Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Little lads bikes?
  • scandywag
    Free Member

After advice from here a couple of years ago we bought our then 4 year old one of these.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/mx16-blue

It’s done really well and is still in good nick for little brother!
    It is a bit small now though, so looking at maybe 20″ wheel bikes (or bigger?), maybe with gears?
    Any suggestions?

luke
    Free Member

the mx20 is the next model up has gears and a basic suspension fork

carlosg
    Free Member

got a 2nd hand raliegh hot rod 20″ for my 7 year old, its an older one so no heavy poor quality suspension on the front but 6 gears and an alloy frame, he loves it!

griffster
    Free Member

Either that or an Islabike. We bought a Cnoc 16 for our 4 year old and it was amazing to see the transformation in his riding. His next bike will definitely be another Islabike. This one.
    http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn20.html

jkomo

Islabikes are so light, and such good quality.
    They also hold their value like you wouldn’t beleive.

timirons
    Free Member

We have had Cnoc 16 that griffster mentions which we then grew out of into a beinn 20, which we have also now grown out of into the Beinn 24.

Our good condition Beinn 20 is now for sale. PM me if you are interested, or look in the classified section…

As you may have guessed I am big fan of the brand and they are really as good as everyone on both this forum and others say. I can echo the comments above regarding the speed at which their riding comes on when they are on a lightweight bike that has all of the components that are the right size for little hands.

takisawa2

My lad has a Beinn 20. They are excellent, very pricey though. I had a real good look at the 20″ Carrera Blast at Halfords & had we not dropped on the Beinn at a good price I’d have happily bought the Carrera. Its not much heavier.

beefheart
    Free Member

My wee man has the 20″ carrera- 7 speed, it feels light and he gets on well with it, and it’s shiney blue!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Daughter is 7.5 and has a cube race 240. It’s just a little big at the moment but she rides well with the seat at its lowest. Our thinking was that it will last well to her teens and avoid constant bike buying.

stuartddancer
    Free Member

Hi got my son an islabikes creigh last year. He got on really well with it with it, very capable bike. He could ride the red fortwilliam route on it and have fun. Looking to sell it for the right money? Have a look on the website and i can post you some pictures if you fancy it.

scandywag
    Free Member

Had a look at the Islabikes and they seem spot on. Bit pricey, but well thought out kit for kids.
    Only problem is they’re not taking any orders for the next 6 weeks, and maybe not even after that.
    I had thought the Beinn 24 (10.3kg £300) would be right for our eldest, what’s out there that is comparable?

TiRed

Trek MT60. Adjustable cranks and bars, gripshift (good for small hands), modest front suspension (think there is a rigid version too). Had one for both my sons and it went around Swinley and the school run. Sold it for £50 to a friend.

To be honest, once you get above the Apollo steel crowd, there are no bad choices these days. Look for alloy brake levers and aluminium frame. After that, they are much of a muchness. Colour is likely to the biggest differentiator.

jkomo

Isla bike all the way, they are cheap if you consider their used value.
    Ie buy a used one for £170, sell in a couple of years for £150.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Little lads bikes?’ is closed to new replies.