• This topic has 35 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Listening to music while riding.
  • Nick

I’ve wondered about rigging up some small speakers to my bars or camelbak so I can listen to tunes while riding, don’t much like in ear headphones so can you imagine my delight when I spotted this on the While out Riding facebook page.

Boombotix.com

If it’s good enough for Cass on his tour of Patagonia, it’s good enough for me!

hora
    Free Member

I ride to be within nature, in the woods. Yesterday I heard beautiful birdsong for the first time in a long time.

If I suddenly heard Van Halen or lovers rock I’d throw the rider and his bike over the tops of the trees into another valley.

krixmeister

I too like listening to music when riding on my own (albeit with headphones), but the general STW consensus seems to be it’s a major MTB etiquette faux pas. Having said that – many riders here in Asia use small handlebar or top-tube mounted speakers, and it’s never made me or anyone I was with want to resort to violence.

Nick

Van Halen? FFS I’ve got much better taste in music than that.

richmars

I’m with hora on this. Even if it was music I liked, I’d still resort to something physical to regain the peace.

Nick

Maybe I could play this for Hora and richmars to help them deal with their anger issues?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

nada, no, dont and wouldnt. mountain biking is about being away from that urban noise. not in a hippy communing with nature way, birdsong way but just in an away from city life way.

once had a guy in a group ride tagging along at the back with headphones on, he kept up but frankly he might as well have pished off for a solo ride. I found it pretty ignorant and unsociable. Solo offroad with headphones? sure, fill ya boots, but audio others can hear is audio graffiti and I dont want it.

hooli

Agree with hora, bad idea. Either get used to earphones or enjoy the peace and quiet like the rest of us.

krixmeister

Re being away from urban noise… You guys must ride with some amazingly silent bikes, as on any ride I’ve been on, especially group rides, there is no such thing as solitude on the trail – with several buzzing Hope and Chris King hubs, chain slap, missed shifts, and the odd swearing. So as before – while I don’t have an external speaker, I certainly can’t see how someone else’s Van Halen, or Taylor Swift, or Yanni, or Teletubbies theme song or whatever is going to immediately ruin my ride.

But I recognize I’m in the STW minority on this one. Anyway – use your speakers if you want, I don’t but I won’t chuck you off the bike if you do!

drlex
    Free Member

I’ll cop to having something similar on my commuting bike, but Blue Peter-stylee, being a cheap X-mini superglued onto a spare Smart bracket. Wouldn’t use it on the trails, solo or group, as per ti_pin_man’s view, but it’s useful to alert the occasional pedestrian on the shared-path section of my commute.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone who needs music must hate their own company/thoughts! 😀

I’ll sometimes drive in silence, just daydream really. Same with riding. On some techy descents I occasionally think about going out/whats for tea.

On ‘Van Halen’- no matter what you play it’ll sound shit to anyone else.

Every seen a car with loudish music playing and thought ‘wow that sounds great’?

jekkyl

The proper music gets me absolutely hammering the pedals.

Nick

I’d have this, so I can feel like Wade Simmons in the first Collective movie:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2vrFcvar4[/video]

passtherizla
    Free Member

People on the train/ smoke shelter at work/ in the street have been told many many times by me to go and buy some earphones. As I don’t want to listen to their tinny shit music. Been told to do one a number of times too, but I fully expected that with the type of person that tends to force their musical tastes on everyone around them…. If you want to listen to music in a ride just get some headphones and stop being the kid listening to ‘German whip’ full blast on the bus.. Get me fam?

shermer75
    Free Member

For that you’ll be needing a pwopper gaff

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a4-CcJBYBns[/video]

wordnumb
    Free Member

Agree with people above. Wear headphones or don’t, there’s no excuse for running a mobile disco from your handlebar.

hora
    Free Member

I bet you have music on when you make love too?

Top gun?

zoo200
    Free Member

Headphones worn here. people don’t want to hear your dub step…. its much like when there is a group of hoodies on the bus playing their crunky noise!

chakaping
    Free Member

For that you’ll be needing a pwopper gaff

That’s given me a pwopper lol.

chakaping
    Free Member

And to the OP – do it if you like, but don’t let me catch you playing this shit as you shred berms in slow motion…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU&feature=kp[/video]

makkag
    Free Member

For long/ish Solo rides i like one ear-bud in and some choons !

Nick

chum3
    Free Member

You can buy headphones that also let you hear what’s going on around you. Best of both?

bearnecessities

I bet you have music on when you make love too?

Top gun?

You mean Hot Shots.

l0key
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6sheoo7GE[/video]

D0NK

Quite like to have some toons on while solo riding, whileoutriding can **** right off tho. It’s the cycling equivalent of the **** in their mum’s car in danger of blowing the speakers listening to some bassy aural turd curled out by tiny tempah or whoever is the current artiste du jour at top whack, just pisses everyone else off.

Headphones or don’t bother.

DezB
    Free Member

Some bloke rode past me on a Mountain Mayhem lap once with music playing out of his Camelbak. I would’ve abused him but it was London Calling, so I quite enjoyed the moment.

I use headphones on the road, but never offroad.

Northwind

Yeah, I’m not going to tell anyone off for listening to music while riding but broadcasting it’s something different entirely, unless you have your own personal hills.

fasthaggis

OP

I am sure that you are a lovely person,but using that device would put you in the same group as fat Goldwing riders,cruising through towns listening to Jennifer Rush on full volume .
    I despise them almost as much as pizza delivery scooters and people on C90s learning ‘The Knowledge’ .
    You have been warned 😛

fathomer

Agree with the majority, earphones or nothing. You’d be like the annoying kids in the street with their phones blearing out.

Rich
    Free Member
    Nick

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect and have tunes on your bike”
    ? Mark Twain

(ok he didn’t really say the last bit)

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I can’t stand music played on tinny speakers, nor can I understand how anyone can think it’s perfectly ok to make other people listen to their taste in music in public.

I commute by train every day and people sometimes do this with their phones while the whole carriage hates them. I used to carry earphones just in case I needed to avoid having to listen someone’s tunes leaking out of their open ear/headphones.

plumber
    Free Member

I love Van Halen

spacemonkey

I’m with Hora and co on this one. Music has absolutely no place for me when riding. I like to take in my immediate surroundings and that includes the sounds of nature. Tis the opposite though when running as a few banging tunes keep me right in the groove.

hora
    Free Member

I love Van Halen

I don’t mind it but if I was having a house party I wouldn’t expect others to listen to it.

If I saw someone out on the trail listening to music I’d laugh out loud/wouldn’t be able to help myself. It’d look ‘odd’.

On the road? Maybe not as bad but then theres the car approaching from behind noise/closing off one of your most important senses.

Same with off road, listening/hearing helps with concentration and balance..

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Listening to music while riding.’ is closed to new replies.