• This topic has 45 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Little video of the climach trail i did
  • makkag
    Free Member

15 mis of singletrack footage of the climach x trail in dyfi forest .. or just skip to 3-50 if you wanna see me come off !! .. was my first time on the trail and im not particularly fast so go easy .. but i think the video demonstrates why if you have not been you should give it a go .. its awesome .. hope you enjoy

Climach-x trail

makkag
    Free Member

oh its also uploaded in 720p so change up the format if its a bit fuzzy

stumpy01

Looks like fun. I’ve not been there yet, so should probably put it on the list of things to do this year.

How was the camera mounted? Chest? It could do with pointing up a little bit so the view is further down the trail, rather than top tube & knees. But, that can be hard to set-up.

continuity
    Free Member

The end descent of climachx is up with rowan sorrel’s trail at cwm rhadaer as one of the best in wales.

I once went out with a good friend there at about 7 on an autumn evening. By the time we’d made the climb, it was darkening. As we started the descent into the trees we just almost all light. My night vision is good but not that good. Truly terrifying. The only light the guy behind me had was the sparks as my pedals caught the rocks occasionally and a flash of white from my jersey. The GoPro of the run was so dark you couldn’t even see the handlebars infront of you.

makkag
    Free Member

yup chest , its angled back as far as the mount allows , so gonna have to have a bit of a play with harness , or consider mounting else where as i know what you mean ..highly recomend it , we were pushed for time as were on the way home from C Y B or would have pedaled up and done it again!

makkag
    Free Member

sounds a bit like my last trip to afan mate did w2 and finished on zigzags , sun had gone down and it was just hold on and scream time .. but to be fair there was not a 300 m drop to my right !

Milkie
    Free Member

Mount it this way:

Taken from a different STW Chesty Mount Topic. 😉

SiB
    Free Member

You left your glasses there at 4.08min!! Looks like good fun

composite
    Free Member

If that’s the GoPro chest harness then mount the camera upside down and you can aim it up until it’s filming up your nostrils.

makkag
    Free Member

thanks for the tip milkie will give that a bash next time .. yeah saw the glasses go after my little moment , nomeone may have a free pair , luckly id left my jawbones at home and brought a cheap pair at CYB bike shop the day before or i would not have been a happy bunny !

timmys

Very odd seeing some of the descent without the trees – it was always so dark in there. I have a feeling it’s going to make the drop at the side of the trail a lot scarier!

That sharp left at 13:45 scares the crap out of me every time!

makkag
    Free Member

that drop sure scared the crap outa me for a bit

soobalias
    Free Member

hoping to head up there in a few weeks, gutted to find the bunkhouse in mach is booked up

the second days riding will be somewhere on the way homewards (SE) – nanty or cwm rhadear(?) what do you recommend?

continuity
    Free Member

Nant Yr Arian is like Coed y brenin lite. It has a lovely quick loop with three or four nice singletrack descents, and rewards someone with a long day as well. The riding is mostly like the above – close and tight treelined singletrack.

Cwm Rhaeadr is much further south, near Brechffa. It’s one long (probably 15 mins descending) drop with a slow fireroad climb back up like a rollercoaster. Lots of twisty, turning, high berms, more like half way between singletrack and a 4x track and a dh track.

If you have a day to spend somewhere, I would go to Coed Y Brenin and do the beast (or even the MBR route). It’s worth the drive.

If I had two days to spend at welsh centres, I would drive early to CYB, do the MBR route, drive south to Mach and do a few loops of climachx (the longer you have the more singletrack you can do, but it’s all pretty weak in comparison to the final descent). I would then drive south, spend a morning doing cwm rhaeadr and an afternoon at brechffa. But you will be pooped.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Nice video , terrible choice of music though.

makkag
    Free Member

Thanks! You cant please all the people all of the time :-), I like’s my House Music !

stevenieve
    Free Member

Try a bit of tape or velcro behind where the buckle fastens on the chest mount, should dampen the rattle picked up by the GoPro’s mic.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

milkie +1. The camera has an upside-down mode which saves you post-processing it to flip the image. On the devilish settings menu somewhere.

And if you are going to use the chest mount, you need a decent under-downtube mudguard or it gets splashed.

Nice work tho

makkag
    Free Member

Yeah that annoys the shite outa me – do you mean the housing buckle on the camera unit ??

Cheers Buzz will have a read through the awfull instructions and work that out – cant justify a mudguard though, spoil the bikes look dunnit !!! 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Front button – turns it on
    Front button – keep pressing until it says “Set”
    Top button – enter settings sub-menu
    Front button – cycles through mode sub-menu – stop when it says “Up”
    Top button – sets it to “UPd”
    Front button – save setting
    Front button – cycles though rest of mode menus, stop when it says “Esc”
    Top button – exits the mode menus
    Use normally except mount the camera as Milkie showed.

Buckle clicking noise is a common problem with GoPros, and they make a rubber widget to reduce it:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaJT1WGSi8[/video]
    But I try the tape solution too.

I recently bought the handlebar mount was impressed with how stable the image was compared with chest/helmet.

makkag
    Free Member

Top man many thanks just brought one off ebay ! , i wanted to try a few new mounts & will give the handlebar one a go , id assume that it would also fit a seatpost as well ??

stevenieve
    Free Member

Yeah that annoys the shite outa me – do you mean the housing buckle on the camera unit ??

Not the camera housing, the chest strap buckle/fastener, it has a tendency to rattle against the chest plate.

makkag
    Free Member

cheers pal , i went ahead and brought the little rubbber thing meantioned above off ebay !

makkag
    Free Member

holy thread resurrection batman . but thanks to buzz , milkie n stevie , the angle is much better and the rattle has been banished , went to cannock today .. had my doubts about the mounting but it is much better .. shame the footage was so slow .. not a cannock fan but thats another story .. oh and after buying the anti vibration thingie from ebay i found mine !! so if any of you lads need one im happy to post it to you !

shifter
    Free Member

Nice vid – the camera angle gives a good impression of the speed, did you go back for your glasses?

grum
    Free Member

Not watched the vid yet but I think I might have found your glasses. What make/colour were they?

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks fun! We planned to ride there a few weeks ago but the guys in dolgellau cycles said the main/final descent was shut so we opted for CyB instead.. looks like we’ll have to re visit!

donsimon
    Free Member

Skidz are for kidz. 😉
    Nice vid.

makkag
    Free Member

lol endura & orange. no did not go back just bounced and got on with it. did not realise for about half hour i love singletrack for the above reason , i reunited someone with their cateye after a swinley ride after advertising on here & now my glasses maybee on the way back !

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

if any of you lads need one im happy to post it to you !

Ooh yes please. My email is in my profile. Contact me and I’ll send my address.

makkag
    Free Member

tom apparently they opened it the day before after finding some rare animal nest or some such shit .. thats what a local told us anyway !! highly highly recomended trail.. best decent i have done in the UK for sure and the rest of the singletrack is good also !

kimbers

good vid , good riding

mboy
    Free Member

Just having a quick look, looks good…

But OMG… You’ve picked probably my favourite tune of 2011 as the music for it! Lovebirds feat. Stee Downes “Want You In My Soul”… AMAZING tune! It maketh me veeeeery happy 😀

makkag
    Free Member

bang tidy tune my favorite of 2011 then my favorite of 2012 so far mboy thanks for the props kimber , would have been faster if i would have known what was over the blind shit , but thats next time .. stee downs what a voice ! us young uns eh !

mboy
    Free Member

Just for you makkag…

Will be uploading some more stuff onto my Soundcloud soon too. Please (if you’ve got an account) add me, and tell your mates etc… 😀

Oh, and just finished watching your video, very nice. Some good riding there, I will have to go sometime. Couple of devilish looking drops, and the blind turn at 13:45 looks a bit of a shocker!

What bike you riding anyway? Looked a bit like a Turner 5 Spot when you came off…

makkag
    Free Member

added i have soundcloud and will have a listen , thanks pal i thought i was a bit rad to the power of gnarr at times yeah that blind turn threw me allthough when my front wheel washed out at 10-30 ish was a little more heart in the mouth.. Tis a 2006 5 spot horst link thats been brought up to date , got the frame off a 55 yo guy that had it from new never jumped or trashed and taped from new for 400 quid in jan this year its like new , got a set of nos revs 426 for 230 off lbs and transfered all my other kit over .. truely a great bike .. wanted a new one but could not take the £2200 for new frame .. i know its pretentious but turner just do things right !

mboy
    Free Member

i know its pretentious but turner just do did things right when they still used to make 4 bars !

There, FTFY 😉

Seriously though, I used to be one of the biggest Turner fans, then all of a sudden they ditched 4 bar (which was the main reason they still rode well despite their low main pivot) and went to linkage actuated single pivot. Now they’re on the DW Link, which may well work quite well, but by god they’re ugly! Proper 4 bar Turners are awesome bikes. My mate had a 2001(ish) Turner Afterburner, predecessor to the RFX, he bought silly cheap on ebay back in about 2006. He only kept it a few months, in honesty the medium was a tad big for him at 5ft 7, I was just gutted when he sold it I was skint at the time cos it was the nicest riding full sus frame I’d ridden at that point! He sold it to Finlay Paton, who at the time had just left MBUK and gone to work at TFTuned, and was mega happy with it cos it was a bloody rare find apparently!

makkag
    Free Member

i still want a turner burner !!!, the 2012 frame is not as gopping but i agree the 4 bar still has it for me , its odd to say it but at the time i was in at the lbs for a asr 5 or a new 5 spot &i brought this in they built it for me , chris the manager had it for a few days and said its just as good as anything they have now .. imho frames and designs have not come on much in the the last 5-10 years and a good horst link still stands up to whatever there is now , i threw my leg over and in 5 mins knew it felt right .. cost 800 quid total after piligaing parts and its never let me down or felt out of place even when hooning it off drops to flat , just takes it and says more please !! just dont let the linkage snap !

Duggan

Good video that, looks like top fun. Also I liked the music as well.

grum
    Free Member

lol endura & orange. no did not go back just bounced and got on with it. did not realise for about half hour i love singletrack for the above reason , i reunited someone with their cateye after a swinley ride after advertising on here & now my glasses maybee on the way back !

Yup I’ve got them. Email in profile – send me your address and I’ll get them to you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Little video of the climach trail i did’ is closed to new replies.