Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Liteville 301 and hope e4 brakes
  • andybrad

So I’ve swapped my x2 for some e4 brakes and the outlet for the rear is on the inside as opposed to the outside of the caliper on the x2. This means the hose runs quite close to the disk. I can’t run it the usual (strange) liteville way so has anyone else got them and how did you route them? At the moment I’ve just pivoted the fitting to the frame and its OK. But I’d like it better.
    Cheers

andybrad

no one?

Another issue is the pad retaining clp doesnt seem to stay central. On he x2’s its a tight fit but due to the length on the e4 it seems to slide to one side after use.

Strange. I must have something setup wrong?

tmb467
    Free Member

Is this just on the Liteville or on the E4 in general?

I’ve got E4 brakes on mine – can take pics or you can nip down and have a look

chiefgrooveguru

I have E4 too, I’ll have a look at some 301 pics to see if I can understand the issue…

wwaswas

I ran the hose like this on my 301 – never had problems and made sur eI left enough slack so the suspension movement didn;t pull it. Not best pic but you get the idea.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not sure if this is relevant to the other posters responding but my new set of stealth X2 / E4’s have the cable entry and bleed port swapped around compared to the slightly older set of evo X2’s I have on another bike.

andybrad

that last pic is the issue.

The hose has to cross over in front of the disk to get to the chainstay. Seems close.

nickc

Does that matter though? Rotor’s fixed, hose is fixed, theyre not going to contact each other are they?

wwaswas

Seems close

I never had an issue. The hose is in line with the pivot so only moves vertially, not horizontally. I assume you can adjust the entry angle of the hose into the caliper to give the best clearance of the rotor (like I did).

I really think it’s a non-issue with the hose routed like that.

tjagain

can yo swap the bleed nipple for the hose port? Most hope brakes can and would this give you a better hose run?

P20

I’d ask Hope if you can swap the bleed nipple and hose. It shouldn’t be a problem. I’m interested as this would be a potential upgrade for my 301!

tjagain

No need to ask hope – if the threads are the same you can do it. My older hopes you certainly can. It doesn’t matter where the pressure comes into the caliper.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve run my 601 with the same layout as wwaswas ^, though, on Formula brakes with 203mm rotor. Not had any contact issues.

chiefgrooveguru

I have M4 on one bike and E4 on the other and the only difference I can tell between the calipers is the bleed port and hose swapping places. I don’t see an issue with the hose running near the disc though, as previously said the caliper and disc move in synchrony.

andybrad

will take some pics tonight.

andybrad

OK here’s some pics of the brake.

https://goo.gl/photos/GxiXadDDTyxw775B9

I’ve seen others haven’t used the first clip like I have but that seems more dodgy. I’m happy ish with the fitting rotated to the frame as this keeps it on the far side of the disc. But if it’s against the stop then it would cross the disc!

wwaswas

I can see what you mean.

The banjo on my caliper rotates int he opposite plane to yours so I was able to get the hose well clear of the disk by rotating it ‘up’.

I did use the last clip but it looks different sue to the above.

I’d be wary of moving the banjo to the other side of the caliper – you’ll have the hose going outside the seat stay and the banjo will be very vulnerable to branches, rocks etc even if you don’t fall.

PErsonally I’d let the air out of the shock and cycle the suspension a few times – if the hose is staying clear of the disk I’d leave it as is but keep an eye on the hose for scoring.

You could always switch to a braided hose which would resist being cut more?

andybrad

Will have a look tonight and see what its like when it fully bottoms out (forgot to do that) but with the hose in its normal position it does catch the disk unless i shorten the hose and loose the last clip but id be worried about it getting pushed into the disk then in thick mud.

https://goo.gl/photos/Yq756TSpZEyemnyGA
    this shows what i mean about the pad spring. on the x2 its always central and even if i open the spring up it can still slide side to side. Ive had the rear springs eaten before when the pads get low so its something im concerned about.

TimP
    Free Member

This guy has gone up to the seatstay early with his hose – could you do anything like that? Keeping an eye on this in case I change brakes!

EDIT: Here is wwaswas set up from the other side from another thread

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Andy,
    I’ve got E4s on both the 301 and the 601.
    I’ve run the hoses through all three clips on the chainstay, as per the wwaswas setup.
    On the 301, I have standard black hose. It moves longitudinally through the chainstay clips under suspension compression. When the suspension compresses, the hose moves backwards and the gap between hose and rotor remains pretty constant. As the suspension then returns, the hose pulls forward through the clips and away from the rotor.
    After about 6 months of riding through Winter slop, some signs of abrasion are starting to show on the hose at the rearmost clip.

I have braided hose on the 601 and the clips hold this firm, but the flex of the hose material seems to keep it away from the rotor better.

Both work, but both need to be checked by cycling the suspension without pressure in the shock.

wwaswas

Here is wwaswas set up from the other side from another thread

Thanks MrP 🙂

I miss that bike. There’s just so much engineering going on.

P20

I’ve always ran mine this way:
    (Granted not the clearest photo but you get the idea)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EzkRLf]Liteville 301 compressed[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Can’t see why you couldn’t do the same, just reverse the hose. Mines been fine

andybrad

interesting.

Ive gone from braided to the standard hope hose as i liked the black tbh 🙂 maybe i should go back..

richey it seems youve swapped your nipple over?

P20

Mine all black now. The brakes are the older Tech model so the hose is that side. I’m guessing hope changed it with more bikes having internal routing and exiting on the inside of the chain stays

P20

A slightly better pic.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RKz4tN]Untitled[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

andybrad

Yea that’s how I had the tech 2

TimP
    Free Member

Wwaswas I’ll let you oggle mine

andybrad

OK, my googlefu shows some of the liteville riders run e4 brakes. They run them like I do with the first clip off.

This gives a large loop ad the suspension compresses and doesn’t seem to offer any advantage at all.

Fixing the hose to the top of the inside dropout where the cable tie. Holes are stops any flex at the caliper hose. I guess this is why they did it.

However I’ve gone back to the original setup I’ve got as I think this is better all round.

Hmm.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Liteville 301 and hope e4 brakes’ is closed to new replies.