Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Liverpool commuting suggestions
  • slackboy

So, my office in Manchester is closing and I’m moving to Liverpool. Not ideal as I live in East Lancashire. I’ve been commuting into Manchester on fridays for a while now (35ish mile round trip).

I’m looking for a quietish route into liverpool from the north and would like some suggestions. the plan is to drive over the M65/M6/M58 and park up about 12-15 miles away so I can get a decent ride in.

Any ideas?

andylc
    Free Member

The M58 is a very quiet motorway, I believe statistically the quietest in the country. Maghull station is a relatively short hop from the end of the M58 and the line runs directly from here into Central Liverpool.

slackboy

Cheers. Is there bike route from the station?

Esme
    Free Member

Road or off-road? The Trans-Pennine Trail starts in Southport, and passes quite to the M58 before heading south towards Liverpool. Also there’s the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

Whereabouts is your new office?

slackboy

Bang in the centre, liverpool one. I’d prefer to use the road bike, but happy with canal paths

andylc
    Free Member

Ha! We’re on a bike forum and I took the ride in to be on the train! From the end of the M58 it’s pretty busy roads all the way in really. Not a pleasant ride. If you came into Crosby and perhaps could get away with parking at the Crosby Marina then you could head in on the commercial dock road, much quieter but a poor quality road last time I was there.
    Leeds Liverpool canal might be a good option, it has been extended right into the City Centre although I don’t know if all of it can be ridden along.

slackboy

yeah, I do the route out via switch island in the car and I really don’t fancy that on a bike. the leeds/liverpool canal looks like it might be a goer. I’ll give it a go one weekend

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The end of the M58/M57 (Switch Island) is having major road works ATM and can stop traffic for a long time.
    As mentioned, get of at Maghull, find a quiet street near the canal and ride in on a long twisting gravel trail that’s only a bit narrow just after Aintree for a couple of bridges.
    Just ride past the drunks at Bootle very fast.

Liverpool is the quietest city for rush hours traffic I’ve known, but maybe it’s just that I avoid it at the peak times living on the outskirts.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Dont come off the M58 at Switch Island, come off the M58 at J2, turn right down School Lane, over the railway bridge, left down Deyes Lane and then there’ll be somewhere there to leave your car and jump on the canal near to Maghull Station. It’s not a bad area so it will be fine.

You can pick up the Leeds to Liverpool canal within a few minutes from Maghull Train Station (Maghull Square) and you’re away! At commuting time, Bootle area will be quiet! Certainly in the morning i’d imagine.

Or you could come down the East Lancs Road from the M6, Park around Kirkby / Knowsley and ride down the rest of the East Lancs Road into town. I think there’s some cycle paths / lanes but not sure on the whole route though.

Maghull / Canal is best option i’d say.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

There are no cycle paths from under the M57 to Evertons football ground.and plenty of traffic lights to hold you up.

project
    Free Member

I frequently ride from Maghull station to either southport or liverpool using the TPT, and led liverpool canal to liverpool, its bumpy and some low bridges.

Free cycling maps from http://www.letstravelwise..org/cycling and from liverpool one bus station info point, sefton and liverpool maps youll want.

Oh and bikes go free everyday all day on merseyrail trains, ormskirk northern line passes through Maghull, second door of first and last coach designated cycle space.

project
    Free Member

A59 from Maghull towards lpool,there is a new cycle path round the Switch island then head towards Bootle,past aintree race course, onto canal at aintree or new strand and sail down to lpool, some nice old buildings, just beware of blind bends on canal bridges turns.

Also ther dock road from Crosby way, very potholed and bumpy but intresting buildings.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

edge lane going into the city centre was always a nightmare when i drove to Liverpool, M62 fine all the way, get to Edge lane then standstill…

i did the manchester to Liverpool ride once years ago, pretty sure that just followed the ship canal in a straight line all the way. maybes pick that up in Warrington or something?

slackboy

thanks guys. some great info there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool commuting suggestions’ is closed to new replies.