Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Listening Loud
  • Xylene
    Free Member

How many of you get the opportunity to have a good blast of your music on a decent set of speakers?

Moved house a few months back, neighbours are normally not here, or are 100m or so away, so can blast away, and with a chromecast it has made life easier.

I forgot how good it is to be able to listen to music loud. Just need some speaker stands now?

Edukator
    Free Member

Stands? Just stack the 4x12s on top of each other.

mattyfez

Bass bins make convienient speaker stands.

binners

I have a playlist titled ’11’ for when I’m in the house on my own 😀

Xylene
    Free Member

I was sad to hear that B&W have been bought up by a tech startup

andysredmini
    Free Member

I do. I refused to move house unless it was to a detached house and I was allowed to buy some nice speakers. For normal listening I use my KEF LS50’s but when I want to get loud I also turn on the KEF surround sound and sub woofer. The room literally shakes.

BillMC

Did precisely that last night with MrsMC, three tracks at high volume filled the room with works of art (or at least Stones tracks from the 60s). Very therapeutic, can make you tearful, great to listen in a really concentrated way.
    KEFs driven by a NAIM lump, both results of past recommendations on here from the STW cognoscenti.

retro83
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member
    The room literally shakes.

andysredmini pictured earlier…

edit: **** it, dillinja’s going on tonight

“i prefer to feel it in my chest than to not feel it”

Xylene
    Free Member

Exposure super XX B&W 601s and some fancy cable that I can’t remember how much it cost other than a student loan 18 years ago.

Floor standers are tempting but pricey

I also have no walls in this room, just put up some mozzy screens, concrete front and back walls, and 6m of mozzy screen, I can listen to the music up the street.

binners

plyphon
    Free Member

Partied in a place called “Chalet” in Berlin two weeks ago. That was sufficiently loud on the Funktion1’s there.

DJing a house party this weekend in the forest with a weighty KRK monitoring setup. Tad harsh but great for filling standard house size rooms

somouk
    Free Member

Flimsy thin walls here so not as often as I like. I have to rely on headphones if i want it quite loud most of the time.

There are off occasions when the neighbours are away I’ll play it a bit louder.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Yep, have to wait until I’m home alone generally but can get the windows vibrating if I really try. B&W P4 floorstanders 20 years old with a REL subwoofer. No attached neighbours thankfully. Need a nice set of speakers that will do low volume late night listening too so looking at some Harbeths for a future upgrade.

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVWZwZq_QU[/video]

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I tottle off down the garden and fire up the technoshed, spot of Aphex last night.

slowoldman

ATC speakers here with Harbeth studio subs and 150W monoblocks. Detached house. 😀

Sundayjumper

My hearing is pretty knackered already and I don’t want to make it worse, so no, not really.

maccruiskeen

I used to live in a little cottage in the Highlands with no neighbours between me and the horizon. I had some 6ft tall speakers with 12″ drivers that I’d built as sculptures for an exhibition years earlier but had never actually been wired up to anything before I moved there. Although made with functioning components they’d never actually been made to be used but when I did eventually fire them up they actually sounded pretty good. The cabs were open-bottomed and used the floorboards as part of the base reflex, meaning the whole subfloor void was effectively part of the speaker.

I lived there alone and used to have a little friday night wig out after work well aware that I couldn’t disturb anyone. One night – mid wig out – I went to the loo, a bit tipsy I opened the living room door and was confronted with a hallway full of strobing light. Went to the front door and there were the police – backlit by blue flashing lights but front-lit by a slower pounding white flashing light that was coming from behind me. The turned off their lights and the white light kept flashing and I was really confused by it all and they kept asking me if I was OK.

What had happened was the strip light in my kitchen was on the fritz. I thought it wasn’t working at all and must have left the switch in the on position – so while I was partying in the living room my kitchen light had sort of revived itself, zombie like, and was frantically flashing on and off. Passing traffic on the bypass a mile or so away presumed I was trying to summon help and called the police. Even with the light switched off over the next couple of hours I kept getting concerned strangers turning up at the door as the word was out on the highlands grapevine.

CountZero

Loving maccruiskeen’s story, that’s just wonderful! 😀

stumpy01

Don’t get the chance very often, but oh yes…

Detached house and some TDL RTL II’s that kick out a decent sound.
    Ideally I’d like to get a NAD 902 power amp to go with my 3020i integrated amp, but they are very rare now and the wife would be very unimpressed!
    It sounds ok as it is though….

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s even more fun doing it with a guitar. At my sister’s house (middle of the day on a housing estate!) me and my brother in law decided to try and find out how loud my amp would actually go.

I was standing in the hallway with my longest lead, shouting at the top of my voice to him by the controls “YEAH, A BIT MORE!! GO ON!!! MORE!!!” whilst playing the most god awful impression of some kind of zombie death metal noise over earsplitting feedback.

Brilliant 🙂

iancity1
    Free Member

Yeah, love it but the opportunity seldom arises. Listening to music loud is what its all about (especially if you are a bit of a rock/punk fan) 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

Listening to music on 11 right now and drinking new talisker Skye. Woooo

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yep 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

I have just discover a shop locally selling a set of exposure mono power amps and preamp for 600gbps, I should be able to trader in my integrated super xx and change for 300.

Temptation

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Listening Loud’ is closed to new replies.