• This topic has 92 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Little perspective please- relationship q.
  • clanton
    Free Member

She earns more than you – yet still wants you to pay towards her fuel? Seems odd.

I used to earn a little more than my wife (I now earn a lot more cause she now works part time as we have a kid) and we contributed equally to a joint account out of which came all our joint expenses. I paid separately for my fuel though cause I commute further.

All that said though – at the end of the day as the man in the relationship you will end up doing what she wants regardless……

njee20
    Free Member

We contribute to a joint account (not equally, vaguely similar proportions of salaries), which covers all joint expenses. Petrol isn’t one of these, but I will tend to drive at weekends and what not to balance out ms njee20s increased usage during the week (I cycle/get the train to work).

Personally I couldn’t fathom contributing every penny to a joint account (it’s about half our net salary in both our cases), but I know that works for some people.

Tend to work on the basis that if we’re covering joint expenses then ms njee20 can spend the rest on what she likes!

JoeG
    Free Member

So, she was a Russian mail order bride? 😉

mikeyd
    Free Member

Have you factored in that she wastes 10+hrs a week in a car and you get to ride your bike?

Same situation here, I pay half the fuel.

The alternative would be to live inbetween our places of work and I would have to pay the same in fuel.

She earns 3k more than me.

crankboy
    Free Member

Do not argue over money … every one has personal arangements that either work or don’t you can’t really transpose what is right for one couple on to your own life . I think that my finances after to years together are my wage goes into a joint account my savings are in a joint account my investments (hollow laugh) are in my name My wife has an account in her own name for her Bursery and other support out of which she pays all child care and which she tends to use for what she sees as her personal expenses we also have a joint saving plan i think.

when we started i had my accounts she had hers and paid me rent but we both spent freely on each other and our joint needs. The merging of finances came along with our sons birth.

So from a clear division of assets we now have a confusing mess but the important point is we are happy with it and do not see any of it as anything other than joint money.

JulianA
    Free Member

We have a joint account into which we both pay a set amount (calculated on yearly outgoings / 12). The rest is ours to spend as we choose – usually holidays / meals out (when car insurance and tax etc. has been taken care of)

We’re lucky enough to earn roughly the same as each other mostly (wasn’t always the case – I have caught up!), so it just works.

We learned a long time ago that it all comes out roughly equal in the end, so we don’t usually bother to do the ‘you paid for this, I paid for that’ calculations.

Married 15 years and counting, been together 2 years longer than that.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

It is a commitment test.

singletrackmind

Source a VW UP or similar deisel engined small car?
    If its 35 mins non rush hour or 60 mins rush hour then I am going to guess its 32 – 36 miles ? 68 miles a day = 340 a week. 6 galls in a small deisel a week. £6 per gallon £36 a week £156 a month .
    Thats using a conservative MPG of 56mpg . VW UP or Bluemotion Polo return 60+ mpg .
    Saves a few ££££ and she might stop moaning .

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you’re going to get married, then get a joint account and split bills 50/50.

Check the forums she’s using?

dabble
    Free Member

It’s aliiIIVE!!!!

psychobiker
    Free Member

We have a joint account all monies into account, all bills covered. I earn 3 times her wage, but she is the mother of my child so who cares. We both buy what we need, and if money is a bit tight then we budget, so long as mortgage, bills and food are covered everything is fine.

We have friends who keep it all seperately. Horses for courses.

ourmaninthenorth

I earn around double Mrs North’s salary. We’ve been together for 17 years. Only got a joint a/c three years ago. I fund that. We both spend it.

But we’re shit with money, so don’t follow our example.

core

Don’t pay, why the hell should you?

If you had full joint account set up then fine, but you don’t. Paying it is like accepting you living where you live is for your benefit, but if she was happy 6 months ago it’s a bit rich to ask now once she’s realised the cost.

I’ve been with my other half 9 years, lived together since July, pay 1/2 rent each & equal set amount into joint account each month to cover groceries, household stuff, tv licence, electric, council tax etc, but the rest is separate. Married friend does the same, works fine for all of us, as long as all the bills get paid, up to you what you do with the rest.

Only caveat I’d add is that the above only works if incomes/outgoings are similar.

Maybe the naivety of youth, and if/when I get married then fair enough, chuck it all in a pot (though it’ll not work out like that for me if I marry this one (family farm etc…..). I’m stubborn, and doggedly stand by my opinion, and just don’t do the giving in to mrs for an easy life thing, I’d rather have disagreements but know I’ve stood by my principles.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Little perspective please- relationship q.’ is closed to new replies.