Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Littl'un = car/van/bike dilema
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

The recent arrival of mini-me has opened my eyes to the amount of ‘stuff’ needed whenever you take them anywhere. It’s also left me scratching my head a little as to how i can fit 2 adults, 2 bikes, camping stuff, baby stuff, oh and a baby into a Ford Focus.

The simple and considerably cheaper solution would be a rack for the car, although I’m not massively keen on them tbh. So I’ve been looking at vans a bit and having never really looked before hit a minefield of options.

Any help/advice would be therefore be much appreciated! The van would need to seat 3 minimum, preferably with a seat in the rear for the littl’un and have enough room for bikes and stuff. Sleeping in it would be a bonus if possible (i quite like the conversion Hannah Barnes had done, but doesn’t look like it would work with a rear seat) but isn’t essential (we have a decent tent). Major stumbling block is budget, max of about £7k i reckon so no posh transporters 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

Touran or sharan. You’ll get a decent one with 50/60k on the clock. Plenty big enough for swallowing all your gear plus decent economy too.

DrP

The simple and considerably cheaper solution would be a rack for the car, although I’m not massively keen on them tbh

I’d save myself £6850 and become keen on them!
    Really think about how often you’ll actually need the space for bikes and camping kit – a focus is a decent sized family hatch for the vast majority of stuff….

DrP

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I drive a Vito with 3 front seats and wasn’t sure how we’d get on with the little guy in there too until we tried it this weekend.

The rear facing nipper seat just fits in the middle space, which is cool as we can both keep an eye on him, I prefer this to the rear facing in the back of the car. It also leaves loads of room in the back for all of our toys and possible sleeping next summer. Ideal. 5 weeks old and he’s been in 18bikes twice…

v8ninety

What on earth is wrong with a rack? Solution to your problem, I reckon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you get a bigger car you’ll just fill it with more baby crap. With just one sprog or arguably even 2 you don’t need a bigger car. Bike rack, top box …

By all means get a bigger car if you want one (eg medium sized estate) but it’s not needed.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’d save myself £6850 and become keen on them!

See i know that’s the sensible answer, but i was keen on getting a van before we bought the Focus, so I’m using it as an excuse to at least consider it. 😀

Gravityslave – Would you want to do that regularly (Van would be only vehicle for us as not needed for commuting) and was it comfortable…ish for the other passenger?

DrP

…but i was keen on getting a van before we bought the Focus, so I’m using it as an excuse to at least consider it.

Now that’s a completely different incentive altogether isn’t it!!
    And one I now can sympathise with 😉

Dr ‘van envy extremis’ P

jambalaya
    Free Member

I suspect Mrs Burchy1 wouldn’t be keen on a van … try renting one for a weekend, it’s quite good fun but as a family car I don’t think it works so well and if/when your next kid comes along you are selling up.

As I’e posted before we had one of the 2000 vintage Rav4’s which worked really well as a family car (easy to park, great visibility for driving, kids sit high so can see out – less car sickness etc) plus on the model we had (external rear wheel) the rear seats come out meaning it’s van like when you wish. With a bit of organization you could remove one seat and get all the kit inside with junior in the remaining rear seat. I’d suspect you can get a reasonably decent Rav4 for £7k.

neilforrow

I am in the same boat.

I agree about the rack thing. Pain in the ass and I dont like hanging my bike off the back of the motor.

However, there is this in pinhoe:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-vw-passatt-est-19tdi-130-highline-2

I would be looking at a van… and for 7k you can get a lot of van…

Van1
    Van2

tinsy
    Free Member

VW’s are overpriced & overated in my veiw.

Both of these are only the 2 front seat options, I prefer the 3 seats in front ones, but you get the gist…

If you plan on kipping in it the trimmed out ones are better as vans just get horribly cold.

This needs the shoddy bulkhead removing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Mercedes-Benz-VITO-111-CDI-LWB-Dualiner-Dual-Liner-A-C-Sat-Nav-6495-silver-/320990975892?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4abc8d9794#ht_1210wt_986

or if you can a bit futher this is nicer.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-MERCEDES-VITO-111CDI-3-COMFORT-DUALINER-LONG-5-SEATER-SILVER-CREW-COMBI-VAN-/271055242407?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item3f1c26c4a7#ht_1138wt_986

I think as an everyday vehicle though its going to cost you in fuel big time over a Focus..

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Gravityslave – Would you want to do that regularly (Van would be only vehicle for us as not needed for commuting) and was it comfortable…ish for the other passenger?

Yes, it was fine for all, everyone comfy, just slightly tricky to get into reverse, baby seat needed moving across slightly. We have a car with quick release base in the back for the seat but I enjoyed us all sat in a line! My Mrs rides too so we’ll hopefully be doing some family point-to-point rides or shuttles where we drop one another off and take turns to drive and look after the little man.

I have the van as my daily drive as it’s far better for riding, great for doing up the house and I also ride motocross – I went for a smart one as I use it for commuting too and love it.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I was dead keen on getting a van and had my heart set on a transporter. Until I hired one to move house. Horrible thing to drive, no way I would have one as a main vehicle over a car unless I absolutely had to for work, as I work in an office job this is not a likely scenario.
    As an only vehicle there are too many downsides imho. Parking is a nightmare, increased tolls, lousy visibility, lack of comfort, poor driving position, heavy clutch, awful gearbox that feels like stirring porridge etc etc.
    I still get a little van envy when I see a nice tricked out one, but for me it would only work as a second, occasional vehicle. There are too many compromises the rest of the time.

In your situation I would be buying a bike rack, and/or getting an estate car.

alfabus
    Free Member

Parking is a nightmare, increased tolls, lousy visibility, lack of comfort, poor driving position, heavy clutch, awful gearbox that feels like stirring porridge

Parking is easier in my T5 than in my A4 (so says the missus – wheels in corners, great visibility)
    Tolls are the same everywhere i’ve ever been (Severn bridge, French autoroutes), might have different experience with no windows in the back though.
    Driving position is lovely, like a range rover, but even more ‘commanding’.
    Clutch is very car like
    6 speed manual gearbox, very nice shifts – stick on the dash, so nice short throw and easy to use.

What transporter were you driving, sounds very different to mine!

Dave

Burchy1
    Free Member

I think as an everyday vehicle though its going to cost you in fuel big time over a Focus..

Agree completely, although in our situation it wouldn’t need to be used for everyday duties.

Yes, it was fine for all, everyone comfy, just slightly tricky to get into reverse, baby seat needed moving across slightly. We have a car with quick release base in the back for the seat but I enjoyed us all sat in a line! My Mrs rides too so we’ll hopefully be doing some family point-to-point rides or shuttles where we drop one another off and take turns to drive and look after the little man.

Interesting, as thats exactly what we’ve been discussing doing. 😀

Neil – things are calming down a little now, you about next week, we might pop around for a chat?

petrieboy

I’d love a transporter but could never justify the expense of one, especially a proper one with suitable airbags and stuff to keep the kids safe. We’ve got a zafira where the boot is taken up by the dog, bags in a roof box and camping kit in the trailer (which has its own roof rails for bikes). A galaxy would have been nicer but more expencive. Next car will be a berlingo

Burchy1
    Free Member

This is the type of thing i’ve been tempted by…

Renault Traffic

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d rather park my Vito, with a wheel in each corner and massive mirrors, that our A3 with tiny mirrors and back window.

It’s on 18″ rims, lowered springs and remapped, which all make it great to drive. I find it really comfy and relaxing, great forward visibility, good on the motorway and it sticks to the road well.

Until I hiredone

could possibly be something to do with it?! 😉

Sure, they are not for everyone by a long shot, cars are good, I have considered a rack for the car but I take the van in preference to the car. It depends on your lifestyle though, for me bike transport/storage and mobile changing room or the ability to pick up house stuff far outweights any downsides.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Parking is easier in my T5 than in my A4

Rightio…

What transporter were you driving, sounds very different to mine!

A rental. I’m prepared to believe that a nice top spec one is better than the one I had.
    Still I personally wouldn’t have one as my main vehicle.

alfabus
    Free Member

> Parking is easier in my T5 than in my A4

Rightio…

Granted, it is a bit longer (I have a LWB), but it is no wider than a car – same chassis as a Passat. The difficulty is all in your mind 😉

Dave

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Littl'un = car/van/bike dilema’ is closed to new replies.