• This topic has 70 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Little things that make a ride better..
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A while ago, a red squirrel dropped out a tree and ran alongside me for a few yards then up another tree. I like to think it was up for a race, but it probably wasn’t.
    Made my day whatever it’s reason was.

HughStew

Finishing a ride stronger than you started.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Companions who are slow enough to make me feel like a riding god but not so slow as to be annoying.

Northwind

Good one that. I like to have at least one technical feature that I can ride but my mate who fancies himself as better than me can’t. Ideally just after he’s tried to give me hints.

(he is faster than me, but that’s because he’s young and brave, and I’m old and wise cowardly)

whitestone
    Free Member

Jelly Babies. They’re little and they make anything better 😀

And what about: “The smell of napalm in the morning”?

Sorry 😕

trailhound101

Correct tyres and tyre pressures for the job in hand.

mrblobby
    Free Member

On the road… Patient and courteous drivers.

beano68
    Free Member

Finding a new route thats you never knew 😆

And whats been said before, dog poo on the trails !! its seriously bad where I live and then trying to keep your mouth shut while blowing out your arse trying to avoid shite being flung in ya mouth ! 👿

richardthird

Finding an answer to a long held mystery.

Dog owners bag their shite and leave it on the ground or hanging off a tree …
    to pick it up on their way back past, apparently.

Couple of pints after a ride always make it better.

medoramas
    Free Member

When you have a little cold, get on a bike and 2 minutes later you can finally breath through your nose…

Klunk
    Free Member

Dog owners bag their shite and leave it on the ground or hanging off a tree …
    to pick it up on their way back past, apparently.

that’s an urban myth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava heatmap for your local woods…

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

First not being rushed on a ride, especially as I do like to explore trails that I’ve not ridden before, so feeling like I’ve got to get round and back to the car as fast as possible just makes the ride crap.

Second riding a new bit of trail or landing a jump and it goes sketchy but you somehow manage to ride it out and end up riding off with a huge grin for the rest of the ride.

belugabob
    Free Member

Chasing your mates down a grassy hill, and watching little bits of frost flying up off their wheels – the winter equivalent of dusty trails.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Peace and quiet on the trails, not seeing anyone else out there all day.
    Although I do like riding with the GF (she’s at the stage now where she’s starting to kick my Arse on a few of the downs as well as the climbs), bro and Brother-in-Law.

One of the few (the only)joys of shift work is being able to ride mid-week and having the trails to yourself/small group of mates.

Tom KP

relliott6879
    Free Member

Flapjack.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Love seeing the Wild boars whilst riding in the FOD,still pretty surreal and makes my day.
    Laughing like a loon after really pushing your luck on that scary fast descent knowing that you JUST about got away with it,again.
    Hearing the pitter-patter sound of the forecasted rain just as you get home after a ride,and knowing that just for that moment yin time you’re smarter than Mother Nature herself.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Uplift.

takisawa2

Stopping off for a drink or bite to eat.

You see, in my head I’m a lone cowboy. A drifter out…well, drifting the plains. I saunter in to some dusty town, eyes all on the mysterious stranger. I tether up my trusty steed. & strut into the dark saloon, all eyes on me as the salon doors swing to a creaky stop behind me. I saunter up to the bar, lay my dusty Stetson down & order me a whisky. Then the bar tender slides me the bottle along the bar & I saunter off to some shady corner.

In reality I’ve popped out of a muddy bridleway, to the out of town McD’s, clumsily walked in (after pushing the door the wrong way), I’ve then been told not to put my sweaty Giro on the counter before ordering a Latte. All the while dropping mud everywhere, as parents & children stare at me, & staff rush to sweep up the mess I’ve brought in.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Not coming off.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Getting sprayed by stans , and not even having to stop because the punctures fixed .

wilburt
    Free Member

Nice socks

BFITH
    Free Member

rumbledethumps – Member
    Not coming off.

Plus one.

and I’ll add “Not breaking a bone”
    Currently nursing a broken collar bone which isnt healing very well – new bike arrives in mid November and sure I’ll be able to ride it! 🙁

Euro
    Free Member

1) When its proper wet, and the rain is dripping of the peak on my helmet (ooo err!) Somehow makes me feel “pro” and justifies being out in all seasons.
    2) Finishing a ride and realising you have a dusty tan on exposed bits of flesh. Again, makes me feel like a better rider for some reason.
    BJ

+ 1 on the last point 😀

Loads of little things for me

• Getting the amount of clothing just right
    • No mechanicals
    • Friends making something they didn’t think they could
    • Cheerie walkers
    • Unexpected two wheels drifts
    • Finding the balance point on a manual first go
    • Getting up a hill and still feeling fresh
    • Stopping on a solo run to do a bit of maintenance/building (seems to happen on every ride these days)
    • Song matching the terrain i’m riding (it’s like destiny maaaan!)
    • Stopping for a funny cigarette on a gentle solo ride

Pretty much anything you can think of. I’m easily pleased 😀

soundninjauk

Seeing, from the top of one hill, rain falling somewhere else.

Absolutely this, plus

– Haribo Tangfastics
    – It being exactly the right temperature to ride in shorts & t-shirt
    – Getting to the top of a long climb and feeling absolutely fine
    – The ‘ting’ noise of cooling brake rotors after a long and tricky descent
    – Walkers holding gates open for you
    – Seeing that you’ve used all your travel without noticing

Basically like Euro above me, I just really like riding bikes.

boltonjon

Getting up that nigh on impossible technical climb – letting instinct take over and your momentum just carrying you up & over it

Strangely more satisfying than nailing something daft on a big descent

Also – solo bivvy rides – the whole adventure of it all 🙂

jn49
    Free Member

Riding a bit of trail and experiencing the sensation of “flow”

DJTC
    Free Member

Chairlifts.
    Post ride KFC.
    Not needing to clean the bike.
    Bike being quiet.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Ladies in lyrca.

epicyclo

Expecting rainless days, no dog shit or mud is asking too much.

So mudguards. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Finishing the ride with a light bit of dust coating the bike and exposed skin is a good one 🙂 I love riding but hate it when it’s proper boggy, can sometimes ruin a ride for me.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Little things that make a ride better..’ is closed to new replies.