Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • little metal doodah on the back of avid juicy calipers.
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The bit that sits on the back of the caliper and the pads clip into it.

Do i need it? lost mine while changing pads.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I ran some crap Aztec pads without them for a while as the pads were too big so the clips stopped them retracting. Didn't do any harm I don't think.

Kahurangi

One of mine came out and wouldn't go back in without bending into a horrible shape. I think I got it back in eventually.

I suspect that they do a useful job of holding the pads in 🙁

simondbarnes

The pad retaining clip? I guess it depends on whether you want your pads to stay in or not 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think I'm with SoB, there's not much else holding in Avid pads (though, as they're often a b1tch to get in, you might be safe…)

scaredypants

not much else holding in Avid pads

what about the pins on the pistons and recesses in the pad backing plate ?

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's not a problem but they could fall out if the wheel isn't in. Mine haven't.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Admittedly, I've only had one set fall out on me (on a hire bike I'd add…). Maybe it's just me, but I like the Hope / Shimano style retaining pin. Obviously they are going to be basically safe or they wouldnt sell, but I'm also sure Avid dont include the Do Dah for no reason either.

Now, those concave washers on the other hand…..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I can't find the damn thing or where i can buy one.

Thought it might "be right" because of the locating pin on the pistons and the fact the pads can't slide out with rotor in.

SnS
    Free Member

Rear brake on my Stumpy (Juicy 5) hasn't had one of them clip things for a couple of years. No idea where it went….One day it just wasn't there.

Chris

seanodav
    Free Member

Got them here but seems you have to buy all the other stuff with it 😯
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26186

alexpalacefan

I've not had 'em on my commuter for years. No worries here, and makes the pads a load easier to get in.

APF

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘little metal doodah on the back of avid juicy calipers.’ is closed to new replies.