Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Liteville 301: 160 or 140m?
  • mdoubleu

I have a Liteville 301 Mk11. I have recently changed the rear wheel to a 26 while keeping the front at 27.5 so I can run a wider back wheel. As I’ve recently purchased a Capra for bike park and generally doing the bigger stuff I am wondering as to people’s experience of riding Liteville with the 140 at the rear?
    Would like to get some inputs and points of view before making the change and buying the rocker arms…

P20

I’ve only ever ran mine with 140mm. 160mm piles up front. 26″ front and rear. I guess it depends on how hard you ride it, but I’ve never felt the need for more travel. I’ve toyed with the idea of trying the longer plates, but just left as it is.

Lester
    Free Member

im in this position myself, so am watching with interest, i already have the 160 plates.

the liteville team rider johannes pistrol runs his 301 with 140 rear and 160 front so …..

http://www.liteville.com/en/110/team-riders/johannes-pistrol/

closetroadie
    Free Member

I was running mine at 140 for a short time. Then I put the 160’s on. It raised the BB height slightly but I couldn’t tell any significant difference. Probably go back to 140’s for a bit as the shorter travel will suit my style of riding better (once I’ve got my bike back).
    27.5 +160mm Pikes/26 rear.

HansRey

mine is 140mm. Never tried the 160mm plates. I think it’s fab and wouldnt need any more for the UK. For the alps, it’s a different barrel of fish.

(PS. i’m selling my MK11 301 frame if anybody is interested)

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I previously had a Mk8 with 140 plates but have had a Mk11 with 160 plates for a couple of years and recently fitted 140 plates.

As noted above, 160 raises the BB a bit, on what is already quite a tall bike. They give a mega plush and pretty bottomless ride – some might say a bit soggy.

First ride with the 140 plates on again I bottomed the suspension before I tidied up my riding. They give a more sprightly ride and 140 is fine for my UK use – I’m not into big (any?) air.

I’ve gone from 170mm forks and 160 rockers to 150 and 140 and think it’s probably about right for my use. I’ll keep the longer travel stuff just in case I go to the Alps again but probably won’t fit them anytime soon for the UK.

NB, rockers do come up on Ebay from time to time and usually go for around £50 posted. Worth looking on Ebay Germany as there are lots of Litevilles on there.

Andy-R

I’m currently using my 301 Mk10 with 170mm forks (Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti) and the 160mm rockers. I’m in the process of building up another Mk10 to take to Greece, (probably next year now, unfortunately) – at the minute that has 140mm rockers and I’m going to use another set of 170mm Marzocchis on that too.

So, when it’s up and running I’ll be able to do a back-to-back test and see which I prefer. I’m under no illusion that I need 170mm of fork travel, but they are beautiful forks, so……

I don’t mind the BB height, to be honest, but then I’m not railing swoopy, bermed turns very often (never, even) – more just picking my way through rocky riverbeds and down narrow, rutted tracks. With the highish BB and a 26T chainring you can roll pretty big rock steps……

TimP
    Free Member

When I got mine it was set up with Lyriks, DH tyres and the 160mm plates, and some 140mm plates in the box. It was so smooth it took a lot of the fun out of our local woods and was pretty heavy too. As Hamish said, a bit “soggy”

Now running Fox 34s at 150mm, 140 plates, got the shock serviced, lighter wheels and tyres, and it is great in the woods and I was never wishing for more travel at Afan. Not sure I’ll ever go back and put the 160mm plates on (but I do wonder what it would feel like!)

mdoubleu

Mine is currently running at 160 at both ends, 27.5 up top and 26 at the back. I have the Fox Talas so can change to 140 or 150mm. Think I just need to bite the bullet and get the plates to make back end 140 – will keep an eye on ebay or guess they can be bought from Liteville direct?
    Has anyone played with the headset to change the headangle?

Andy-R

I don’t mind it feeling a bit plush, to be honest. I’m using coil forks plus Maxxis DHR2 tyres front and rear (so it’ll never be light). As an antidote to plush I use my rigid singlespeed……
    Climbs very well on loose, rocky stuff even with 170mm forks with no travel adjust and no lockout. I rarely switch on Propedal either – I just leave it open in the “1” position.
    Fine, fine bikes, in my opinion – I really don’t know why you don’t see more of them. Well, I’m sure you do in places like Austria and Germany…….

Andy-R

Has anyone played with the headset to change the headangle?

No, ‘cos I’m just a peasant with Mk10’s and they can’t be changed, unfortunately.

Suspension rocker plates from bikecomponents.de. 124.00€

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Liteville/

Andy-R

Lester – Member
    im in this position myself, so am watching with interest, i already have the 160 plates.

the liteville team rider johannes pistrol runs his 301 with 140 rear and 160 front so …..

On the other hand, Tobi Leonhardt was using his Mk 11 with 160mm (and a 29″ front wheel…..) so it depends on the individual, I suppose. For this “vertriding” stuff I’d just run a bit more sag to get the back to squat a bit more under rearwards weight transfer – that’s what I do with the 160mm setup anyway. But then I’m never dropping more than about 750mm, I suppose, and I’m never hitting stuff very fast. Because I’m too old and too much of a wuss nowadays.

So, I’ll probably just run with what I’ve got, unless anyone wants to sell me a pair of 160mm plates?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’m running both the variospin -1.5deg headset and off set bushings – climbed ok with Marz NCR350 ti 170mm forks and a 26 rear wheel. Now have b front and rear and slightly dropped NCR350s (thanks Sports Pursuit).

welshfarmer

Run mine with 27.5 both ends, 150mm pikes with -1.5 headset and currently on the 140 plates out back. Absolutely fine for everything I am doing in the UK. I even did the Alps with this set up last year with no issues. The first time I took it to the Alps I had a 26″ rear wheel and the 160 plates and the only difference is it make the really steep stuff slightly easier.

andybrad

Im running 27.5 front and 26 rear. 160 pikes dropped to 150mm. and 140 plates.

Ive recently (few months) fitted offset bushes and a RCT3 shock. Not as plush but its almost like cheating now. I love it!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Liteville 301: 160 or 140m?’ is closed to new replies.