Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Liverpool. Worth a visit?
  • takisawa2

Now dont laugh but…
    Have a site booked nr Whitchurch for w'end. (Non-biking).
    Sat looks might be bit wet so thinking of heading to Liverpool for the day.
    Just wondered if its worth it?
    Thinking maybe taking the kids on this ferry, amble around the docks, museum etc, that kind of thing.

MartynS

do you know what.. it is worth a visit the Albert dock and the Tateare not bad. Worth looking at the Museum beside St Georges Hall as well. Since most of the building work has been done I actually quite like the place. Parking in the city centre is very expensive though

geoffj

Chester is nicer.

surfer
    Free Member

The Tate are doing a Picasso exhibition so you could go there at the same time. The dock is a nice place with lots to see and do.

Cougar

Everywhere's worth a visit. Not everywhere's worth a second one. (-:

I quite like Liverpool, for what it's worth. It's had its share of problems but a lot of it's been rebuilt, parts are still scabby but parts are really really nice. Much like any city I guess.

surfer
    Free Member

Chester is nicer.

Chester is very "twee" but cant compare to Liverpool. I live right between each and I go to Chester often, if I had one day to spend in either its a no brainer!

project
    Free Member

Drive up the A41 from whitchurch, park up in Birkenhead,(conway park)(cheaper parking and no tunnel fees) catch ferry over to the pool, walk down to Albert dock ,tate etc, then through Liverpool one large shopping centre, up to St georges hall,lime st, stopping off at cavern walks home of the Beatles, then catch train back from Liverpool from any city station, and get off at birkenhead hamilton square, large classical square,just up from the ferry, and return home.

Railway station and car park at Conway park, about 10 mins walk to the ferry,and just down the hill from Hamilton Square.

Also Shrewsbury is quite nice, just up from Whitchurch.

Are you staying at the camp site just outside whatchurch near the cannal, highly recomended by a neighbour.

surfer
    Free Member

Project +1. The ferry is fun.

SiB
    Free Member

Certainly enough going on in Liverpool to keep you occupied for the day. As above – St Georges Hall area with museums and galleries and the Albert Dock will easily take up a day and everything is within walking distance

This weekend there is an event going on called The Hub

http://www.liverpool-360.co.uk/whats-on/hub-festival

described as 'urban youth festival', skateboards, bmx etc, apparently worth a visit.

SiB
    Free Member

Yep, chester is nice and worth a visit but like surfer above I live in the middle of the two, Liverpool wins everytime (and a new shopping centre, Liverpool 1, if taking the 'other half' too).

project
    Free Member

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/river-explorer/index.aspx

Special offers for families 2 adults 2 kids return.

Oh and theres a real sub at woodside, and a large model of the first wooden sub at woodside also.

I work in chester and since the Romans went, nothing happened there,they do have public toilets and running water now,along with traffic wardens trained by the SAS in stealth surveilance.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Yes it is…. Being a scouser i'm obviously biased but that aside it is a great "compact" city to visit. Lots of interesting and free museums / galleries, nice buildings and events, nice places to eat and shops to visit. Liverpool One is a relatively new shopping complex if thats what you're into. Give it a go and have fun!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

anglican cathedral and RC cathedral both amazing buildings to visit, but u must go inside.

albert dock and the tate as mentioned above

MSP

Its worth catching the ferry and seeing the skyline from the water, I don't think there is anything actually in the city to keep you there for more than a couple of hours.
    Matthew St (the cavern) is tacky and just plain disapointing. The tates OK but otherwise the museams in Manchester are better and just up the road.

surfer
    Free Member

SiB, where are you based? I'm in Heswall

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Spent a day in |Liverpool on saturday, despite being a local.

There is a lot to see & do around the Albert Dock & waterfront area. The Tate is good, but the current Picasso exhibition is expensive. Suggest you think about going to the maritime museum at the dock, maybe a trip on the big wheel, good views over the city, the Wirral, and if it is clear across to north Wales, maybe one of the yellow duck marine tours, using ex WW2 DUKW first for a "bus tour" of the city, then a water based tour of the dock area – kids would love that!

Chester is posher, but I wouldn't say nicer. Certainly less things to do to fill a day with kids.

Go and visit Goodison, and see the only piece of silverware won by a Liverpool based club this season (Everton womens team FA cup winners).

SiB
    Free Member

surfer, just down the road in Barnston. Commute daily doing a slight loop through barnston dales, down landican lane up to storeton village, ferry or train. Wirral way off ferry on way back and cut off at heswall or parkgate to get back to barnston. White P7, give us a wave if you see me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I spent a day there doing touristy stuff – should have got a Rough Guide etc as I wasn't massively impressed with the obvious stuff (Tate, Salvery museum) tho Cathedral is flippin huge!

surfer
    Free Member

White P7, give us a wave if you see me!

Small world, excellent commute!

MrOvershoot

SiB – Member
    surfer, just down the road in Barnston. Commute daily doing a slight loop through barnston dales, down landican lane up to storeton village, ferry or train. Wirral way off ferry on way back and cut off at heswall or parkgate to get back to barnston. White P7, give us a wave if you see me!

Small world indeed, that's part of my commute (when I can) Neston resident here.
    White Genesis CX bike

takisawa2

Thanks all. Actually quite excited now.
    I've been to Liverpool probably a dozen times or more, following Villa.
    😛 Usually ending up with a nice run across Stanley park. Sounds like my boys might enjoy the docks etc.
    Ta.

tron
    Free Member

It seemed like a hole to me.

smeg
    Free Member

Also inbetween the two (Oxton for the locals), another option is to park at Seacombe ferry terminal, as it's free parking then hop on the Ferry from there.

SiB – I use Landican lane a fair bit if I'm extending my commute home, then once in Storeton go down the Bridleway across the Golf Course into Prenton.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Also between the two – Willaston – should set-up a local ride….

I really like Liverpool – ferry is great, dockside (especially Maritime Museum and Tate Modern), George Street and the Cathedrals (Anglican is a huge edifice, Catholic is amazing inside in the sunshine).

Chester also worth a visit, walk around the walls.

Paul

actiondan
    Free Member

New Brighton for me, loads of good stuff in Liverpool, The Fact picturehouse does a special kids showing on Saturday's, The Hub is on this weekend great fun, Martyn Ashton probably there doing some tricks etc, plenty of great deli's and restaurants. New favourite of mine is Lunya just behind The Bluecoat, enjoy your day, enjoy the city, great place.

SiB
    Free Member

smeg – bridleway in storeton across golf course?? Is that the one marked footpath down the roman road just at the bottom of levercauseway? Where does it bring you out? Down by prenton dell?

Seems like theres a few locals on here, count me in for a local ride

smeg
    Free Member

The one that starts here –
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=330414&Y=384808&A=Y&Z=115

When you come out the end of Landican take the first left (rather than straight on to the roundabout) the bridleway starts on the left after the last house. I'll then normally head across the park behind Sainsburys up into Oxton. Commute to/from Runcorn 2/3 times a week.

Would be up for a local ride round, normally do Delamere midweek & Wales/Peak/Lakes at the weekends.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks smeg, will be trying that tonight after riding down levercauseway, make my way to irby mill via arrowe park and cut into thurstaston/royden park, up to the top of thurstaston hill view finder, down to wirral way to parkgate then across to barnston, looking forward to it already.

Definitely up for a midweek delamere ride, weekends might need a bit more planning but not normally a problem, we'll get something sorted.

takisawa2

Think I'm going to tour the country, setting up STW group rides in my wake.
    Like an ambassador.
    Maybe even hold receptions, with trays of Ferrero's etc.

smeg
    Free Member

Had a play on thurstaston hill a couple of weeks back, really small but some good fun to be had, found a really good bit just down from the view finder that ends up by the Rugby pitches. Need to explore a bit more and find some routes through Royden\Arrowe Park then down Landican as I can get on the Wirral way at Willaston up to Thurstaston….I'm finding new ways to go all the time

Seems there's a few of us on the Wirral then

SiB
    Free Member

smeg, years ago a few of us had a great run from viewfinder, down past thors rock (other side of ridge to rugby club) in to royden park. Tried it a couple of months ago and altho a few wrong turnings managed it in the end. Got to be an early morning ride that one tho as too many walkers out and about. Will suss it out properly before taking anyone down it if interested. As you know Wirral is fairly flat so any bit of off road downhill is worth exploring, lots of small off road sectiond that can be linked. I ride on the grass verge up and down lever causeway now, better than the 60mph road

GJP
    Free Member

I was in Liverpool last weekend as it was my Dad's 86th Birthday.

Normally when up north I head to Manchester to kill a few hours but this time I went into Liverpool. Must be 10 or more years since I went to the city and I was very impressed with the new Liverpool 1, Albert Dock etc and how it all flowed together unlike before.

It was a nice sunny day which also helps – but next time I am up north I will go back to Liverpool rather than Mancs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do they still play Ferry 'Cross The Mersey on the ferry? Came over all emotional when I first went on it and it played 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Do they still play Ferry 'Cross The Mersey on the ferry? Came over all emotional when I first went on it and it played

Ye big daft bugger Darcy!

Marin
    Free Member

Liverpool is good for a visit, sadly I moved over from the Wirral, moving back though the riding is better over there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ye big daft bugger Darcy!

😆

Fixed that for you, but you're not wrong. I've always loved the song, and thought my girlfriend's (at the time) folks were taking the piss when they told me, "oh, you'll be hearing it on the ferry".

surfer
    Free Member

Liverpool is good for a visit, sadly I moved over from the Wirral, moving back though the riding is better over there.

Marin, judging by the above it sounds overcrowded 😆

Darcy I remember the first time I watched a Liverpool game in the Kop, years before games were seated, It does have quite an impact

smeg
    Free Member

Would have loved to have been in the Kop when it was all standing, must have been an experience…Kop all stand at the moment for games but not quite the same! Liverpool city centre looking much better and still a fair bit of work going on.

Been trying to work out how much of an off road ride is possible round the Wirral, keep finding new bridleways and sneaky bits all the time just a case of linking something together be great on the cx bike for a blast from the front door when time is tight.

colp

Another Wirral person here, Higher Bebington right by Storeton Woods.

project
    Free Member

http://www.letstravelwise.org/micro_homepage37_Cycling.html

For free maps of all of merseyside,also bikes travel free on all mersey rail trains all day every day also on the ferries.
    All zone day ticket about 4.50, for travel to southport,for the trans pennine trail,to hunts cross, chester and ormskirk ,west kirby and Heswall.You can use the above ticket for trains buses and ferries

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool. Worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.