Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Liquorice where's it gone?
  • BeardedDave
    Free Member

@BeardedDave – you should set up a business importing it

OT – Your surname isn’t Mumford is it? I assume there’s more than one Bearded Dave in the world, but it’d be good to find my bearded Dave again!

I already supply a small time importing service, bringing back liquorice for my mum, every time I’m back in the uk, as she suffers from the addiction too!

It would appear that there is more than one ‘Bearded Dave’, as my surname’s not Mumford and, as far as I’m aware, I’m not your Bearded Dave! 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK dude – nice to talk to you anyway!

Feel free to add any Daves you know to the “Dave-Spotting” thread I just opened!

IA

How has no-one mentioned:

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

yet? Just ask round the office and get a massive communal order in, always good fun, then you can swap sweets with folk.

pictonroad

I’m a hardcore licquoice addict. It all started trying some of the light stuff over here, then a Dutch friend started me on some of the harder stuff. Once I was hooked there was no going back. I went to the Netherlands to satisfy my cravings, there I could find the suppliers and I drifted into the incurable. I brought back 2Kg, sneaked it through customs but it won’t last, it never does.

Proper hardcore Dutch licquorice may actually contain crack for the hold it has over me.

Can’t stand the sweet British stuff anymore, I’ve gone too far.

pictonroad

When I was in Canada I discovered Tiger Tail Ice Cream and nearly slipped into a gluttony induced coma.

It’s a sharp orange flavour streaked through with Licquorice.
    It. Is. Incredible. 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

You need to visit here if your addiction is that bad 😆 salty skulls and salty fish should see you right.

derekfish
    Free Member

😯

This dutch stuff you’re speaking of….

No, don’t tell me.

wait

er…

Oh no, the ice cream pic you posted just loaded.. 💡

pictonroad

Derek. Ok, I’m shaking now.

At the weekly market in Leiden the licquorice truck visits. It’s standard market stall truck with hundreds. (seriously 😯 ) of varieties of Licquorice. Dutch aficianados know what each shape means in terms of taste so every ‘house’ or ‘fish’ etc is the same flavour no matter the manufacturer.

They had 4 or 5 smiling Women serving doling bag after bag of goods to the salivating masses. I just ordered a kilo of mixed.

It’s called drop over there.

verses

The power of suggestion!

pictonroad

I’m going here tomorrow morning, I can’t stand the shakes any longer.

http://www.caramella.co.uk/DutchLiquorice.html

derekfish
    Free Member

Had me out in the lunchtime looking, no joy.

That big box for 13 quid…

The way I’m feeling now, knowing also I’ve managed 7 months, it’ll barely last the weekend and those natural sticks, I’d ride chewing them, we don’t have Holland & Barretts down here in British Eastern Europe even Marks & Sparks gave up the ghost.

derekfish
    Free Member

Picton Road, is that in Wales? Anything to do with Picton Boats?

jaymoid

I went to Castle Douglas (Scotland) the other day, if you are ever passing (maybe when visiting 7 Staines?) there’s a good health food shop on the high street that sells the solid liquorice, as well as the liquorice root. There’s also a sweety shop close by to stock up on other classics, here’s my stash:

I’ve disolved a chunk of the liquorice (hard stuff) in some boiling water, which is a new one on me, but pretty good.

mmm liquorice.

rewski
    Free Member

There’s a great stall at Borough Mkt

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Liquorice where's it gone?’ is closed to new replies.