Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Little problem with windows7 upgrade and going wireless, help please.
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I successfully did the win7 upgrade from vista. I had wired connection with speedtouch dial up broadband (ie I had to connect, it wasn’t an auto connection). Anyway, after the upgrade I had to buy a router and go wireless as the Speedtouch modem wasn’t compatible with win7. I had to phone for assistance in setting up the router to work with Firefox.
    The problem, all other software that use an internet connection (adobe, MS windows explorer etc) still seem to be prompting the speedtouch dial up to connect and don’t detect the new wireless router. how do I sort this out? If I uninstall the Speedtouch software, what will happen to all these programmes that rely on it as the default internet connection?
    What do I do next?
    Ta

uplink
    Free Member

Generally, I wouldn’t install any router or modem software from ISPs & the like

Windows is pretty good at sorting the connections out itself

If you go into the control panel you should be able to disable the Speedtouch connection & see how it pans out

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Uplink, It was quite an expensive router from Comet or somewhere like that. I don’t think I actually installed any software, The laptop was already wireless ready.
    can you give me a clue where in control panel I disable the speedtouch connection or change the default internet connections of adobe flash player, internet explorer etc.

dan1980
    Free Member

You won’t need to install any software on your computer for the router.

To start with, if you go to control panel and then into the “Network and Sharing centre” you should see a connection listed for your old modem. If you right click, and disable this.

You may then need to set a new connection, and configure this to use the wireless on the laptop to connect to the router.

Once you’ve set this up, you’ll need to log on to the router using internet explorer, and configure this for your ISP.

Once you’ve done all this, you should have access to the internet again.

Cougar

In IE, tools / Internet Options there’s an option something like “Always Dial an Internet Connection” – disable this.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks for that all, I seem to have solved all issues by uninstalling the old speedtouch software, just a bit scared to do it incase the world ended in an apocalyptic pop. IE connects and adobe plug-ins now work.
    Cheers

Cougar

Sweet.

As a rule of thumb, ISP bundled software is evil.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Little problem with windows7 upgrade and going wireless, help please.’ is closed to new replies.