Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Listening to an Album – All the tracks in the right order
  • Lifer
    Free Member

😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes….

The ending songs, just tie it all up.

Sniffle.
    The lead singer is playing at a local bike race later in the year…

franki
    Free Member

I always listen to albums right through in the correct order without skipping tracks.
    I would like to think the artist has put a deal of effort into arranging the running order and therefore to get the best out of the music, that’s how it should be heard.
    I still buy loads of CDs every month. Call me old fashioned, but to me, downloads just seem throwaway and of no great worth, where a physical album can be likened to a piece of art.
    The ability to cherry-pick and download single tracks is a product of the short-attention-span generation and artist albums shouldn’t allow it IMHO, I think it’s disrespectful to the artist, however I can see that choosing just the tracks you really like from v.a. compilations is handy and saves you money.

I guess your point of view depends on how serious you are about collecting and listening to music. I can see maybe, that many “pop” music fans are only really interested in current individual songs for the duration of their popularity, whereas I still play years-old albums over and over.

CountZero

I hereby challenge you to download and listen to the new Daft Punk album all the way through without having a sneaky funkadelic boogie round the house getting bored and putting something far more interesting on.

I wouldn’t even bother, I think I’ve heard the entire album several times over while 6Music get all sweaty and overexcited about some recycled 80’s disco, there’s nothing could make me listen to it from choice; I didn’t enjoy the music the first time around, thirty years on, I haven’t revised my opinion. If I want a Funkadelic boogie, I’ll stick on ‘One Nation Under A Groove’.
    Anyway, if I’m at home, listening via the computer, then I always select the album at track one, and play right through, and if I’m listening to the CD, then that’s a given.
    In the car, or when I’m out walking and listening, then it’s shuffle mode by default; I love the surprise element, like having your own radio station. It’s especially enjoyable when the ‘pod selects, out of several thousand tracks, or with my Classic, nearly 16,000, two or three covers of the same song, and plays them in sequence. I always love it when that happens, and it’s even better when you get the original, then three different covers, on shuffle mode!
    Only ever happened once. 😀

zbonty

For most people music is just background noise isn’t it. Like TV or even a film. Do a bit of ironing, cook dinner, listen to music simultaneously. Shame really.

I’ve just listened to the new Boards of Canada LP which sounded good.

RichPenny
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member
    You wouldn’t read a book or watch a film in ‘shuffle’ mode so why do it to an album.
    I was just thinking last week how frustrating it is that any time I want to look something up in a dictionary I have to read the entire two volume set cover to cover.

Good point. The last time I listened to Phillips Test Disc One, all the way through 30 minutes 1kHz 0dB I was secretly pining for 60 seconds 300Hz -6dB left.

hoodie
    Free Member

Maximo Park, our earthly pleasures….brilliant.

nicko74

It’s pretty much the only way I listen to albums, really – and the main reason why I’ll always buy albums, probably on physical media.

There always used to be a bit of a method to them, too, as shown by various Chemical Brothers albums:
    – 1st track rocking, 2nd track a bit quiet, 3rd track pretty good, 4th fantastic. 5-8 filler, 9 surprise hit, then tail off to the end.
    Or: 1st track quiet, 2nd track top notch, 5th track awesome, tail off somewhat.

Exile on Main Street, Exile on Coldharbour Lane, Youth and Young Manhood – all albums I’ve listened to recently from start to finish, and all work better that way.

Northwind

Best I can think of though is Neon Handshake by Hell is for Heroes- turns out if it takes you years to get your debut out, you can polish it to unholy perfection. They did one of those stupid “Whole first album in a row” shows in London last year and it was bloomin magnificent. 10 years on and still as fresh and exciting as day one.

More recent, David Comes To Life by the mighty ****ed Up… It’s a narrative but also the frankly less good songs in the middle make the fantastic start and incredible ending even more fantastic and incredible. I thought I was too old to have albums knock me out like that.

flibrose
    Free Member

Back in black. AC/DC. It is wrong to hear the tracks out of sequence. it has to be listened to in order. I start to sing the next song as the previous one finishes

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Discovery by Daft Punk is a brilliant example of this, it actually feels like a journey. Watch the animated movie of the album if you can find it on youtube. It’s called interstella 5555.

Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange and Gorillaz’s Plastic Beach are also really good to listen to from start to finish.

mightymule
    Free Member

I nearly always listen to albums all the way through.

A good example is any of Nick Cave’s work – he put the songs in that order for a reason!

hatter

Don’t get the chance as often as I’d like but inspired by discovering new I indie record shop has opened within walking distance of my house I dug out my double 12″ gatefold of Baroness’s The Blue Album, damn, there’s a slab of wax.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oh yes. Some great examples up there^^. 😀

My additions to nicely sequenced albums:
    Old: “Arthur” by the Kinks
    Oldish: The Final Cut
    Less old: Dog Man Star, Pills Thrills & Bellyaches, and Parklife
    Recentish: ‘The Last Day Of Summer’ by White Denim.

Also for the OP, “His ‘n’ Hers” is wonderfully well ordered.

TheSanityAssassin

Some albums are so ingrained in my psyche that I can hear a song randomly on the radio and then not only automatically start the next track on the album in my head as the first one finishes, but I’m also disappointed when the DJ either speaks or just mixes in the next completely different track on their playlist!
    I also experience the same kind of disappointment when songs don’t follow each other that have no connection whatsoever – other than randomly being on any one of quite a few ‘mix’ tapes that I used to listen to a lot at work years ago.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Iron Maiden’s Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is one of the few I listen to in the correct order

Dio’s Magica is another one that springs to mind

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Listening to an Album – All the tracks in the right order’ is closed to new replies.