• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Little plastic rings that come with Shimano disc brakes
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Anyone know what these are for?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

They clip on to the caliper mounting bolts to dtop them loosening.

halington
    Free Member

I thought they were clip-on hose guides – put them over the hose and stick the prongs into the existing cable stops.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They clip on to the caliper mounting bolts to dtop them loosening.

+1

thepurist

Just how much of a problem is caliper bolt loosening in the real world? About as much as the problem of rotor bolt loosening that those little metal tabs are meant to solve?

(Cards on the table time – first ride on a new-build hardtail last week and after a few miles I had a rubbing noise from the back. Stopped and found I’d forgotten to tighten up the rear caliper… or had it come undone???)

ds3000
    Free Member

I’d never have guessed that in a million years, ta.

thebunk

Just how much of a problem is caliper bolt loosening in the real world?

I wondered that, also with the split pin for the brake pads. I remember a time when men were men and bolts were bolts and you didn’t need any of these funny new fangled bobbins to keep your doohickies attached to your wotnots.

thebunk

I’d never have guessed that in a million years, ta.

You want to be reading the instructions then!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wondered that, also with the split pin for the brake pads. I remember a time when men were men and bolts were bolts and you didn’t need any of these funny new fangled bobbins to keep your doohickies attached to your wotnots.

Well my car (1976, but the brakes used had’t changed since the 50’s) has a big metal shim that has to be bent over the bolt heads. Plastic clips or even wire would have made life easier.

Look at the wheel nuts on a lorry/bus, those plastic tabs are to show if the nuts have moved.

GW
    Free Member

Just how much of a problem is caliper bolt loosening in the real world? About as much as the problem of rotor bolt loosening that those little metal tabs are meant to solve?

Had both happen on more than one bike with more than one brake. it’s not a massively big deal if you notice how your bike feels and realise quick enough, Your ride could go horribly wrong if you don’t.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Little plastic rings that come with Shimano disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.