Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Liverpool (snigger)
  • doctornickriviera
    Free Member

in your liverpool slums:)

Gillett the best a scouse can get

looks like hicks/gillett are determined to take LFC down out of spite imo.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

seems i’m correct on the spite issue!

[/url]

Those 2 clowns are supposed to be billionaires so they could, if they wanted, pay off RBS by liquidating some of their other assets, take back control of the club and sell to who they want.

However, seems like they want to the best of all worlds by not paying RBS back but still wanting to sell the club for more than they paid for it.

Wouldn’t be the end of the world if Liverpool went into administration – it’s early enough in the season to rectify -9 points, and administration would finally get rid of Hicks & Gillett.

kimbers

im really confused have the old yanks lifted their injunction so the new yanks can buy the club

or as is rumoured have the old yanks sold their shares to the yank hedge fund so theyll still go into administration?????

and wtf are the FA or the FSA for that matter?!

Rich_s

I bought the wife a new pair of Liverpool FC knickers from the club shop.

A sound investment, two yanks and they are down.

(c)sicki

avdave2

it’s early enough in the season to rectify -9 points

They frankly don’t look like picking up another 9 points all season

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not at the moment they don’t, but this is a club with a decent squad, better than most of the premier league. Liverpool will pick things up again.

Given the particular circumstances, I can’t see them being docked points. They have a buyer lined up, it’s more or less a done deal, it’s just those greedy bastards trying to screw something for themselves. Anyone can see that. Punishing the club for that wouldn’t be in the interests of football. Liverpool FC are one of the main attractions in World football, not just this country. A big money-earner.

And if they were docked points, then I’d like to see a concerted effort by the team to fight their way back up again. Could be the motivation they need.

I think it’s time Samuel L Jackson was brought in to deal with Hicks and Gillet though…

kimbers

i cant see this farce doing the players any favours over the next few matches if they get a point before xmas theyll be doing well imho

and heres teh latest development

11.40am: Mill Financial: what we are pretty certain we know:
    It is a US-based hedge fund.
    It took over George Gillett’s 50% stake after he defaulted on loans.

What we also think:
    It is believed to be an arm of the Springfield Financial Companies Group, based in Virginia.

Possibly also the case:
    It might be run by Dwight Schar.
    Schar is described as a businessman and philanthropist, and is said to be a co-owner in the Washington Redskins, American football franchise.
    Schar appears on this Washington Redskins website page

They will easily stay up, but mid-table mediocrity is the best they can hope for this season after such a poor start.

They can take hope from Spurs plight a few seasons ago. Rooted to the bottom of the table under Juande Ramos, Redknapp came in and kept them up, following season they’d qualified for the Champions League.

Not convinced Hodgson can do as good a job as Redknapp did, but getting new owners in and some stability is the first step to recovery.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

My head hurts from all this nonsense.

hora
    Free Member

Mental. I was going to say that Man U could never go the way of Liverpool however remembering back Liverpool was a big club historically as well. The amount of debt in Man u is mind-boggling. I’m surprised that their ticket prices haven’t gone through the roof yet but maybe that day is around the corner one day.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Spurs have always been mid table mediocrity til tyhe last few years.

Spurs were paying for Alan Sugar’s Meddling until a few years back. Liverpool could easily be the New Leeds just falling from greater height.

Haze

Liverpool could easily be the New Leeds

*crosses fingers*

surfer
    Free Member

remembering back Liverpool was a big club historically as well

Not so far back actually! In fact 5 to your 3 and you only equaled us recently on premiership/first division wins.

Manchester United benefit from a bigger stadium meaning even at current prices they can get over 70,000 through the gates. Liverpool on the other hand can only hold around 45000.
    Rumour has it that a new season ticket hasnt been given out since 1996. Few would argue that Liverpool could rival Manchester United (or even beat) in terms of attendance then the a new 70,000 seater stadium is well overdue and would go some way to bolstering the clubs finances, even if it would cost around £300m to build.

hora
    Free Member

Leeds were never really that big a club were they though? They dreamed they were.

History doesn’t really count for much (Accrington Stanley, Preston North End, even Wolves and Newcastle will attest to that).

But the difference between them and Liverpool is that LFC is a global brand and one of the most supported teams worldwide. Their fanbase (and revenues it generates) is probably 100 fold that of clubs like Leeds. Only reason they are in so much debt now is because the owners bought the club on finance, then heaped that debt onto the club. New owners will apparently clear that debt which will mean future revenues go towards investing in the club/players, not servicing debt.

LFC’s debt is around £237m to RBS, but isn’t Man U’s debt over £700m/£800m?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Yeah but Liverpool have got to finance the stadium to get these bigger crowds. Though I hate to say it Arsenal are probably the most sustainable club in the current top 5. They also have a brilliant manager and play good football. They made a mint out of Highbury are always in the Champions league and arent saddled with mountains of debt like man u chelsea and man city. And they have their modern stadium too. Spurs fan on truth serum here with reality check in place!!

That’s right, Hora. Leeds were a successful club, but never a big club with a big international fan base like LFC, MUFC, Barcelona and Real.

hora
    Free Member

Madness how over the last two seasons Leeds managed to get attendances that they have. Are people in Leeds thick-necked? Or are they all showing the ‘Jones bragging right’s?

‘Aye, see there. We watched them throughout the latest dark days’!

kimbers

doctornickriviera – Member

Spurs have always been mid table mediocrity til tyhe last few years.

Spurs were paying for Alan Sugar’s Meddling until a few years back. Liverpool could easily be the New Leeds just falling from greater height.

spurs have been run as a business since way back iirc first club to be floated on stock market?
    and pretty sure only club to turn a profit every season since the start of the premiere league

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I know Kimbers spurs are heading in the right direction financially but it would be nice to win something big along the way!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but never a big club with a big international fan base

Are you really sure of that?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I feel international fans will be fickle and move on to more successful clubs. I wonder how many international fans Chelsea had 10 years ago. not many i’m sure.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Leeds’ problem, along with that of many other clubs with an illustrious history and successful history, is that their heyday pre-dated the inception satellite television and the marketing behemoth that is the Premiership. If you haven’t been a fixture in the Premiership all this time then you might as well not exist. Look at two-time European Champions Nottingham Forest.

Historically, Leeds were a club people loved to hate – “winning ugly” was their stock-in-trade. I doubt there are many football fans who fondly regard Leeds as their second team. There is a kind of romance to Liverpool, the city, the Beatles, Hillsborough, You’ll Never Walk Alone, pass and move, etc, that would appeal to your average floating voter-type international soccer fan looking for a “storied franchise” 😡 to latch on to.

Where would Leeds’ “international appeal” come from? A few hundred Irish people with family in Leeds? Some Dutch or Belgian people of a certain age on the fringes of UK TV signal reception who remember them on Match of the Day, back in the day? Can’t imagine there are legions of Malaysian Leeds fans dying for them to come and play pre-season friendlies in Kuala Lumpur.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Looks like thats that done and dusted. Hicks & Gillett admit defeat, but are going to attempt to sue for £1bn in damages.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

romance to liverpool??!!!

However i was also thinking of Forest as a great fallen team with a great history.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

This will run and run. Gillett and Hicks seem hell bent on getting even with the fans of LFC and have the funds to do it.

Anyway how about Robbie Keane and David Bentley- Yours for £40 million!!

thehustler
    Free Member

Surfer, want to bring FA cups into this too, how many?……

For once I agree with Surf Mat. Leeds don’t have anywhere near the international support/appeal of LFC. Most people outside Leeds hate them. They have a great history, but not in the same way that LFC, MUFC or even Arsenal have.

Weren’t Forest only really good under Cloughie? The Peter Shilton, Trevor Francis, Gary Birtles, John Robertson/McGovern era? Again, a successful club (for a while) but not a big club in the same way that LFC, MUFC, Barca and Real are.

surfer
    Free Member

Dont kid yourself Hustler you would swap them all for one more European win!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For once I agree with Surf Mat. Leeds don’t have anywhere near the international support/appeal of LFC.

Not saying Leeds have a bigger overseas support than LFC, but they do have a large overseas support – the largest outside of the premiership at the moment.

iDave
    Free Member

Deal has been done, no 9 point deduction

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool (snigger)’ is closed to new replies.