Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • lithium grease on bearings?
  • Garry_Lager

I have to change the bearings in a formula hub, which is cup and cone type. Is that white weldtite lithium grease good for this sort of application? I have some, but whenever I’ve used it elsewhere the results have been a bit average.

Related question – is 1/4 inch bearing a typical size for a rear hub? It’s what I have to hand and looks right just eyeballing it…

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes to 1/4. White grease is a bit crap IMO, usually dries up.

prezet
    Free Member

I used some in a recent repack but found it a bit thick. I ended up replacing it with some of the more general purpose Shimano green assembly grease which worked a treat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Always read that lithium grease is a big no no. Eats something, like seals.

Hub/headset/pivot bearings I use marine grease. Best for keeping water out and grease staying in.

philjunior
    Free Member

Lithium grease is the right stuff for bearings, whether that particular one is any good is another matter.
    Don’t use it in forks etc, though as it will allow the bushings to react with the stanchions.

seadog101

Always found lithium grease really good in wheel cup and cone type bearings. Lasts ages and is easy for clean up and replacement.

Don’t buy cheap though…

tjagain

Cstrol LHM for me. Its the only grease I use and my big tub ain’t finished yet.

Garry_Lager

Thks all – opinion seems divided so I swerved it in favour of some decathlon stuff, then noticed that one of the cones was slightly pitted, so probably a moot point in this case anyhow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘lithium grease on bearings?’ is closed to new replies.