Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Liverpool vs Blackpool (spoiler – don't read if you're a sensitive soul)
  • geoffj

😆

That is all!

Where’s El-Fred ?

bassspine
    Free Member

whats spoiler about this?

sc-xc

I’ll do it. Liverpool got beaten by Blackpool. They are in the bottom three, and I did a big fat LOL. Because I support a rubbish team who are inexplicably doing quite well…

donsimon
    Free Member

Someone is bound to give the game away.

Edit: too slow.

trailmonkey

Crikey, we’re going to need a new needle on the self pity-o-meter.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Crikey, we’re going to need a new needle on the self pity-o-meter.

Its not called Self Pity City for nothing.

Garry_Lager

Agent Roy is being a bit obvious here – he risks being unmasked.

He could actually be on his bike after this fiasco, which would be sad 🙁

billybob
    Free Member

as sad as it is, Liverpoo are now falling into the ex big club syndrome, a la Newcastle, Leeds etc.. a real shame.

It would be a shame to get rid of Roy, but he has a major task on his hands rebuilding Benitez’s boobs on a shoe string budget.

Ed2001
    Free Member

My dearest hope would be for administration and relagation but I feel this is probably just wishful thinking.

fizzer
    Free Member

but it won’t be their fault & Loddrik will be along soon to remind us how many times they’ve won the European Cup…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Agent Roy is doing a grand job there.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll do it for him, it’s five. More times than any other British club. 3rd most successful club in the competition’s history.

There you go.

Liverpool are worse than shit right now. For the first time in decades relegation is a distinct possibility.

The players aren’t playing to the standard they can. It’s the manager’s job to get them playing to this standard. Woy hasn’t achieved this yet in 14 games really, bar maybe 2 Europa League games.

I suspect it’s possible the team is trying to get rid of the manager, as they have no confidence in him. He’s certainly not a great one for producing exciting football teams. He’s never won a major trophy in any top league. Quite why someone thought he would be the right person for the job, is a mystery to me.

Rafa Benitez came from winning two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup. Took a team not as good as the current one to European glory. Won the FA Cup, and a European Super Cup too. Has already won the Italian version of the Charity Shield, and Inter are currently top of Serie A.

And Woy? Hmm.

I’m all for giving someone a chance. Problem is, how long until he does start to produce results?

Thing is, a manager has to hit the ground running in today’s game. Woy doesn’t seem to be able to stand on his own two feet at the moment. Keep him, and risk another bad season, and the possible ignominy of a relegation battle, or get rid and let Dalglish have a go?

Ah, King Kenny; League, FA and European Cup winner. League winner as manager with Liverpool and Blackburn.

Close the door on yer way out, Woy…

Edric64
    Free Member

But Kenny Dogleash had a blank chequebook at Blackburn

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

True, but the amounts were much less than today, even allowing for inflation. He spent £27 million getting Blackburn from the 2nd Division to Premier League winners. The equivalent of around £43 million today. Even accounting for today’s vastly over-inflated transfer market, it’s still great achievement. Point is, he won more than Woy has, in a far shorter time in management. I can’t see why giving him the job would be such a bad idea really.

timc
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, I gather you were a Rafa fan?

You think Kenny’s health could handle the pressure?

Roy… Agree with everything you say about his tenior so far, Im not sure many usually patient fans will stand for things like Meireles on the right wing & losing to Northampton / Blackpool at home, simply not good enough, no matter what nonsense he spouts about time / patience etc…

Grim times, thank god im in scotland biking for the derby!

kimbers

i think benny was harshly judged

liverpool did well under him; champions league, champ league runners up fa cup etc, their sh!t spell coincided with their debt issues and being bought by businessmen far more interested in share prices than passion for fotball

timc
    Free Member

and some strange managerial choices 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Fresh bids are in but in the meantime the **** chaos behind the scenes continues. New owners and woy out before halloween? I hope it’s not too much to hope for and that the nightmare’s over soon.

EDIT: that should be ****ing

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Done, done and done. It’s more Yanks but it’s Yanks with sporting heritage – JWH has not exactly held back with the Red Sox.

binners

Yanks with a sporting heritage you say? Aye… well we’ve been having a fine old time with those at the other end of the M62

Garry_Lager

Far from done, la. Although I hope it does get done – could be Hicks and Gillet (peace be upon them) round 2.

Built by Shanks, Ruined by Yanks, eeeeerm, rebuilt by Yanks?

binners

Quote of the week on this subject had to go to some bloke on 606 the other night:

“Liverpool? Top four? I’m not so sure? The Championship is quite a tough league”

😀

I almost agree with Fred 😯

Benitez shouldn’t have been fired or should’ve been replaced with someone of equal/greater calibre (Hiddink got my vote and I even thought Sven would’ve been a more favourable candidate than Hodgson). Hodgson’s a nice enough fella and did a good job at Fulham, but I don’t think he has the gravitas required to successfully manage big players at a big club.

As much as I would love to see King Kenny bring back the glory days to Anfield, I think he would struggle in the modern game. He did well at Liverpool in his first stint and at Blackburn because he had recently brought the curtain down on a glittering playing career. Today’s players (apart from a few) wouldn’t afford him the same respect as he commanded in the 80s and 90s.

Liverpool were shite before Shankly, Man U were shite in the 80s and Chelsea were shite before Abramovich took over. It’s Liverpool’s turn to be shite again, but they’ll be back.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Far from done, la.

My guess is that Purslow and Ayre felt in strong enough a legal position to go ahead but yep, not 100% done.

Yanks with a sporting heritage you say? Aye… well we’ve been having a fine old time with those at the other end of the M62

Yeah, that’s a sorry tale (cough) – on the other hand, Randy Lerner at Villa’s not so bad and the Red Sox are run pretty successfully so fingers crossed. 😐 until 😀

On the other other hand, I’d have preferred the ‘Asian’ bid to have been taken up but the only way is up from here (as long as woy goes too)

mikey3
    Free Member

Agree with mike,liverpool will be great again,football does,nt mean as much anyway ,when liverpool were truly great football mean something just seems tarnished now,cant explain it ,just does,imho of course,and anyway swansea are the best team in the world,liverpool r only second.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, I gather you were a Rafa fan?

I’m not actually. I think he’s a great manager, and has shown what he can do with relatively little, but also he squandered millions on players who quite frankly he should never have taken a gamble on. Aquilani being the most glaring example. £20 million on a Sicknote treatment table warmer? I don’t think Robbie Keane was his choice, but again a waste of money. As have been Babbel, Voronin and a fair few others. Mind you, Torres, Reina, Mascherano, Kuyt, Alonso etc have all been superb. It’s just that Benitez demanded the likes of David Villa, rather than getting on with what he had. I sympathise with him, and it must have been frustrating, but you’ve got to do the best with the resources available to you. I suppose he did better than most would. But things like his insistence on zonal marking when it clearly wasn’t working led to Liverpool not winning enough matches when it mattered. Consitency in the league seemed to be his achilles heell. I think it was time for a change, as he’d done what he could for the club. I wish him every success at Inter, and wouldlove to see them win Serie A and the CL final this season.

I’d have him back in a shot. He’s one of the best managers in Europe.

He would not have put out a team that lost at Anfield to Northampton Town.

Woy has a top six squad at least. The match of Spurs, Villa, and even Arsenal really. Liverpool are languishing in 18th place. That’s not good enough. Ollie has a team that cost about twenty six pounds seventy three pence, and they beat Liverpool at Anfield.

Rafa is a top manager in Europe. Woy was a top manager in Sweden. He’s an excellent manager for a club like Fulham. Not Liverpool FC.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As much as I would love to see King Kenny bring back the glory days to Anfield, I think he would struggle in the modern game.

I think what he could do is bring back some confidence to the club; an old hand who’s been successful there before. I think he’d need a strong coaching team around him, but I reckon he could give it a good go. He’d definitely appeal to players like Carra, Gerrard and Joe Cole, who grew up watching him play and succeed. This would surely filter down through the rest of the squad, I’m sure. I’m not sure about the long-term, but Liverpool are in a transition period anyway, so I don’t think it would have ben such a bad idea. Surprised a bit when they din’t name him as manager tbh, and appointed Woy instead.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Surprised a bit when they din’t name him as manager tbh, and appointed Woy instead.

But KK would have been an appointment that was all about the fans and the club – everything the cowboys didn’t give a crap about – and Woy was a board appointment, someone who was always going to be grateful to his employers and not want to rock their boat. What’s a bit uncomfortable is that it was Purslow who, alledgedly, levered Rafa out and did the club a disservice but now seems to have done the club a world of good by forcing the sale through. It’s all too confuzzling right now.

surfer
    Free Member

He would not have put out a team that lost at Anfield to Northampton Town.

He put one out that lost to Reading.

trailmonkey

but Liverpool are in a transition period

True, they’re going from average to poor.

State the club is in, they’re lucky to have someone of the calibre of Hodgson.

Dissapointing really all this anti Hodgson vitriol. Not what I’d expect from so called students of the game. A highly respected coach within the game who deserves a reasonable chance at a club in chaos.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In fairness, Reading are a Championship side, not Divison 2!

Leeds beat Man U at Old Trafford last season. These things happen occasionally.

Premier league teams don’t get beaten at home by a team 3 divisions lower, as a general rule.

Benitez’ record is far better than Woy’s in a shorter timespan. Woy’s been managing for eighty-six years, without any success in any top league or competition. If he was such a great manager, he’d have achieved a little more than Swedish league champions and UEFA cup runners up ffs.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Yep, Woy’s totally ovewated by a jingoistic national press who are desperate to find an English England manager. Woy was one of their contenders.

trailmonkey

That would explain his highs standing in Europe would it ? 🙄

surfer
    Free Member

Premier league teams don’t get beaten at home by a team 3 divisions lower, as a general rule.

Maybe you should take a trip to Anfield Fred, although I know its a long way for you.
    I recall the tortue of the Reading game and the extra time which simply prolonged the agony. That was a good team that Benitez put out even if Torres left after a few minutes!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Surfer; my point is that Reading are a much higher ranked team than Northampton Town. Granted, a team of Liverpool’s calibre should expect to win, but Reading will pose a tougher task than Northampton, you’d imagine.

I think Woy’s lost the dressing room (I don’t think he ever had it to begin with anyway). This is the biggest job he’s had in football, and he’s simply not producing any results to prove he is a worthy manager. I don’t think the players have any confidence in him. Seeing as how most of these same players managed to finish 2nd in the league in 2008/09, I’d put the club’s current woeful lack of form down to the manager more than anything else.

The proposed takeover looks a bit more positive. The shenanigans with Hicks and Gillet have continued for far too long. The rot has to stop.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

That would explain his highs standing in Europe would it ?

Roll your eyes all you like but there’s no denying that his start to the season has been abysmal, utterly awful. Totally demotivated players, his best signing being played out of position, no service… high standing in football capital of Eurpoaville, Sweden, doesn’t mean shit if he can’t get a decent squad at least halfway up the table by now.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool vs Blackpool (spoiler – don't read if you're a sensitive soul)’ is closed to new replies.