Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Little things that make your ride less good than it could have been
  • rascal
    Free Member

Little local ride this afternoon…trails running very nicely. Pull up next to my garage at end of ride to discover luminous orange fresh dog egg on both tyres, top of fork crown and a few random splatters on frame and by god it stank! Amazingly none on me

tomd
    Free Member

When I saw your thread title I thought along the same lines.

Other one is finding a local trail that’s been horsed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Other people.

slowoldman

Horses may outdo dogs in quantity but it’s nowhere near as toxic.

andeh

Riding to the top of my favourite trail to find that the area has been felled and said trail is more 😥

tomd
    Free Member

It’s not the horse poo, it’s the hub deep gloop. A dozen horses passing through can turn some of my local clay based trails into a quagmire.

tenfoot

Finding a trail across a field that has been ploughed over. Result, hike-a-bike with clagged up shoes and cleats

hatter

The rustic peace and sense of being at one with nature being somewhat undermined by a persistent and intensely grating squeak or creak emanating from parts unknown.

kilo

I lifted my cx bike over a gate yesterday and lent it against the fence as I went through the gate the bike did a slow motion topple onto mud and grass which managed to snap the rear mech hanger, because Planet X apparently used cheese rather than metal on this particular part. That was a less than optimum ride

sirromj

Just don’t mention the P word.

Rorschach
    Free Member

For about half a km I had a trail dog of my own…..it was ace 😀
    Then we caught up with the owner and off he went 🙁

belugabob
    Free Member

I lifted my cx bike over a gate yesterday and lent it against the fence as I went through the gate the bike did a slow motion topple onto mud and grass which managed to snap the rear mech hanger, because Planet X apparently used cheese rather than metal on this particular part. That was a less than optimum ride

To be fair, most mech hangers are made of softer metal than you’d think, because they are supposed to break – the reason being that it is far easier to carry a spare mech hanger, than it is to carry a spare mech (and a hell of a lot easier to fit, at the side of the trail)

lardman
    Free Member

Children…… (my own ones)

Denis99
    Free Member

Grumpy trail rider.

In fairness, this person I met today on the trail is the only negative instance of trail hogging I have encounter.

Beginning of a descent and there are three riders in the distance, I begin to catch them up on the descent, not hand over fist, but steadily.
    So, being a considerate old duffer that I am I keep riding behind them, at a sensible distance, but I’m close enough that he can hear the trail clatter etc.
    He’s on a full sus bike, I’m on my hardtail ( for the haters it’s an ebike , and a fat ebike at that).

Trail turns to a level / flattish section so I politely ask if he could let me past.
    He ignores this.
    He ask again, he pulls over , and I say thanks.

Next thing he starts swearing at me, and grizzling about killing his momentum.

So I stop and ask him what’s the issue.

Complains that by stopping he lost his momentum.

So I tell him to. Chill, and I’ll let him and his buddies ride down the next section and wait.

Looks at me guilty and forlornly, probably cursing being caught up my an aging old duffer on a 21 kilo monster truck.

In the end I just carried on down the trail,

Never had any issues with anyone ever, people going faster than me are always asked if they want to pass, no issue, no fuss.

Drac

Nails hammered into the soil.

kayak23

Litter, particularly energy gel wrappers and inner tubes. 👿

colournoise

tomd – Member
    It’s not the horse poo, it’s the hub deep gloop. A dozen horses passing through can turn some of my local clay based trails into a quagmire.

This. +Many.

senorj

Thinking my bottom bracket is creaking ,or is the quick release tight enough,or is it the seat post ?
    Then ,after stopping ,tightening quick release,stopping again,checking cranks I remember that the cable on my lights ,vibrating on the frame , cause the creak. grrrrrr.
    That ,fox shite And! returning to civilisation chilled and relaxed and some cockwomble in a car attempts to murder me.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

For me it’s usually sheep.

The South Downs, particularly the actual SDW, is quite a large area, loads of fields around either side of the SDW nicely fenced off, but NO they have to put loads of sheep actually ON the SDW. It’s the poop they produce, loads of it and it sticks like, well you know what. Sprays up your legs, in your face, has to be scraped off my frame, dug out of tyres and leaves green stains on my kit.

And, and, the stupid feckers actually run in front of you when you pass them, not away from you but actually right across your path.

So, to suddenly find 5 miles of sheep infested trails ticks me off!

teasel
    Free Member

Nails hammered into the soil.

Around this area (Chilterns) the LBS owner ran into a crow bar thrust into the ground at just the right angle on a downhill track to catch unsuspecting and unwanted cyclists.

Nice. Definitely not as good as it could have been but no one was killed this time.

rone

Burnt out cars. Obnoxious people on crossers.

funkmasterp

Pinch flats in the middle of a ride and it dawns on you that you haven’t got a spare. Nice six mile walk home pushing the bike 🙁

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Needing to crank out a number two. Halfway up a mountain. On a hot day. No long grass in sight 😯

That and creaking BB/cranks.

jekkyl

When your mate gets a flat with a tube and you have to cut 15-20 minutes off the end of the ride to accomodate the repair time.

theotherjonv

When your mate gets a flat with a tube and you have to cut 15-20 minutes off the end of the ride to accomodate the repair time.

Don’t stand around chatting for 10-15 minutes after he’s repaired it then?

scaredypants

15-20 minutes

😯 ??

breadcrumb

Midges.

martinhutch

Mystery creaks and moany walkers do it for me. And meeting Kankku off-roaders halfway down what feels like any descent in the South Lakes!

He’s on a full sus bike, I’m on my hardtail ( for the haters it’s an ebike , and a fat ebike at that).

Denis, you’re not the bloke I chatted with at Afan this summer, are you? Can’t think there’s that many fat e-bikes out there…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another vote for boring yapping chasing dogs.

I got bit on the arm by a Sheep Dog last year, it chased me down and bit my arm whilst I was probably doing 15mph on the NCN2. Clever Doggy.
    The owner was typically useless until I threatened to both kick its teeth in and report her.. I took a photo just in case of her her dog and my arm pissing blood…

Grrrrrr

BigDummy
    Free Member

In Hong Kong we’ve currently got grass seeding on most of the trails. Your ride is fine in every respect, but at the end of it you’ve got thousands of seeds to pick out of your clothes and gear. They’re difficult to remove completely, and very slightly scratchy.

🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

Wow Denis, imagine being to able to catch up riders on your electric powered motorcycle?, have some respect for people on real bikes.

Things that ruin your ride(apart obnoxious ebikerz) …your car breaking down on the way to the trail. If anyone passed a white Hyundai on the hardshoulder, South bound M74, Saturday… That was me.

Denis99
    Free Member

martinhutch

Denis, you’re not the bloke I chatted with at Afan this summer, are you? Can’t think there’s that many fat e-bikes out there

Hi Martin,
    Yes, that’ll be me around Afan

martinhutch

Hi! Did you get the Lauf forks in the end?

Oh, and have you been overtaking Dumbbot? He seems a bit miffed.

Denis99
    Free Member

dummbot

Think you’re missing the point here.

Generally it is a tad slower downhill, so I thought I would stay at the back , to my surprise I was a little faster but thought I would wait until the terrain got a little flatter where I would obviously have more speed.

Just be a little considerate not wanting to disrupt someone’s enjoyment riding downhill on a full sus vs me on the fat ebike ( doesn’t give any advantage on the downs).

Once on the flat, I thought I would ask to move over when convenient, ignored, then swore at and loads of grumbling…..

Doesn’t matter about the jibe for the electric motorbike, I genuinely don’t see what this has to do with the situation.

If I had been on either of my two human powered bikes then he would definitely have held me up.

Just out riding having a bit of fun.

Denis99
    Free Member

Yep, Lauf forks.

But they tend to be fitted to the Vir Fortis Carbon fat bike these days.

Fat bike must weigh about 12 kilo now

singlespeedstu

dumbbot.
    I feel the same about people overtaking me when I’m on a real bike and they’re on a high horse.

lunge

Head winds, or more specifically, head winds that seem to turn around when I reach the half way point so I have one on the way back too.

Faffing. there is a good reason I do most of my rides alone.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Stupid over the bars and landing in the rest of the puddle, because the previous 20 puddles that I rolled through didn’t have 3 inches of mud in the

qwerty
    Free Member

Needing a poo.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The wind. Subtly and imperceptibly chipping away at your morale till there’s none of it left. 👿

Then you turn round and head home with it in your sails. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Little things that make your ride less good than it could have been’ is closed to new replies.