Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Little bits of kit that make you happy
  • lunge

Just had my Zefal HP-X pump delivered. It’s big, not overly light and distinctly “old-skool” in design. But. It pumps tyres up quickly, it fits perfectly under the top tube of my winter roadie and just feels right. I almost want to get a puncture on the road to try it out in the field. Can you tell I like it?!

honourablegeorge

I bought a BBB masterlink pliers form CRC a few weeks ago. Real Eureka moment. WTF was I doing without one all these years?

jekkyl

the freewheel hub is a great bit of kit. From wence all cycling flows. (unless on a fixie but then you’re just weird)

theflatboy
    Free Member

With every “correct tool for the job” I acquire, I marvel at what a revelation it is to use rather than bodging it with something else as previously. Cable cutters, workstand, track pump etc. all an epiphany.

fasthaggis

One of the best things in recent years. 🙂

honourablegeorge

+1 the workstand, that was my last one.

onandon
    Free Member

Mine has been with me for years and I still love truing wheels with it.
    I’m sure better version are available but that’s not the point 🙂

rayyoung
    Free Member

Does clothing count as kit? I have a fifteen year old Helly Hansen base layer long sleeve top still doing stirling duty. Despite some minor holes there is no sign of it’s demise.

wwaswas

These two, make shortening hoses a joy;

TiRed

K-Edge Garmin mount. A nice piece of CNC jewelry for my bikes. Now have three – two black and a grey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The little magnet on my Osprey bag. Such a simple thing, but it just makes sense!

bob_summers

Zefal HPX makes me happy as well, although the frame it used to fit perfectly in is now long gone, and it doesn’t really fit any of my current ones. And the spring rattles on an otherwise silent bike.

But nothing else gives you the smugness of loaning it to a clubmate who’s struggling to get a crappy lightweight pump to inflate the tyre or even seal on the valve 8)

bob_summers

Also one of these. No more bollockings for getting coffee grinds around the bin, up the back of the sink cupboard door etc…

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Is this what you’re talking about honourablegeorge? I got one a few weeks ago (after turning a thumbnail blue) and love it.

travellinjones
    Free Member

Agree with theflatboy – any ‘right tool for the job’ – especially a quality one.

brakes
    Free Member

I found a kid’s watch the other day and fastened it to the handlebars of my commuter.
    it’s a bit pikey, but I just love it! saves me having to find my phone to find out how late I am!

Andy

Pedros tyre levers in pink. Never break and always easy to spot.

fasthaggis

I know that I can buy 100 miles of Shimano outer for the same price ,but these i-LINK gear cables make me 🙂 .

Edit > good shout with the Pedros levers,they are rather good< edit

JoeG
    Free Member

Stan’s valve tool

Cheap pogies for winter riding

And that little key clip in the pocket of a hydration pack that lets you ride without worrying that you left the pocket unzipped and lost your keys on the trail!

somafunk

Hayes Brake Pad alignment tool for setting correct alignment of the calliper and pads to the disk, I guess it does nothing that a set of feeler gauges won’t do but it’s very handy none the less

Pedros vise grip pliers for casette removal, very handy.

dandax1990
    Free Member

These Topeak tyre levers

OCB
    Free Member

#1. Proper cable cutters.
    #2. Proper headset press.
    #3. Knee-warmers!

singlespeedstu

Any bearing or bush extractor/puteriner.
    Yes you can do it with sockets and a vice.
    But the feeling of a bearing just sliding in and out of its mounting hole with no fuss is just great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My top tool of 2013.

Was trying to remove brake sliders from my jeep that the previous owner had made a mess of trying.

Bit of light heat an irwin quick clamp – those extractors and a spanner. Out she came like silk

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ooh those K-Edge clamps are nice – wonder if they fit a Mio GPS? They have a similar quarter turn to lock system.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Superstar do one with a plastic insert for the quarter turn – stops your gps back getting eaten as they do in k edge ones

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

work stand. tick
    cable cutters. tick

but you know what still makes me happy after years of riding? clicking into pedals. such a satisfying sensation.

so for me, it’s the SPD.

stevied
    Free Member

Just ordered one of the BBB chain tool thingies thanks to this thread. Didn’t know they existed..

dannybgoode

Gotta be the Ahern hip flask + cage

Off to find me those Garmin mounts – they look sweet…

mamadirt
    Free Member

wwaswas, that Jagwire tool is fantastic 😀 . Lost count of the number of times I’ve kinked a hose trying to force the barb in and ended up having to cut it down again 👿

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Powerlinks and my hydration pack.

takisawa2

My most treasured possession…

When I win the lottery I will have one hewn from a billet of 6/4 Titanium.

DT78
    Free Member

Wwaswas where did you get that insert fitter thingy? I want!

Re garmin mounts i prefer the cheaper sram version that puts it over the stem for mountain biking. In boring black plastic though

dexa

Thank you, thank you – another tool I have to have: BBB open link tool.
    Just ordered from CRC £5.99. No more blood curdling screams from the shed.

_tom_
    Free Member

With every “correct tool for the job” I acquire, I marvel at what a revelation it is to use rather than bodging it with something else as previously. Cable cutters, workstand, track pump etc. all an epiphany.

Yep, definitely! Workstand is next on my list I think.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for proper cable cutters.

A proper headset press, star fangled nut installer and crown race tool have all been good investments for me too. No more bodges.

honourablegeorge

makecoldplayhistory – Member

Is this what you’re talking about honourablegeorge? I got one a few weeks ago (after turning a thumbnail blue) and love it.

Yep – went with the cheapo BBB pone from CRC, but it’s an absolute godsend.

In slightly related news I put a narrow/wide chainring on my Soul – struck by just how much less hassle things are without a chainguide – cleaning/lubing chain, fitting/removing cranks, etc. Suspect it will gather less mud and end up cleaner as a result too.

karlp
    Free Member

Like this post a lot.
    Agree re the powerlink tool, shouldn’t need one but often do and when you do sooo much easier.
    Been on to CRC to buy the Hayes tool for pad separation (thx).
    Can’t add much other than a selection of zip ties in your trail bag, can be used to fix a multitude of problems for you or other trail users, therefore, a bit of kit that makes people happy.

Klunk
    Free Member

outboard bearing puller and press.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Little bits of kit that make you happy’ is closed to new replies.