Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Literary assistance required 'Call of the Wild' Jack London.
  • Ambrose

I'm trying to write a new piece of work for key stage 4 pupils. WJEC GCSE Physics 2, Forces and Motion. As ever, I'm keen to include as many esoteric/ thought provoking ideas as possible and I seem to remember a scene in the book/film 'Call of the Wild' where Buck? has to break the sled free from the ice.

Q1 Am I remembering things correctly?
    Q2 Does anyone have any kind of reference to the passage/ scene? Online would be fantastic for me.
    Q3 Is this a suitable example of friction? and the fact that it is more difficult to bring an object into motion than it is to maintain that motion.

BTW, I'm trained as a geologist so please don't shoot me down. I'm after help not criticism, I can do that on my own.

Keef
    Free Member

Q1, A,yes.
    Q2,can't help,sorry
    Q3,yes,as far as I can remember physics lessons from 30 years ago 😉

excellent book btw,of course,the film was a little disappointing in comparison.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes.

I have a copy of the book and would have to type it out

its not friction ( as I think of it anyway – some smartarse will tell bme better) – or more rightly stiction – the sled is frozen to the ice so the dog is breaking the bond the ice has created. I suppose its friction of a type but more like the sled has been glued to the ground with ice.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member
    mansonsoul
    Free Member

I much preferred Martin Eden. I think it's great that you are bringing in stuff like this into your lessons. Bamboozle their minds, expand their literary horizons!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Literary assistance required 'Call of the Wild' Jack London.’ is closed to new replies.