Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Listening to an Album – All the tracks in the right order
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Friday night chill here, been a little while so dropped back into the collection and just listened to Pulp – Different Class start to finish.

Reminds me of the days of actually putting a disc,tape or record on then letting it play till it’s over.

Seems a strange concept these days.

Need to decide what to play next…

binners

You after suggestions mike? After watching Made of Stone last week, I was reminded just how bloody brilliant this is from start to finish…

fasthaggis

I think about this a lot as I lazily switch my player to shuffle.
    In the age of the download ,will musicians stop making an effort on album play order?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hopefully not as long as Radiohead are making music. It is becoming a lost art.

anonymouse
    Free Member

In the age of the download ,will musicians stop making an effort on album play order?

The days of the album are probably over. Young folk nowadays just steal the tracks they like so there’s pressure to make every track a singalong single.

I miss the days of the well constructed album with 2 sides and everything in its proper place.

fasthaggis

Mike,yeah I listened to Amok in the proper order coming in this morning 🙂

bigblackshed

A lot of the music I listen to is still all about the “album” or collection of songs that tell a story. Take some of the tracks out of context and they are less than the sum of the parts.

ianv
    Free Member

Linkin Park, Thousand Suns works really well as a complete album, as does Random Access Memories.

bencooper
    Free Member

I can’t stand shuffle mode – it’s okay to shuffle the entire iPod, but shuffling a single album is a waste.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve listened to 2 new albums in the correct order this week (cos I bought the CDs)
    Child of Lov – Child of Lov
    !!! – Thr!!!er
    plus revisited White Stripes – Icky Thump

mostly have the iPod on shuffle though.

willard

I think the last couple of albums I’ve listened to that way were both by Pink Floyd… The Wall and Wish You Were Here.

Both awesome.

I really should do that again sometime. Reminds me of the days I spent listening to all those vinyl LPs as a child.

D0NK

mp3 player with limited capacity means I very rarely have a full album so mostly it’s a bunch of tracks on shuffle, there’s something nice about the fact that once in a while the weather, trails, your uphill-fitness/downhill-gnar and shuffle all combine to give a fantastic bit of riding with the perfect soundtrack.

In the car I normally listen to CDs in order, don’t drive very often tho, certainly not an album length drive anyway.

ninfan
    Free Member

I hereby challenge you to download and listen to the new Daft Punk album all the way through without having a sneaky funkadelic boogie round the house 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

The Streets – A grand don’t come for free. It has a storyline running through the whole album.

DezB
    Free Member

I hereby challenge you to download and listen to the new Daft Punk album all the way through without having a sneaky funkadelic boogie round the house getting bored and putting something far more interesting on.
    I failed (twice).

Coyote
    Free Member

bencooper has it.

In my mind, the artist has usually put some thought into the running order. I respect that.

justatheory
    Free Member

A lot my favourite albums grew on me with repeat playing. Favourite tracks get replaced with new favourites the more you listen. I definitely think that is being lost with the volume of music people have on their devices these days. Also it’s too easy to click next, rather than listening to the whole album. I’m not sure people live with their albums the same way as before the digital download era. It’s a shame because it probably impacts the way a lot of bands make music.

Saying all that, I wouldn’t like to go back to cassettes and walkmans.

jamj1974

Ben Cooper hits the nail on the head.

NJA

My Top 5 Great albums to listen to start to finish –

Mirage – Camel
    The Look of Love – ABC
    Sgt Pepper – Beatles
    Ladykiller – Ce Lo Green
    What’s the story – Oasis

wordnumb
    Free Member

Depends on the record. Some albums are written to be heard sequentially, other are just a bunch of songs with the duff tracks spread between the good ones. Buying music on cassettes taught me how to listen to music, particularly noise and free jazz, because I’d not want to waste walkman batteries fastforwarding.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Do it all the time with Spotify at work. The last one was gorky’s zygotic mynci, How I Long To Feel The Summer In My Heart.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and we had Sheik Yebouti yesterday afternoon. Cue raised eyebrows from those who’d not heard it before.

zippykona

In a similarish vein. Making a mix tape was always so much more fun than arranging them on your iPod.
    You’d sit there listening to the song,getting into it and thinking what song should follow it. Then you’d flick through your albums and enroute find albums you’d forgotten all about.
    Aah, to have the time to spend a whole evening putting together 90 minutes of music. To have the space to have all my gear out.
    Music is such an important medium,they don’t parade a statue around before football matches,no one chooses what painting they want at their funeral. It seems though ,the easier it is to get the more it’s impact diminishes.

kennyp
    Free Member

Clockwork Angels, out just last year, has to be listened to in the right order to be fully appreciated. Best album I’ve heard in years and years.

binners

zippykona- How right you are.

I have never once had my ipod on shuffle. I do spend a lot of time putting different playlist together for various moods/occassions though

Far more fun! 😀

darrenm
    Free Member

Always in the order the artist has put it in. You wouldn’t read a book or watch a film in ‘shuffle’ mode so why do it to an album.

lemonysam
    Free Member

You wouldn’t read a book or watch a film in ‘shuffle’ mode so why do it to an album.

Because that’s a terrible analogy?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm the missus is home back to shuffle 🙁

cheers_drive

I normally listen to music when travelling so use shuffle to avoid having to select the next album / track. However last weekend I painted the lounge and listen to several complete albums. Really forgot how good a complete album can be.

kendo954
    Free Member

still listen to complete albums (well on the ipod mostly)

Last nights offering was the new eels album – Wonderful Glorious (which it is)

convert

One of things I can do that I have always amazed myself by being able to do is not having a clue what track is coming next on an album until about 5 seconds before the end of the track before when I can suddenly sing it. That’ll be a lost phenomenon with the yoof of today!

emsz
    Free Member

Will normally listen once all the way through, then unless its a very special album( breakup or something like that) I probably never do again. I do make playlists though, and they’re never shuffled, that would be wrong, and bad things would happen

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes….

The ending songs, just tie it all up.

Sniffle.

darrenm
    Free Member

You wouldn’t read a book or watch a film in ‘shuffle’ mode so why do it to an album.

Because that’s a terrible analogy?

Why? A lot of albums tell a story (like a book or film) as you listen to the tracks in sequence. Hitting shuffle just makes the album become a collection of songs. It will still be a good collection of songs if you like the artist but listen to it from start to finish and as talked about above it can become a greater thing to enjoy.

binners

So does this mean that only properly decrepit old duffers go to those gigs where a band plays a classic album in its entirety?

I’ve been to a good few of those. Spiritualized’s Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space being the best. Hmmmm… might bung that on now actually 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

I was just thinking last week how frustrating it is that any time I want to look something up in a dictionary I have to read the entire two volume set cover to cover.

fasthaggis

In contrast,Spotify and Youtube now takes away some of the chance of buying a rubbish album on the strength of a couple of good tracks.
    I have more than a few crap CDs that were bought after hearing a single 🙂

almightydutch
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member

The Streets – A grand don’t come for free. It has a storyline running through the whole album.

Couldn’t think of a finer example. Not everyone’s cup of tea but Mr Skinner’s finest album is high on my list

Lifer
    Free Member

Absolute rubbish to say that people don’t make albums anymore.

Maybe the people you listen to don’t…

8)

Don’t know if that smiley is smug enough, but will have to do.

fasthaggis

Absolute rubbish to say that people don’t make albums anymore

Don’t think anyone was suggesting that.

More that they will end up being ignored by the masses and so SOME bands might stop making the effort to plan out an album set.
    🙄 < not sure if those raised eyes go high enough 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Listening to an Album – All the tracks in the right order’ is closed to new replies.