasty hell hole and seriously believes that all the people there are nasty.

But then, she’s a bit irrational like that… 🙄

underthethumb
    Free Member

I can vouch for the idea of keeping her busy and involved, it seems it might be as simple as joining some clubs or team sports with other kids of her age.

We recently moved to Florida, kids 12, 5 & 2, we were most worried about the eldest so made an effort to get her out with new friends, At first it seemed a bit too much because at times it felt like we were forcing her to have fun with all these people she had just met but now she has good cirlce of friends and she always has something to do or someone to call on.

The 5yo still asks about home but only occasionally, the youngest doesn’t know any different.

We are going home for 2 weeks in the summer so slightly nervous about how they will react when it comes to leaving time? By all accounts that is the true test of where they prefer to be.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I moved to Hong Kong when I was 9 and it was the best thing ever for me, but we moved somewhere there were loads of kids my age on the doorstep who were in the same situation so I made loads of friends very quickly.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Living abroad, 8YO daughter wants to go back to UK. How to deal with it?’ is closed to new replies.